🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » The client requests a refund all the money af...
Page options
35f3db57
Community Member

The client requests a refund all the money after working for over a month on an hourly contract

Hello,

Good day everyone,

I worked 189.2 hours for a client under an hourly contract for over a month (January 19 to February 26). Then he had a problem with me and he ended the contract with poor review and requested to refund all payments again. He threatens me that he will take legal action against me if I don't pay back the money.

I have logged all the hours worked through the Upwork Time Tracker app. And he has also given me bonus money.

What should I do for this?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
NikolaS

Hi Chamod,

Thank you for reaching out to us. Your client can file a dispute for the hours you logged. You can choose to accept the dispute and have all disputed hours refunded to the client. Alternatively, you can reject it, and then Upwork’s Mediation Team will review the Work Diary against the terms of Upwork Hourly Protection. Make sure you respond to the dispute because if you don't respond within three business days, your client will automatically be refunded for all the disputed hours.

For more information about the process, check out this guide.

~ Nikola
Upwork

View solution in original post

19 REPLIES 19
34fee63b
Community Member

What's the reason to threaten you? If you did the work, and it's a presonal problem and not a work related problem (you didn't deliver, you did a job that wasn't the one expected, etc...), I don't see the reason why you should be refunding the money. Always if you DID the job.

Thanks, Felipe for your response. Yes, I did my best. He hopes to work like a programmed robot at a low rate. He always tried to reduce the fee and he tried to scare me and get my money back. He deleted evidence like chats, and call history to his advantage.

feed_my_eyes
Community Member

Since the client is in the U.S. and you're in Sri Lanka, and the amount is only about $800, there's no way that he's going to take any "legal action" - that's a meaningless threat. Don't agree to any refund. If you tracked your time properly - with memos describing what you were doing, and high enough activity levels - then Upwork will cover the payment even if the client tries to do a chargeback, but the bonus payment won't be protected. 

Thanks, Christine for your response. Yes, that's the thing. Your response is very helpful.

NikolaS

Hi Chamod,

Thank you for reaching out to us. Your client can file a dispute for the hours you logged. You can choose to accept the dispute and have all disputed hours refunded to the client. Alternatively, you can reject it, and then Upwork’s Mediation Team will review the Work Diary against the terms of Upwork Hourly Protection. Make sure you respond to the dispute because if you don't respond within three business days, your client will automatically be refunded for all the disputed hours.

For more information about the process, check out this guide.

~ Nikola
Upwork
35f3db57
Community Member

Thank you, Nikola. What you said is exactly right and helpful. I will act accordingly.

crart
Community Member

Are you saying that after the job is closed they still can request all money paid to the freelancer? You surely cannot be serious. If the client PAID the money and CLOSED the contract, it is over. I cannot imagine being asked to give back all money I earned after job is closed just because the client has mental - obviously - issues. Can you give legal base for such statement you made? Not UW "rules", I mean legal ones, based in the law and all that jazz, just give me paragraph that says "after the job is concluded you should be ready to give back money you earned should the client decided to ask for it".

Monthy Python is nothing compared to this circus...

Olga, what Nikola meant is that the client can dispute the hours logged by a Freelancer during their review period, which goes from Monday at noon UTC until the end of Friday (23:59 UTC), for the hours logged the week prior. 

The client can request a refund for payments released up to 365 days ago. If it's within 180 days of the payment, they can contact the freelancer directly through the Upwork platform; otherwise, they'll need to contact Support to place the request. It's at the sole discretion of the freelancer to issue that refund; It's not enforced, nor will the Upwork Mediation Team intervene in these cases. The entire refund process is further explained on this page

~ Luiggi
Upwork
bobafett999
Community Member

May be part of the problem was time zone difference.  You were hired full time virtual assistance job with USA time zone.  That is night in Sri Lanka.  Also, you admitted that you did have issues in full filing your duties.  I can appreciate your desire to make a decent living, but don't take on gigs that interfere with your sleep cycle - unless that is the only night shift job you want to do.

Don't refund any money.  He should have fired you long time ago.  He got what he paid for.

Hello Prashant,

Thank you for the response.

Yes, I accepted the job when he trained me to do several jobs and it can be managed with time. But he gave me personal duties including the work of two freelancers who did work before. He said that to me. But sometimes he wasn't satisfied with my work. Once I asked to end the contract. But he told me that he would put a poor review for the profile and if I worked more with his satisfaction, he would put a good one. I didn't think he was that kind of client.

Did the client communicate via the project's Upwork message board his threats of poor feedback if you didn't do everything he insisted you do in return for better feedback?

Will, that is a good point.  However,  I doubt that the buyer left any trail.  He is a seasoned buyer.

Prashant,

I just had a client make that mistake. I haven't refunded him any money and I haven't heard from him since I pointed out to him that freelancer manipulation via client feedback threats is frowned upon by Upwork.

I would never try to guess how "seasoned" another freelancer's clients are. I think it's best to start with the simplest approaches to a problem and work up from there.

I would never try to guess how "seasoned" another freelancer's clients are.

Not a guess. It's not as extreme as clients I mentioned on this post, but the client (they're in the US) has works like logo design for $5 and they've spent over $400k. 

And again, I'm not saying they're "evil". They're smart in using Upwork actually.

@Chamod, I don't know what the client asked that you have problem with, but if it's paid hourly, should it not be a problem?

Hello Will, No he messaged on Telegram.. not the Upwork message board.

yofazza
Community Member

I wrote this today

The client is a good example. Take a look at their job history. But, you're not a good match for them. 😁

35f3db57
Community Member

Hello Radia,

Thanks for the response. 

Yeah, That's true. I think so. 

melroen
Community Member

In the future, if you encounter a difficult client, ask Upwork Support for a transcript of your Contract Room message thread at the first hint of trouble, or a disturbing message so a client can't delete his messages.

Alternatively, take screenshots if a disturbing message is received for future evidence.  Do your work diligently and don't pad hours.  Be sure to follow Upwork's Hourly payment protection guidelines regarding keystroke activity, screenshots, and meaningful memos.

As Will L always advises: "Freelance defensively."

Document everything!

35f3db57
Community Member

Hello Melissa,

Thanks for your response. It is very helpful in future tasks.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members