🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » The most honest advise for new freelancers!
Page options
moolchand_kumar
Community Member

The most honest advise for new freelancers!

Hello Experts! 

What would be the most honest advice you will give to yourself when just starting your freelance Career? 

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
bobafett999
Community Member

It will be very rough.  You just finished college.  You don't have any demonstrated work experience.  IMO you should wait few years and learn practical side of your skill set.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
bobafett999
Community Member

It will be very rough.  You just finished college.  You don't have any demonstrated work experience.  IMO you should wait few years and learn practical side of your skill set.

Yes, I totally agree with you.  

wlyonsatl
Community Member

Moolchand,

Prashant is right - most clients on Upwork want to pay for work to be completed. They do not want to pay someone with no experience to learn new skills.

Yes, I agree with the point Prashant has mentioned. 

martina_plaschka
Community Member

Most freelancers never get hired. If you want to stand out, you need to be confident that you can compete with some of the best people worldwide for the job.

1d2c2394
Community Member

Thanks for your awesome conversation 

1d2c2394
Community Member

Ok.now give me some new adviced for honestly 

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

Set your rate to something more realistic, like $5/hour instead of $500/hour, and my advice is to not offer translation services if your English level is only basic. Do you have any other skills? 

Also, go through the Academy courses and learn how to construct an effective profile. Start by replacing your profile photo with one that shows your face.

Prashant gave you an honest answer.

Deleted because it was already said.

41a795c5
Community Member

While this is very true. I think that you may have to start on some small projects that open doors and build a reputation for yourself. Develop your skills with technology, the new field of prompt engineering(AI), and continue learning. Additionally work and freelance at the sametime. Always maintain a positive attitude and be disciplined.

tlsanders
Community Member

Don't go after every job you think you can do. Focus in on what you are very best at and go after the jobs where you know you can do a BETTER job than most other freelancers.

At the beginning, some freelancers think there are no jobs like this, but if you read job postings thinking about what you may have to offer that client that others won't, you'll likely find some based on some area of knowledge or experience or special interest or whatever.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members