cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This has probably already been answered, but oh well I'm lazy...

spiderbyte87
Community Leader
Aaron H Member Since: Jul 28, 2015
1 of 7

If I manually close a contract before the client pays, will they be able to leave feedback? I don't mind taking the JSS hit for it, but I have a feeling it's going to piss them off when I do it and I don't want a bad review.

Also, how heavily does the JSS algorithm weigh manually closing contracts, or perhaps more simply put: how much of a hit can I expect to take percentage-wise?

lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
2 of 7

I close contracts all the time. I'm about to close a couple more because the clients aren't familiar with how things work. I have no idea if it makes a difference but I always choose "Job completed successfully" since...well... JSS is supposed to be about job success.

I probably have a good mix of me closing them and the client closing them to avoid hitting me hard. I imagine it's better than leaving the contract open, so it's the best of 2 evils. Plus, I like a clean job page. Smiley Very Happy

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
3 of 7

fixed rate or hourly?

If nothing was paid there will be no public feedback.

There may be private feedback and that will determine how much of a hit you'll take

spiderbyte87
Community Leader
Aaron H Member Since: Jul 28, 2015
4 of 7

It's a fixed rate job.

So they can leave private feedback and that will affect my JSS? 

I'd really like a mod to step in with some concrete answers so I don't misstep and kill my score over this.

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Valeria K Community Manager Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
5 of 7

Hi Aaron,

A few points to note.

- If you (freelancer) close a fixed-price contract with a funded milestone, all funds from Escrow will be refunded to the client.

- If you close the contract an no money was paid on the contract, there will be no option for either party to provide public feedback. There will still be an option to provide private feedback and it will contribute to the Job Success Score.

- I would suggest communicating with the client before simply closing the contract and trying to resolve any issues or misunderstanding.

~ Valeria
Upwork
sk-andaleeb
Community Guru
Tanzeel Z Member Since: May 26, 2015
6 of 7

JSS will be affected when you return the money. Your current JSS Is good so I do not think it will be a big difference. It also depends on the number of jobs. I think it will be a 2%-3% decrease for you. 

It is just an estimate...

sk-andaleeb
Community Guru
Tanzeel Z Member Since: May 26, 2015
7 of 7

There won't be any public feedback if the price is below 1$. You must be paid 1$ before the either party can write a public review. 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS