🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Time Automatically deleted from my log
Page options
rjb06
Community Member

Time Automatically deleted from my log

I was on a screenshare consulting with a client. There was a lot of talking but barely any keystrokes pressed or mouse movements. Throughout the call you can see the client's face on the screenshare. When I checked my log, almost half of the time logged was removed. Upon contacting Upworks' customer support I was told the tracker automatically removes time as there isn't enough activity as defined by keystrokes and mouse movements. I was hired to solve a problem, not smash buttons. The solution proposed was to add manual time, but manual time isn't covered by payment protection, the ins and outs of which I had the displeasure of getting to know recently.

This is unacceptable, unilaterally removing hours based on a silly synthetic metric completely removed from problem the contract was created to address is ridiculous. A previous time I was complaining about this system, I was literally told to click around every so often. If there was ever a sign something was broken it is when solutions presented are band-aids of the type I just described. I shouldn't have to worry if I've clicked around enough when I'm in the middle of delivering for a client, this is just plain counter-productive. Upwork has an issue where they want to offer a "management/validation" layer on top of the work produced (ostensibly to validate their fees) but their solution is nowhere near sophisticated enough to deliver on the promise and the freelancer is stuck holding the bag. Customer service simply throws their hands up and says there's nothign they can do, the almight "system" has spoken. This right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing routine just feels wrong. How do I get in touch with someone to fix this?

4 REPLIES 4
ArjayM

Hi Richard,

I certainly understand why you're upset and we appreciate you sharing this here. As one of the members mentioned, If the tracker is not able to track any activities (mouse and keyboard), no tracked time will be logged. Generally, what happened to your logs is by design and within the process. You may want to contact your client and get to an agreement of manually adding the hours in question. Don't hesitate to update the support ticket that's been set up with your concern if you have further questions or are in need of assistance.

~ Arjay
Upwork
rjb06
Community Member

Arjay,

I understand that this is by design, that's the reason for this post: this isn't good design from the freelancer's perspective. I now have to justify hours that were never questioned to begin with. Upwork has settled on the simplest way to gauge work, keystrokes. What happens with work that requires verbal transfer of knowledge or extensive reading? That is clearly not something that will be accurately measured by your algorithm and none of your agents apparently have the ability to manually review and revert the deleted hours. Now the freelancer has to spend more time in pursuit of time essentially taken unilaterally by Upwork. What if the client doesn't allow manual time after this has occurred, what happens then? At the very least a manual review should be an option. The point of the tracker is to assure the freelancer isn't logging time that doesn't provide value to the client, but if you can see the client's face on the snapshots then it should be clear that the client is being engaged. The thought of having this happen then having an unscrupulous client deny the manual time then leaves me at a loss. What's Upwork's plan to address this?

6bfcdaf8
Community Member

I also experienced the same, but didnt understand why some periods were missed, i thought it was a bug or a temporary error but it was always when i'm on a call. Good to know. I think this can be considered as an enhancement request as some jobs or at least some part of all jobs happen on zoom calls. Usually you'll be clicking something or browsing web about the topic you're discussing at the same time so this won't happen. 

spectralua
Community Member

I have already raised this issue. Upwork agent replied that either you will push buttons like a monkey or you will not get paid.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members