🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Time entry
Page options
ary2021
Community Member

Time entry

Hello, could you help me and explain how to load hours from a past time? The one for the day I could do it by adding the corresponding information, but I cannot do manual from a month ago. Thank you

8 REPLIES 8
g_vasilevski
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Ariela,

Please keep in mind that you can only add manual time in the current week. Once the week has ended you will not be able to add manual time.
To learn more about manual time, check out this Help Article. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

Thanks! And do you know how I can upload time, from 3 weeks ago?

Thanks

Ary

prestonhunter
Community Member

Ariela:

It is Upwork’s intention that you use the desktop time tracker to log your time.

If you don’t do so, then the alternative is manually logged time. This is something that some (not all) clients allow.

If you log time manually, the proper time to record that time is immediately after every work session. Not next month. Not next week.  Not the next day. Not an hour later.

Keep in mind that if you work for four hours, from noon until 4:00 p.m., and plan on logging your time at 5:00 p.m. Then the client closes the contract at 4:30 p.m. The client is not required to pay you for your time. You just lost 4 hours of pay.

Thank you! Do you know how to upload hours from3 or 4 weeks ago?

Thanks

re: "Do you know how to upload hours from 3 or 4 weeks ago?"

You have the following options:

a) Eat the loss. Accept not getting paid for that time.

b) Ask the client to pay you using the client-side "Send bonus" tool. Tell him:

"Jeremy, I hope you can help me. I am a new Upwork freelancer and I did not realize that I was supposed to record my time each week. During the past 5 weeks I worked 21 hours, which I did not record. My current pay rate is $5/hour. 21 times $5 is $105. Could you please use the client-side 'Send bonus' tool to pay me $105 to cover the time that I neglected to record. If you can't do that, I will understand, but if you are able to do that it would really help me out. Thank you."

c) Ask the client for permission to add hours to THIS WEEK'S work diary, to cover the hours you worked but never recorded in the past. Note that this is not how Upwork intends for you to use the "Log manual time" functionality.

Note that a client is not required to allow you to log time THIS week for hours you worked in previous weeks. A client is not obligated to allow manual time. A client is not obligated to pay you for manual time if you do log it. An understanding client may well do these things. But if the client does not do so, she is not breaking any Upwork rules.

Thank you

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Ariela, 

I want to clarify that this is not possible. You are only able to edit or update Work Diary entries for the current week. You have until 12 p.m. UTC on Monday, 15-Monday, to edit this week's entries. You may read more about it here.

In this case, I hope you and your client can come to an amicable agreement where they can pay you for the work you completed in the past week. Please make sure that you log time on the contract using the Upwork Desktop App to ensure that you meet the requirements of Upwork Hourly Protection.

~ Avery
Upwork
ary2021
Community Member

Thank you!

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members