🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Top rated cant get new projects
Page options
Aleksandar J Community Member

Top rated cant get new projects

Hi,
I created my upwork account one year ago. It was good in the first few months and I was promoted to Top rated designer last summer.
The next 4-5 months after the promotion, I couldnt find new projects. Lot of proposals, but not interviewed/hired.
Due a few open inactive contacts from before ( book cover series, I was waiting for the authors response, to finished their 2nd or 3rd books) my JSS dropped under 90%, and I lost my TR badge (december). That was not my fault, but what can I do?
After that, during the period of January-April, I was not TR designer but I got more projects, 2-5 per week. Lot of satisfied clients with 5 stars reviews.
I increased my JSS to 96% and I was promoted to TR again.
Guess what?
I am top rated for 2 weeks and I struggle to find new projects. I spent over 25$ per week on proposals, and I cant get nothing. ZERO projects. Its clear that upwork algoritm doesnt boost top rated freelancers, but do the opposite.
Honestly, I lose my motivation. I work fast and professional, Ive got a lot of satisfied clients with great reviews, and instead of boosting, upwork destroys me.
Why? Is it really fair?

10 REPLIES 10
Petra R Community Member

Aleksandar J wrote:

I am top rated for 2 weeks and I struggle to find new projects. I spent over 25$ per week on proposals, and I cant get nothing. ZERO projects. Its clear that upwork algoritm doesnt boost top rated freelancers, but do the opposite.

Nonsense.

Have you noticed that there is a global pandemic happening and the platform is being flooded with people suddenly wanting to work online or old freelancers suddenly remembering their profiles? Jobs have several times as many proposals as usual.

It has nothing to do with you being top rated, and all to do with a global situation.

Tonya P Community Member

Hmm... I can't get a job. It must be either Upwork's evil plot to destroy me or the fact that businesses around the world are filing for bankruptcy, people are losing their jobs and everyone is saving their cash to purchase toilet paper on the black market. I wonder which one is the reason. 🙄

Everyone is pivoting. Spending patterns are different. Business needs are different. What any of us was selling two months ago may not sell now. Look at the marketplace, evaluate what it needs today, and provide that service. 

1. The pandemic situaction exists for more than 2 months. I was OK in the last 5-6 weeks. Then, I was promoted and my career started to go down.
    And what about the last year? There was no pandemy there, and I had only one project in 4-5 months as top rated designer. 

Amanda L Community Member

Aleksandar J wrote:
  1. The pandemic situaction exists for more than 2 months. I was OK in the last 5-6 weeks. Then, I was promoted and my career started to go down.
    And what about the last year? There was no pandemy there, and I had only one project in 4-5 months as top rated designer. 

It's like you think Top-Rated means something. It really doesn't. It's part of a rating system that benefits Upwork, but doesn't necessarily speak to your skills or ability.  

I dont want to get more projects than before, just because I am Top Rated.
This is my opinion:
Upwork algorithm excludes the top rated clients somehow, and boost non-TR freelancers.
Maybe they consider that the top rated freelancers already have long-term clients and there is no need to get new projects as before. Thats how upwork algorithm regulates the market.
If they boost the TR freelancers as before, then the TR freelancers could apply everywhere, and it will be extremely difficult for the new freelancers to get some projects.
This is my opinion, and maybe I am wrong.

Facts:
I had 2-5 projects every week in the last 2-3 months, when my JSS was 92%.
Now, I am Top rated with 96% JSS for 3 weeks, and I get nothing with the same number of proposals.
When the clinets take a look at the proposals, upwork gives him a few designers that fit the best, and I think that the new freelancers are there.
There is no another reason why I am not interviewed as before, especially in my field, where I have a strong portfolio.

Mark F Community Member

Aleksandar J wrote:

I dont want to get more projects than before, just because I am Top Rated.
This is my opinion:
Upwork algorithm exclude the top rated clients somehow, and boost non-TR freelancers.
Maybe they consider that the top rated freelancers already have long-term clients and there is no need to get new projects as before. Thats how upwork algorithm regulate the market.
If they boost the TR freelancers as before, then the TR freelancers could apply everywhere, and it will be extremely difficult for the new freelancers to get some projects.
This is my opinion, and maybe I am wrong.

Facts:
I had 2-5 projects every week in the last 2-3 months, when my JSS was 92%.
Now, I am Top rated with 96% JSS for 3 weeks, and I get nothing with the same number of proposals.
When the clinets take a look at the proposals, upwork give him a few designers that fit the best, and I think that the new freelancers are there.
There is no another reason why I am not interviewed as before, especially in my field, where I have a strong portfolio.

This maybe the most illogical leap I have ever personally seen. I can't see how you could remotely believe this is true but since you do I can't see how I could remotely convince you it is not true.

You can always deliberately biff a project to get below 90% I guess.  I am not sure if there is any easier way to concede TR.  I am not sure anyone has ever done it before.  Maybe you could ask the mods to make you not TR.  Not sure they can.

John K Community Member

Mark F wrote:
Maybe you could ask the mods to make you not TR.  Not sure they can.

I think you're on to something. Upwork team might consider giving freelancers the option to remove their TR badge.

John K wrote:

Mark F wrote:
Maybe you could ask the mods to make you not TR.  Not sure they can.

I think you're on to something. Upwork team might consider giving freelancers the option to remove their TR badge.

Followed by a flood of...

I accidentally removed my TR badge.

UPDATE:
0 projects in the last 2 months.

Arif I Community Member

Want to know updates now

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members