Showing results forΒ 
Search instead forΒ 
Did you mean:Β 

Tough competition

mistykeith
Community Guru
Misty K Member Since: Feb 5, 2012
21 of 31
You got a couple that I would have mentioned had I been thinking πŸ™‚ They are great: "Implement a global minimum hourly rate" is especially really good. This could change everything and make the environment much better here. I'm like you, while I have a few long-term jobs in place at the moment, I never know when those are going to decrease. I've been actively searching for jobs that are similar. I do get interviews, but when rates don't want to be met I don't hear back. It is so frustrating, but no way am I going to lower my rates for specific pieces of work. Now, I will offer clients flexibility depending on their individual work needs. Still, if someone wants something like a PR, my base rate for that doesn't change. I do think that if more freelancers/contractors stood by their merit/worth and didn't budge in rate/fee then it would force clients to pay what they should. I doubt that is going to happen across the board though. It is disappointing, and very much frustrating!! It's a wonder I haven't ground my teeth to powder by now. 😞
mistykeith
Community Guru
22 of 31
I wasn't attacking you at all. Actually, my comment was decent to you. I was simply making a point of how the thread could make the other individual feel. In fact, I think Kristin was put down without cause. And no, I didn't say you did it. PERIOD. Telling someone they are hurting this platform is putting them down. THAT IS THE FACT. How the hell am I attacking you? By saying how others should be considerate of other people? God help me.
ranthael
Ratko I Member Since: Jul 19, 2013
23 of 31
Honestly, I don't like these threads. You're not trying to find a solution. Just stating a fact. The issue that people don't seem to realise here is simple, this is a market, a job market. People's work is the product here, and they have to compete with one another. If you can't compete with the other products here, you can't blame them for it. You can try and find a way to compete with others. I see a pattern here with people stating it's a bad community. No one sees the quality of work. What is your quality of work? Is it the same as someone with 30 cents per hour? If it's not, why would he prove a competition for yourself? I can tell you for sure that prices do offer quality in some cases. And buyers do appreciate quality, some are willing to pay it by the same amount of cash, others want to be cheap. What you can do is avoid the cheap ones and try to get the attention of the normal ones. People tend to forget here a one small thing, and that's marketing. You have to market your work. If someones sees wants you at your price, he will get you, you have to make him want you. Lowering your price might get you more work, but in the end it will bring you some portion of frustration (thinking that you're underpaid), a risk of bad feedback as people seem to not be that proactive when getting less than they think they deserve, and one more thing: a label -> if you do a job for $10 it means you think you're worth $10, why would anyone else pay you more. I did some work for $3, $4 per hour. It labels me. If I want to do work at a higher price, I have to put a lot more effort than someone already working at a higher price. I think the community is bad, buyers ask for high quality work at low prices and freelancers accepting low wages, it is going in the sense of lowering the wages overall. Blaming both of those groups won't get any of us anywhere. Being better at finding work at higher price and raising your quality as you do so will get you somewhere. If you can't do that, you should either accept the fact that you can't earn a higher wage or look somewhere else for work.
anne_ginger
Community Guru
Dianne M Member Since: Jul 25, 2013
24 of 31
we really need a like button

❄❄❄ Just A Forum Contributor --- This isn't against forum guidelines ❄❄❄
mistykeith
Community Guru
25 of 31
Seriously, to count how many do complain about low bidders, not getting work, etc. Heck, I've made comments about the new rollout features which put our applications in hidden status, but I don't say much. I agree with some of what you've said, but not all of it. I think the main solution needs to be correcting the features of this platform. There are so many features now that are putting opportunities on the back burner for many, many contractors. That is the problem for many. You can't market yourself when you're constantly hidden. And this is no fault of the contractor either. Marketing is the key factor here, you're right. However, as I mentioned, there are many negativities here now which threaten the marketing ability of many. Now, that is a fact.
ranthael
26 of 31
I don't mind you not agreeing with all of my points. As I did state, the community is bad, you do work in copywriting. Data entry is the worst category to be in. 200 people on every job and the clients thinking $1 per hour is an ok price. A few months ago, I've seen a decrease in normal paying jobs. You are right. Doesn't mean you have to earn at that rate. I just want to highlight one point. Complaining won't get us anywhere. You mentioned features, you didn't say which ones, but the features are bad (I'm not attacking, just want to clear my point). We can't have a proactive discussion with just stating features are bad. It only means we're frustrated. Frustration will only lead to more frustration. What features would you change? I would change this one -> you shouldn't be allowed to post jobs without a verified payment method. I don't like scrolling through scam jobs, and this should be fixed. What feature prevents you from earning what you deserve? Honestly, all these discussions lack one thing. People forget quality. This should be a market where you put a price for the quality you provide. If someone's quality isn't up to par with someone elses, why should he get the job? Being competitive here is not only producing quality, as is in every market. But each discussion about low prices don't include quality, just people complaining for the low price. My point that I want to highligh once again. Complaining that the system is bad won't change anything. People tend to forget thriving in what they do, getting better at finding better jobs, and moving from system to system if it's bad. I'm finding work on platforms other than oDesk if I can't find a good one here. Staying in one spot and blaming others won't get you to another spot.
mistykeith
Community Guru
27 of 31
I can't really disagree with you. Very volatile points. +1 What features would I change: 1. Make sure repeated refunds show up on profiles 2. Take away these new roll outs that hide good contractors which are useless 3. Have an escrow 4. Have improved support for contractors and clients 5. Ensure credible payment methods consistently 6. Take away that hourly guarantee that is abused too much Plus more but I'd really have to think hard on them.
ranthael
28 of 31
Now that's much better. I agree with almost all your points, not sure what some are. 1. Odesk checks profiles and shutsdown those that have too many refunds on them. Not sure how often, but it's a nice thing. 2. Can you tell me what this is? 3. I agree fully. Escrow should be implemented here. 4. I like their support, one of the best. Can you explain what do you don't like? To see if we're talking about the same thing here. 5. If you mean they can't pay, odesk should be the one guaranteeing it. 6. Why only the hourly guarantee? I like it, it's easier, it has its flaws, of course. I think an escrow system would be great. I'm doing work on another page, had only escrow there and it takes only an hour upfront if the work is hourly. I've never been scammed there.
mistykeith
Community Guru
29 of 31
For point 1: I didn't know Odesk already had an implementation to shut down a contractor with too many refunds back to a client? I wonder how many they assume to be too many? That is good though, good to know as well. For point 2 or 3: On the hourly guarantee, what is happening, and why I don't like it: This is being shoved down some contractors profiles without their prior approval. Some clients take advantage of it when there isn't one issue with the work, though the client continuously claims there is. I've been reading some real horror stories surrounding this. I think this should be an option for contractors to choose, not forced upon them. On the support issues with Odesk: They take way too long sorting out issues. I've had several I've had to deal with in the past and it took an entire week for something that was minor. Sometimes I've never heard back on smaller issues at all. I do a ticket, only to find no one ever responds which is unacceptable. So, that is what I mean by the support. Also, I have a client who has been seeking assistance with an issue and is reaching no resolution with support either. There simply needs to be better communication and more timely support given. Hope that explains things better πŸ™‚
anne_ginger
Community Guru
Dianne M Member Since: Jul 25, 2013
30 of 31
I like all of these new suggestions for oDesk, maybe it ought to be its own thread? Also, oDesk should show too which clients got refunds and how many times they got it. That should warn contractors as to which clients are abusing the feedback system and/or the money back guarantee thing to get free work.

❄❄❄ Just A Forum Contributor --- This isn't against forum guidelines ❄❄❄
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS