🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Turn off Hourly Rate because I dont want hour...
Page options
kinyuatimothy
Community Member

Turn off Hourly Rate because I dont want hourly contracts any more

First Upwork made me hate hourly contracts because they review the hours and refund client even though the client is okay with manual hours. First for hourly contracts there is a button for client to disable manual time logging before the contract starts, you should always ask the client to enable or disable because you lie when you say client or freelancer doesn't need to do anything after manual hours are added to the work diary.  This experience has been so bad for me and then the hourly payments have a very long review period where if you complete one contract this week then the whole of next week is for review and three more days of the week after that are for security. From now on if client sends hourly offer I will turn it down thanks to upwork support.  Accepting an hourly contract is so bad because they will review and rob you of precious time you spent on a project, time you might have spent researching a problem online will be refunded in the name of low activity. Fixed Price Contracts are better because they release funds after only 5 days ,  no support meddling.  Support can really make the Hourly Contract Experience annoying.  After what I experienced yesterday I still can't help but feel robbed. Also do indicate on the freelancer part that If we review the diary and find low activity hours then we might want to refund those to the client.  Upwork Support robbed me and I will never forgive them for that.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
williamtcooper
Community Member

Timothy,

I have completed 340 Jobs by using Milestones because in my opinion are much easier to manage and use.

I couldn't possibly do hourly work for the type of thinking / strategic projects I have.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
spectralua
Community Member

Fixed price won't covered with any protection. Check ToS.

williamtcooper
Community Member

Timothy,

I have completed 340 Jobs by using Milestones because in my opinion are much easier to manage and use.

I couldn't possibly do hourly work for the type of thinking / strategic projects I have.

Couldn't agree more, Milestones make it easier because you have a well defined objective that is met then the milestone gets approved.

m_terrazas
Community Member

Timothy K wrote:

First Upwork made me hate hourly contracts because they review the hours and refund client even though the client is okay with manual hours. First for hourly contracts there is a button for client to disable manual time logging before the contract starts, you should always ask the client to enable or disable because you lie when you say client or freelancer doesn't need to do anything after manual hours are added to the work diary.  This experience has been so bad for me and then the hourly payments have a very long review period where if you complete one contract this week then the whole of next week is for review and three more days of the week after that are for security. From now on if client sends hourly offer I will turn it down thanks to upwork support.  Accepting an hourly contract is so bad because they will review and rob you of precious time you spent on a project, time you might have spent researching a problem online will be refunded in the name of low activity. Fixed Price Contracts are better because they release funds after only 5 days ,  no support meddling.  Support can really make the Hourly Contract Experience annoying.  After what I experienced yesterday I still can't help but feel robbed. Also do indicate on the freelancer part that If we review the diary and find low activity hours then we might want to refund those to the client.  Upwork Support robbed me and I will never forgive them for that.

If you use the Time Tracker correctly, you will be protected for payment. Milestone contracts do not have effective protection.
If you have worked inserting manual hours and the client does not want to pay, lost money.
The client can say what he wants, that he agrees with the manual hours and that he will pay you, but if there is a problem with the payment by the client forget it.

I work both ways and I must say that I prefer hourly work. They pay me for the time I'm working, and they can request all the corrections and changes they want. And if the client fails for any reason, I know that my payment is covered for all the correctly recorded hours.

The reason that makes the whole hourly experience worse for me is that time it takes for the money to arrive. There is a whole week after the contract is ended for review and then an additional three days for security. They should just give the client a maximum of five days to review and file for any dispute after the contract is terminated. This whole waste of time in the name of security and review just makes me ask the client to convert the contract into a fixed price contract

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members