Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Types of Clients - Help!

Highlighted
Mohamed S Member Since: Nov 29, 2018
1 of 9

Hi there!

How to deal with these clients (they are high rated - payment verified - high hiring rates - $ thousands total spent - you had a call interview with them and there's nothing odd about them)

1. Project started for the first few days, you successfully started to deliver job requirements and they disappeared and messaged you back that they are busy and will get back to you shortly. Later, more than 7 days with no response.

- Does a 10 minutes work per week on hourly contracts will be considered an idle contract?
And what are the best ways to prevent going into an idle contract periods?

- I'm not sure why when a contract fails to lead to any earnings, the JSS will be negatively impacted as this is an indication that the client did not consider the project a success. How can I let a client reply to my message if they are busy or disappeared and I need their advice before going further into the project and I'm penalized for that?

2. Know-it-all client.
After you both agreed on a certain job that it will take 10 hours and after you finished the job, the client asked for a refund as he said he can do that job in 4 hours only.

Question:
A lot of community gurus here suggest that you should start small tasks with clients before going into big projects. How can one do that if he is doing consultations or long term jobs that need months to bring in results?

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
2 of 9

Mohamed S wrote:

How to deal with these clients (they are high rated - payment verified - high hiring rates - $ thousands total spent - you had a call interview with them and there's nothing odd about them)

1. Project started for the first few days, you successfully started to deliver job requirements and they disappeared and messaged you back that they are busy and will get back to you shortly. Later, more than 7 days with no response.

Contracts which NEVER lead to any earnings hurt your JSS, contracts which had earnings and then go idle do NOT - unless you have a really high percentage of such contracts.  This is a non-issue.

7 days is nothing, why would you even get upset about that?  You are likely not the only freelancer the client has.

A contract does not count as idle until it had 0 paid for months, not a few days,

Highlighted
3 of 9

Thanks Petra for your clarifications. Really appreciated.

Anyone else can help me with the 
remaining two questions?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
4 of 9

re: "A lot of community gurus here suggest that you should start small tasks with clients before going into big projects. How can one do that if he is doing consultations or long term jobs that need months to bring in results?"

When we talk about starting with small contracts/small tasks so that clients can demonstrate that they can be trusted, we are referring to fixed-price contracts.

If you are doing consultation or long-term jobs that take months, then these are hourly contracts. So that technique doesn't really apply.

With hourly contracts, Upwork's payment protection is stronger and simpler. You don't really need to set up smaller contracts so that a client an demonstrate that they can be trusted to use fixed-price contracts properly.

Highlighted
5 of 9

Thanks so much Preston for your help.

Any advise please for the know-it-all clients, my 2nd question above? 

Highlighted
Community Guru
6 of 9

Mohamed S wrote:

Any advise please for the know-it-all clients, my 2nd question above? 

You really need to start to run your business properly yourself. That includes properly interviewing clients and managing client expectations.

If this sort of thing happens to you frequently, you are either not choosing your clients carefully enough or something is going wrong along the way.

Nobody can tell you how to be a professional freelancer.

Highlighted
7 of 9

Thanks Petra.

Yes, you're right.
Actually this happened once among hundreds of clients.

Highlighted
Community Guru
8 of 9

Mohamed S wrote:

Yes, you're right.
Actuallpry this happened once among hundreds of clients.

You've only done a few jobs on Upwork and if it only happens "Once among hundreds of clients" I hardly think it is a problem of such proportions.

Just deal with it and move on, hoping that it won't happen again for the next few hundred clients.

Highlighted
9 of 9

Petra R wrote:

You've only done a few jobs on Upwork and if it only happens "Once among hundreds of clients" I hardly think it is a problem of such proportions.

Hundreds of clients in my whole freelance career.

Yes, it's better to move on.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS