🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Unable to verify your Tax ID number on Upwork
Page options
gopip18
Community Member

Unable to verify your Tax ID number on Upwork

Please check my Legal Taxpayer Name. Now I verified the legal name and PAN number. Please check and approve.

gopip18_1-1646185972652.png

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Abdul, 

The TAX ID (PAN) status is under "Pending Verification" until we have a manual verification for PAN. Once you enter a PAN number, you will automatically get a reduced withholding tax of 1% regardless of the PAN "Pending Verification" status. There is no further action needed on your end. 

~ Avery
Upwork

View solution in original post

365 REPLIES 365
760212e5
Community Member

I am also facing a same problem. My PAN has been added and verified by Upwork before I starts freelancing job. But still upwork charging 5%. Can someone help on this.

jayvyas009
Community Member

I completed all the information required for tax verification and provided all the valid information, but Upwork deducted 5% of WHT from my payment.

Not able to figure out the problem.

Hi Jay,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I shared your report with our team and one of our agents will reach out to you using a support ticket to assist you further. You can access your support tickets here.

- Pradeep 

Upwork
panchdev
Community Member

Hello Community!

I've been noticing for so long that Upwork has been keeping 5-6% of withholding tax (Indian Resident) although I have supplied authorized PAN Details to Upwork. So, why is Upwork keeping this money in the name of the Withholding tax though PAN details are provided? Is the withholding money something that we can get back? If yes, how?

Please help me understand withholding tax and how can we get back if we can. If not, why can't?

Thanks, 

- Panchdev Singh Chauhan

The tax withholding is TDS, so whatever is deducted from your payment will be deposited by Upwork with tax authorities. You will be able to claim an adjustment toward tax payable or get a refund is they have deducted more than your tax liability! You can check Form 26 to verify all deductions. 

Upwork should deduct tax witholding @  1% of your earnings, but if your PAN and Aadhar card is nor linked they will deducated at 5%. If your Pan and Aadhar is linked write to support and inform them, if not you have to link Pan and Aadhar. Then Upwork will deduct @ 1% rate

Hi Panchadev,

Thank you for sharing your concern about the withholding tax on your account. I have escalated this to a support ticket so they can look into it for you. One of our agents will reach out to you shortly. 

~Ronna
maxspears
Community Member

I am an Indian - my PAN details are added in Upwork but even then i am seeing a 5% WHT charge held by  upwork.

Is there a reason for this?

A moderator will assist you to create a support ticket and this will get resolved.

H Monis,

I can see that you've already raised a support ticket regarding your concern. You can access your support tickets here. Note that support requests are responded to in the order they are received. Kindly allow 24-48 hours for the team to follow up with you and assist you further.

- Pradeep

Upwork
f103128d
Community Member

Hi , 

I have been trying to speak with someone regarding tax information. I have input all information and it is marked as compelte. However, I still get the message that I need to complete my tax info. 

I had raised a concern , probably over chat , Mridula Sharma from the tax team replied to me . I wanted to ask a few more questions but i just dont find any way to connect with the support team. The chatbot doesn't help in my matter.  

I was asked to upload my PAN card , but there is no instruction as to where i need to do that . 

Would it be possible to kindly route my request to the tax department which can provide me with precise isntructions. 

Sorry , i understand this might be the wrong forum to ask about tax queries , but as of now this is the only way i find to send my query accross. 

Thanks,

Aniket Shende

Hi Aniket,

I shared your report with our team and one of our agents will reach out to you using a support ticket to assist you further. You can access your support tickets here.

- Pradeep 

Upwork
sanjay_lohar
Community Member

Hi,

Can anyone explain me that why total of three deduction are done on my payment where my pan card is available and also approved.

1. GST => GST (IN) - Service Fee - which is 18% of my Service Fee 
2. Service Fee => 10% of my total pay upwork
3. WHT => Withholding Tax 5% percent of total

My concern is the third one.

Kindly help

Hi Sanjay,

Thank you for sharing your concern about your Withholding Tax. I have converted your post to a support ticket to look into this for you. One of our agents will reach out to you to assist accordingly. 

~Ronna

Is there any update on this as my hard earned money is getting deducted for no reason.

Thank you for following up, Sanjay.

I am stepping in for Ronna. I checked, and it looks like the agent handling your case has updated your support ticket, provided further information and instructions, and is waiting for your response. You can access your support ticket here

~Ivy
Upwork

WHT => Withholding Tax 5% percent of total

This is getting deducted in every pay which should be only 1 percent but in my case it is 5%.
And i'm indian and i've uploaded my pan card. Please help me 

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members