🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Funds was in pending then refunded
Page options
Cecilia M Community Member

Unauthorized refund

Hi, I recently finished a contract with a client on upwork. Things went ok, client got what they asked and finished my contract. Today, a week after the contract was closed I receive an email stating “I refunded” the client money. I haven’t authorized such thing, all hours were under the terms of the contract and logged using the time tracker... I have no idea what just happened.

Please do excuse any possible mistakes, I am currently on mobile.
ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Valeria K Community Member

Hi Zahra and Muhammad Hamdoon,

Unfortunately, when the client fails to pay for hours logged by the freelancer, any hours that aren't covered by Upwork Hourly Protection may be reversed. Please check out this help article for more information. When this happens, first an automatic notification is sent but the team will also be reaching out to you directly via email with more information about your specific account.

Update: 

This thread has been closed from further replies due to its size. We appreciate your participation in the Community and welcome you to continue the conversation on this new thread.

Thank you!

~ Valeria
Upwork

View solution in original post

577 REPLIES 577
Shahd A Community Member

How I earned funds i did not receive?!

Radia L Community Member

The thread Mykola posted explains everything in detail, but here's a quick summary:

Client (credit card owner) could file a chargeback through their bank, anytime.

I happened to see your screenshot before it's gone. It's an hourly work. Upwork has "payment protection" for hourly work where they will pay you out from their own pocket if there are problems with client's cards, but you need to follow a set of rules to have it.

Shahd A Community Member

I talked to a supporter after a long time of wating and chating and finally i saw that the client paid from his account, funds was in review then one of the supporters sent me to appropriate team and finally got in pending and i waited 5 days more then minutes before it should become available it refunded can someone please explain? 
thanks

Radia L Community Member

it explained in your first thread (that got merged now).

Joanne P Moderator

Hi Shahd,

It seems like you already posted about this and Arjay has replied to your post. You should be able to access the response by following this link. Please know that this post will also be merged. Thank you!

~ Joanne
Upwork
Arjay M Retired Team Member

Hi Shahd,

I'm sorry to hear about the unexpected refund that's been processed on your account. Please note that when the client fails to pay for hours logged by the freelancer, any hours that aren't covered by Upwork Hourly Protection may be reversed.

I can see that you've raised a ticket about your concern. The team will also be reaching out to you directly via email with more information on how to proceed. You may access and coordinate with the team on this page. We seek your patience and utmost understanding while we take care of this for you.

~ Arjay
Upwork
Shahd A Community Member

So I talked to a supporter about my paymend cause it was in review a long time ago and told cause the client didn't pay so I talked to the client and checked on his profile and showed the he had some payments, so i talked to the supporter again and told that i'll be sent to appropriate team. I checked my earnings and the funds are there can someone explain how? Cause if the client didn't pay it should not be in my earnings

Salman N Community Member

Hi, 
One of my client committed fraud that He has released the payments in milestone but after 3 to 4 milestone he has created disputed and asked for reversal one by one payments on upwork after work done. Upwork has reserved his payments from some my account and some disputes resolved by itself. 
But, my reserved payments are not showing in payment reports view. Please help me to resolve as soon as possible. So, I can indentify the payment which is mine and remaining. Thank you.
Regards,

Salman Naseer

Annie Jane B Retired Team Member

Hi Salman,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I can see that you opened a support ticket regarding this issue and are now being assisted by one of our agents. Please feel free to update the ticket should you have further questions or concerns.

~ AJ
Upwork

yes please @annie please me to fix the balance status. I want to know about the balance status

Hi Salman,

Arjay here stepping in for Annie Jane. We certainly understand how you want this issue resolved immediately. I've escalated your community post to a support ticket. One of our agents will be in touch with you soon to assist. You may access your ticket and coordinate with the team here.

~ Arjay
Upwork

Moderator Annie Jane B -  Will u please guide me 

Hi,
One of my client created dispute and upwork reserves its milestones payment some of my account and reclear the disputes. I want to clear that is my account balance is negative or not. So, I can indentify that payments. Thank you 

Please help me to get it know so i confirm that I have negative balance or not

Ifedi E Community Member

Upwork just deducted $7.5 from my account and from what I can see they intend to deduct even more. A client of mine who was supposed to pay me for an hourly contract defaulted in payment I guess but I do not know what is wrong at this point.  

Preston H Community Member

It sounds like you did not follow the rules for Upwork Payment Protection.

Personally, I follow those rules. So if a client's payment method could not be charged, Upwork pays me out of their own pocket.

In the future, follow those rules.

Hi Ifedi,

Thank you for reaching out and I'm sorry to hear about the unexpected refund that's been processed on your account. Please note that when the client fails to pay for hours logged by the freelancer, any hours that aren't covered by Upwork Hourly Protection may be reversed.

I can see that the team has reached out to you via email with more information about the issue and further instructions on how to proceed. Please don't hesitate to coordinate with the team by responding to the email and they will surely assist you accordingly. You may also check this page for the support ticket linked to your case. We would appreciate your patience and cooperation while we sort this out for you.

~ Arjay
Upwork
Muhammad A Community Member

Hello, I wanted to bring to your attention that I was supposed to receive a pending payment today, April 19th, from my client for an hourly contract on Upwork. However, Upwork refunded the client without any dispute or consent.  

Although, My ID is fully verified, and I believe my payment should have been protected under Upwork's hourly protection policy. However, I was surprised to see that Upwork refunded my pending payment to the client without notifying me. Also, I take this into your consideration that I have been working on Upwork since it was known as Odesk. I've started work on Upwork since it was Odesk and I would appreciate clarification on this matter, as it has left me feeling disappointed with Upwork.

Thanks

Mykola A Community Member

Hi Muhammad,

I'm sorry to hear about the unexpected refund that's been processed on your account. Please note that when the client fails to pay for hours logged by the freelancer, any hours that aren't covered by Upwork Hourly Protection may be reversed.

I can see that you've been in contact with the team through the reversal email notification. Also, a couple of support tickets have been set up with the same concern. We highly suggest you continue coordinating with the team through email and they will surely assist you accordingly. You may also check this page for the support tickets linked to your case. 

A gentle reminder, please avoid creating several tickets or posts for the same concern so that the team could assist you more efficiently. We seek your patience and utmost understanding while sorting this out for you. Thank you!

~ Arjay
Upwork
Lily R Community Member

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

One of my clients,**Edited for Community Guidelines**, has not paid me, and the fact that Upwork payment is not validated indicates that Upwork does not give guaranteed payment for hourly jobs???

If Upwork fails to provide money as agreed for any hourly jobs, they will accuse me of keyboard mouse manipulation and refund earnings. Despite the fact that I have not used any such software, I have been working for 15 years. I've never used software like this. Before this false charge, I had no knowledge of this type of software existed. I am much older and have never participated in such activities for any of my previous jobs.

Guaranteed payout jobs are specified on Upwork, and we, providers are available to work for them. This platform deducts service charges and all, however, 
there is no such functionality as PAYMENT METHOD VERIFIED or GUARANTEED PAYMENT jobs. If they are required, they will simply accuse without providing proof and will refund money from the provider's earnings.

Ahsan S Community Member

EXACTLY what is happening with me right now. This Auto Clicker tactic is an utterly cheap move being used by Upwork. They're detecting my routine Graphics Design work as "Keyboard or mouse manipulation" and exactly on those dates where the client was unable to pay up due to some account issues. The client will eventually pay me since we're on good terms and his card maxes out often but this Upwork blame and threat of permanent account suspension has greatly jeopardized my confidence in this platform!

Hi Lily and Ahsan,

Thank you for reaching out. Please note that when the client fails to pay for hours logged by the freelancer, any hours that aren't covered by Upwork Hourly Protection may be reversed.

It looks like the team has reached out with more information about the issue and further instructions on how to resolve the issue. Please don't hesitate to coordinate with the team through your email or this page with your support ticket if you have concerns or still need further assistance.

~ AJ
Upwork
Komal S Community Member

Hello,
A client suddenly cancelled my contract because the client wanted to renogiate the project charges. I asked for the payment of hours I had logged in response client said that every one knows that first few days are considered as test yet no such thing was mentioned before starting the contract. I had already asked for help from Upwork previously and I was told Upwork will componsate. The amount I was supposed to receive was held in pending and instead of me receiving the amount, Upwork refunded it to the Client. Any help?? 

Hi Komal,

Thank you for reaching out. Please note that when the client fails to pay for hours logged by the freelancer, any hours that aren't covered by Upwork Hourly Protection may be reversed.

It looks like the team has reached out with more information about the issue and further instructions on how to resolve the issue. Please don't hesitate to coordinate with the team through your email or this page with your support ticket if you have concerns or still need further assistance.

~ AJ
Upwork
Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members