๐Ÿˆ
ยป Forums ยป Freelancers ยป Unauthorized refund
Page options
Samera H Community Member

Unauthorized refund

Hi, last week my contract with my client got suspended I told her and she fixed it immediately. The second time, I finished my work for her for 5 hours and got suspended again but this time I got no reply from her. This morning Upwork notified me that I refunded her without my permission. Also, the tasks were done. I feel robbed ๐Ÿ˜ž Upwork should also protect freelancers from this kind of clients having trouble with their cards etc. and double checking the work before the unauthorized refund. This is so unfair.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Arjay M Retired Team Member

Hi Samera,

Unfortunately, when the client fails to pay for hours logged by the freelancer, any hours that aren't covered by Upwork Hourly Protection may be reversed. Please check out this help article for more information. When this happens, first an automatic notification is sent but the team will also be reaching out to you directly via email with more information about your specific account.

~ Arjay
Upwork

View solution in original post

509 REPLIES 509
Asghar H Community Member

I asked client to apporve the hours to get bonus payment is correct way to get my payment amount?

Luiggi R Moderator

That is correct, Hussain. You'll need to ask your client to issue a bonus payment for any manually added hours that were reversed. As a reminder, bonus payments don't qualify for Payment Protection either. 

~ Luiggi
Stephen E Community Member

Last week, my hourly contract with a client was suspended, and after sending a complaint to ensure that I was protected, I received an email stating that I would be paid since I qualified for hourly protection. However, today, when the payment should have been available, it was automatically refunded to the client. They claimed the client is fraudulent, the client did not make payment for the week and that I do not qualify for hourly protection, despite a previous email confirming my eligibility.

Am I being scammed by the client and Upwork because this makes no sense

Khalida P Community Member

It does sound frustrating to receive conflicting information regarding payment and hourly protection from Upwork after initially being assured of your eligibility.

To address this issue:

1. Contact Upwork Support: Reach out to Upwork's support team immediately. Share all the relevant details, including the emails you received confirming your eligibility for hourly protection and the subsequent refund. Clearly explain the situation and ask for clarification on why the payment was refunded despite earlier assurances of eligibility.

2. Document Everything: Keep records of all communication, emails, and any relevant screenshots or documents related to the project and payment. This documentation will be crucial when discussing the matter with Upwork's support team.

3. Be Persistent: Follow up with Upwork regularly until the issue is resolved satisfactorily. Sometimes, complex situations like this require persistence and patience to ensure they are properly addressed.

4. Consider Professional Advice: If the issue persists or if you feel your concerns arenโ€™t adequately addressed, consider seeking advice from a legal professional specializing in freelance or contract work. They might offer guidance on your rights and potential courses of action.

It's crucial to communicate your concerns clearly and persistently with Upwork's support team to seek a resolution. Being proactive and providing detailed documentation can help in resolving this issue and understanding why the refund occurred despite the previous confirmation of eligibility for hourly protection.

Stephen E Community Member

Thank you. I sent a follow up mail immediately to Upwork's support team and I will be following closely. I just hope this gets resolved.

Muhammad S Community Member

I was surprised to learn that a dispute was filed by the client for the aforementioned job, leading to a refund being issued without my involvement or the opportunity to provide any necessary information or clarification. I value the platform's commitment to fair dispute resolution and client satisfaction, yet I was not given the chance to present my side of the situation or contribute to the resolution process.

As a freelancer on Upwork, I strive to maintain excellent standards of service and adhere to the platform's policies. It would greatly help if, in similar cases, I could be notified promptly and provided an opportunity to address any concerns or discrepancies raised by the client before a decision is made.

This is really demotivating for me because I just spent my valuable hours. Additionally, the client's history is also poor, despite my having a 5-star review and a 100% Job Success Score (JSS).

Thank you for your attention to this matter. I look forward to your response and resolution regarding this issue.

Ramesh Kumar K Community Member

If a dispute been filed by the client, you will have been notified and will get a time frame to reply. 

May be the client filed a credit card chargeback. In that case, Upwork reverse the payment to the client. 

Joanne P Moderator

Hi Muhammad,

I checked your account and saw that you are already coordinating with one of our team members regarding your contract. Please allow the team time to review and respond to the follow-up questions you have posted on the ticket. 

~ Joanne
Upwork
Saim I Community Member

I have issues with my job. I have worked for the logged hours but the payment is refunded back to the client's account because there is some issue with Upwork. I have been trying to contact client and he is saying the payment is hold from Upwork's end

Mykola A Community Member

Ticket should be created for that. Check here https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/requests

Nabila R Community Member

Hello Upworkers, I recently worked with a client on a project
I have worked 19 hours but I just got a notification for payment reversal from Upwork.
Is there any expert who can help why it happens?
1- was there any issue in the work?
2- was there an issue on the client side?
3- Any other reason

Also please let me know how I can resolve it and when it will pay to me.
Please help

Client didn't paid. Sometime payment protection covering it and Upwork pay you from own money. In your case you rejected with protection.

Thats all, you worked for free this time.

Amin S Community Member

After successfully delivering the work as per the client's requirements, I was expecting to receive payment for the logged hours. However, I was surprised to receive a notification today stating that $173 was refunded to the client , 

the client's Payment method was verified
the client's Phone number was verified
there's proof of screenshots working on the task , so there's no reason to take my hours as a refund  even though my weekly summary was available beofre the client suspended and  my Hours was covered by Upwork hourly protection, the refund still went through. It doesn't make sense !!! I'm questioning Upwork's commitment to fair practices. If this is how they treat hardworking freelancers, I may need to find a platform that aligns better with my values

Surprised? You can read here

What reason was indicated at this time? 

Amin S Community Member

i stopped here "Made screenshots, accounted for activity" this is exactly what i did which means i was   under Upwork Hourly Protection guidelines and still not enough ?

You must keep activity, write long memos, have screenshot, set low price... But even then you did everything correctly does not mean that you will be protected.

Read ticket here. Reason should be there. https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/requests

Amin S Community Member

That's sad, and you're 100% right. Upwork is not safe and not trusted anymore.I think I have nothing to do after what you have been through I will keep this in mind to find another platform.
Thank you, @Mykola

There's actually nothing wrong with not having protection. Bad is imaginary protection.

Either you write โ€œthe client is verifiedโ€ and bear full responsibility, or you say โ€œno protectionโ€ and stop covering the scammerโ€™s info so that the freelancer can assess the risks and protect himself.

And here it turns out that the upwork advertises the client as reliable and in case of problems refuses obligations. Moreover, the fraudster is covered and the freelancer (or client if scammed by freelancer) does not have the info to find and punish scammer himself. Many clients also claimed there that was scammed by freelancers. Of course this does not add confidence.

In any case, we can only advise but cannot order upwork how to do business. The owners chose this path. We can accept it or take our money (time, knowledge) to elsewhere.

Sandip B Community Member

Hello, Freelancers

Here I have attached a screenshot of the client's position let me know how can i find that the client is a fraud. I have worked almost 5 hours approx with 30$ per hour. And now after a week, upwork says that the client is a fraud. Upwork stopped my payment and refunded the amount to the client. It seems so unfair to me. Please check a screenshot and let me know how can we find that the client is a fraud. Please help me to figure out the issue and how can i get my money back.

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

In short - you cannot.

Something about this client: fresh registration, noone hired before, no history, high price.

For sure apply to clients who at least month registered, have feedbacks, spent some money before. Less chanses that it will be scammer.

Verified payment, phone, known name - mean nothing, ignore this.

About your money: thats all, forgot. You worked for free.

Sandip B Community Member

Thank you, sir,

The client spent 3.8k$ so I think he is a genuine person he spent almost 34$ per hour and all things look like a good client. Upwork has to check his payment system first and then allow us to start the work.

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

I think this 3.8k was "spent" to freelancers like you, within last week. As result all in same boat.

Yep, Upwork has to check. But won't. 

Annie Jane B Retired Team Member

Hi Sandip,

I'm sorry to hear about your experience. It looks like you already have a support ticket regarding this issue. Please feel free to communicate with our support team so they can assist you with your questions and concerns.

~ AJ
Upwork
Abdullah Al M Community Member

Upwork asking me the client is fraudlant but my question is when client peyment method and phone was varified by upwork and I work for this client so why I will be sufferer for the client issue? that issue was client with upwork it is not my fault. Upwork why give permision that fraudland client to get in on upwork give permission to post job and hiring freelancers and for that reason why I will be suffer for this issue. why my earned money where I worked very hard and collect data for client and earn that money. I was working with the client and suddenly upwork suspended the contract. I stop working and wait for restart it again in thsi mean time upwork deducted fund from my account to refund to client. I do not understand what is my fault? Upwork must paid me my thos hard working hours bill. why I don't get those hours bills? in this case what upwork doing for freelancer? I think upwork is not freelancer friendly and do not judge properly with freelancers it only judge client side and I think it is unithical jugement for freelancers.

Prashant P Community Member

You may want to spend some time complaining to California Attorney General as well as California Labor Department.   There are many who have similar stories to tell

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members