🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Unauthorized refund
Page options
cecilia_marquez
Community Member

Unauthorized refund

Hi, I recently finished a contract with a client on upwork. Things went ok, client got what they asked and finished my contract. Today, a week after the contract was closed I receive an email stating “I refunded” the client money. I haven’t authorized such thing, all hours were under the terms of the contract and logged using the time tracker... I have no idea what just happened.

Please do excuse any possible mistakes, I am currently on mobile.
ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi Zahra and Muhammad Hamdoon,

Unfortunately, when the client fails to pay for hours logged by the freelancer, any hours that aren't covered by Upwork Hourly Protection may be reversed. Please check out this help article for more information. When this happens, first an automatic notification is sent but the team will also be reaching out to you directly via email with more information about your specific account.

Update: 

This thread has been closed from further replies due to its size. We appreciate your participation in the Community and welcome you to continue the conversation on this new thread.

Thank you!

~ Valeria
Upwork

View solution in original post

577 REPLIES 577

Hi Vasja,

I'm sorry to hear about the unexpected refund that's been processed on your account. Please note that when the client fails to pay for hours logged by the freelancer, any hours that aren't covered by Upwork Hourly Protection may be reversed.

I can see that you've been communicating with the team about this issue and your concern via email. We highly suggest you continue doing this through the same email if you have questions or need further assistance so that the team can assist you accordingly and more efficiently.

~ Arjay
Upwork
sconstantine1
Community Member

I have been on Upwork since it was elance. A very long time. I've always had great experiences on here and I'm top rated. In December I was contracted to work with a client who was writing a book, but shortly after we started working together some red flags came up. First, Upwork suspended the project because there was some 'suspicious' activity on her account. That got cleared up and we went back to work on the project. 

Then things got weird again. She asked me to transfer her manuscript into Google docs so we could work on it together, which I agreed to do. It took me several hours to do this because of the formatting with illustrations in the book. I knew she had a tight budget and only wanted 3 hours logged each week, so I finished the task, went to bed and the next day I logged only 2 hours for it. (trying to be nice to my client)

She messaged me the next day asking what the 2 hours were for and claimed I didn't leave a description (not true). Not only did she know what the hours were for--because we had discussed it-- but I had also logged them with a note of the work I'd done. With only 3 hours allotted for each week, I knew I wouldn't be able to deliver what she wanted for the amount she was willing to pay. On top of giving her free Zoom meetings. At the rate we were going, there was no way we'd be able to finish a 70K word manuscript in a timely fashion. So I ended the contract and thanked her. 

After I ended the contract, she opened a dispute for the 2 hours that I had spent working (on my birthday, no less). She wrote no less than 20 emails in this dispute. All day I kept getting email notifications. She accused me of trying to rip her off. She pretended she didn't know what the hours were for and that it was "ridiculous." She complained that I live in a first world country and it's unfair that she should have to pay because she lives in India. On and on and on. It was so stressful. 

Then I get an email tonight saying that they refunded her the money. So I basically got ripped off. 

I performed the work and even went above and beyond what was asked of me, I logged less hours than I worked to be nice to my client, and I logged it with a description of the work-- and my client was refunded my hard earned money because of a technicality? 

I would like to get off this platform as soon as I possibly can. This stinks. 

Shannon L wrote:

I have been on Upwork since it was elance. A very long time. I've always had great experiences on here and I'm top rated. In December I was contracted to work with a client who was writing a book, but shortly after we started working together some red flags came up. First, Upwork suspended the project because there was some 'suspicious' activity on her account. That got cleared up and we went back to work on the project. 

Then things got weird again. She asked me to transfer her manuscript into Google docs so we could work on it together, which I agreed to do. It took me several hours to do this because of the formatting with illustrations in the book. I knew she had a tight budget and only wanted 3 hours logged each week, so I finished the task, went to bed and the next day I logged only 2 hours for it. (trying to be nice to my client)

She messaged me the next day asking what the 2 hours were for and claimed I didn't leave a description (not true). Not only did she know what the hours were for--because we had discussed it-- but I had also logged them with a note of the work I'd done. With only 3 hours allotted for each week, I knew I wouldn't be able to deliver what she wanted for the amount she was willing to pay. On top of giving her free Zoom meetings. At the rate we were going, there was no way we'd be able to finish a 70K word manuscript in a timely fashion. So I ended the contract and thanked her. 

After I ended the contract, she opened a dispute for the 2 hours that I had spent working (on my birthday, no less). She wrote no less than 20 emails in this dispute. All day I kept getting email notifications. She accused me of trying to rip her off. She pretended she didn't know what the hours were for and that it was "ridiculous." She complained that I live in a first world country and it's unfair that she should have to pay because she lives in India. On and on and on. It was so stressful. 

Then I get an email tonight saying that they refunded her the money. So I basically got ripped off. 

I performed the work and even went above and beyond what was asked of me, I logged less hours than I worked to be nice to my client, and I logged it with a description of the work-- and my client was refunded my hard earned money because of a technicality? 

Shannon L wrote:

You can at anytime, just go to your settings and click on Close your Account.

Now I'm not trying to be mean or disregard your client being refunded and I am sorry that you had to go through this, just as I have in the past.  However, you are a freelancer and this happens alot, either non payment or refund/chargebacks from clients. Recommendation would be to move on from this client and not waste another minute of your time. I truly believe in Karma and it may not happen today or tomorrow but in the end Karma will show up with this client.  

Oh definitely she will get her karma.

I've been a freelancer for over a decade and have not had this happen until now, it's a new thing for me.

If this happens to you that frequently as you said, and you're paying Upwork 20% of your earnings, what are you paying for? A good lawyer will only take 5% to look over a contract. Is there some reason you stay on here even though you're getting scammed a lot?  

There are frequent scams. However, that doesn't mean you should be scammed frequently.

hashmizaid
Community Member

Hey Cecilia, did you get a resolution for this issue?

4c41e7ea
Community Member

Hi recently i completed one project with my old client who is very professional. i completed the task and he closed the contract with 5 stars. now after almost one week i am receiving notification that i refund the amount. but i did not refund.

what does it mean?? how it can be solved?have a loo at attached screenshot of that notification.

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

Hi Aliya,

I had to edit your post because including names of persons or companies (or other identifying information) in an accusation of misconduct, incompetence, or other wrongdoing is not allowed. Please be mindful of the Community Guidelines when posting in the Community.

I'm sorry to hear about the unexpected refund that's been processed on your account. Please note that when the client fails to pay for hours logged by the freelancer, any hours that aren't covered by Upwork Hourly Protection may be reversed.

I can see that the team has reached out to you via email with more information and further instructions on how to resolve the issue. You've also raised a ticket with your concern, please continue coordinating with the team through that ticket or by responding to the email and they will surely assist you accordingly. You can access your tickets on this page.

~ Arjay
Upwork
c7b8ff72
Community Member

How can I get a partial refund back from a freelancer? I tried locating a button for a ticket no luck. Please help. I have been OVERcharged

38a1b848
Community Member

I completed the work its hourly project when I have checked my account my total amount was 2800 but i just recieved only 300 

how upwork can deduct automatically from my payment

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Preeti, 

I'm sorry to learn about the refund. I can see that the team reached out to you through this ticket with more information about your concern. Kindly refer to the ticket and don't hesitate to post on the same thread if you have further questions. 

~ Avery
Upwork
38a1b848
Community Member

Hello Avery 

Now support team is saying me they can't do anything in it . If client will give you amount then he can otherwise we can't do anything in it 

I want to know if client hire me on more hourly rate from my profile client approved it and I worked on it then then why you refund my amount to client this is cheating by upwork . Your are direcly give my amount to cient 

Hi Preeti,

I checked your account and saw that our team reached out to you regarding the reversed funds. It seems like you are already communicating with our team about this, and you can check the ticket here

~ Joanne
Upwork
c7b8ff72
Community Member

How can I get a partial refund back from a freelancer? I tried locating a button for a ticket no luck. Please help. I have been OVERcharged. 

Hi Lequitta,

Thank you for your message. I do not see any active contract on your Upwork account. Could you please share the contract ID or contract title you are referring to?

Thank you,

Pradeep

Upwork

Contract ID 33198758

Hi Lequitta,

I can see that the contract you're referring to is already closed. You can request a refund from the freelancer by clicking on the contract in question when you go to Jobs > All Contracts, and clicking "Request a Refund" from the three dots menu options. I'd suggest you take a look at this help article to better understand how refunds work.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
c7b8ff72
Community Member

I'm trying to work it out with the freelancer. He said he have not received the funds yet. I have a card on file why haven't he been paid? How long does it take for the money to come out my account. Thank you for your reply. 

Hi Lequitta,

Sorry for any confusion, I can see that the contract you had with your freelancer was an hourly one. You will be billed for the previous week's hours on Monday UTC. That same week will also be your review period, if you need to file a dispute, you must do so before Friday of the week you received the invoice. You can check this help article for more information. 

~ Luiggi
Upwork
38a1b848
Community Member

Hello Joanne

now your team said to me they can't do anything in this they closed my ticket now it means upwork anytime can refund any payment to anyone 

Hi Preeti,

Thank you for your message. I am sorry to learn that. I understand this is not the outcome you were expecting. Check out this course for more tips on staying safe on Upwork in the future and please use the flag option found on each job post or message anytime you’d like to report a violation.

Thank you,

Pradeep

Upwork
wlyonsatl
Community Member

Pradeep,

If Upwork wants/expects freelancers to keep themselves safe from "problematic" clients Upwork should provide public information about clients, including their history hiring on Upwork, such as:

1) Client's average/aggregate public and private ratings of his/her previous freelancers.

2) Client's history of requesting refunds from freelancers, issuing chargebacks, canceling projects before completion and not leaving feedback for previous freelancers

We're told we should manage our own business on Upwork and make every effort to protect ourselves from client fraud, which is difficult to do well when we have so little information about potential clients.

jpnazar
Community Member

Hello

Recently I did a hourly job and bid amount is $800 and $300.

Both side completed the job with satisfaction.

After that its on pending about a week and now its refunded why it happened?

yofazza
Community Member

What was the job?

Was everything 100% thru upwork? If yes, it could be CC fraud. If no, most likely a scam.

Hi John Paul,

I can see that the team has reached out to you via email with more information and instructions on how to resolve the issue. Don't hesitate to respond to the team if you have questions or need further assistance. You may also check this page for the support ticket linked to your case.

~ Arjay
Upwork
ecfc2955
Community Member

As title. Client set "allow for manual time" in contract. And my contract has been done for 3 weeks. But by some magic, upwork refund all my earn to client and send me this letter. Me and my client don't have any conflict or dispute about this , but you, Upwork, destroy this. Now I cannot contact my client for "BONUS PAYMENT" as you said. So my effort in whole last month is nothing???

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

Many thanks Upwork! With only 20 minutes manual time, you destroyed my month salary easily. Many thanks! 

What mean ToS violation in your case? Manual time is allowed by ToS if client enabled it for you. Yep, manual time not covered by protection but it is not a violation.

Hi Viet,

Unfortunately, when the client fails to pay for hours logged by the freelancer, any hours that aren't covered by Upwork Hourly Protection may be reversed. Please check out this help article for more information. When this happens, first an automatic notification is sent but the team will also be reaching out to you directly via email with more information about your specific account.

~ AJ
Upwork

You guys reached me out 14 hours ago with only a ticket that sent to me via email? But have not replied any thing to me during this long time. Why? Why not ask me before you set an automatically refund? Why refund it immediately without any asking before you do this?? What is suspicious on my account??? You can refund manual time but what on the world refund all my 900$? It's so terrible.

Hi Viet,

We certainly understand your frustration. Unfortunately, we can't discuss specific information about other users' accounts or actions being taken, here in the Forums due to privacy and security reasons. We highly suggest you continue coordinating with the team through a single ticket on this page and the team will surely assist you accordingly. We seek your patience and utmost understanding while sorting this out for you. Thank you!

~ Arjay
Upwork
ecfc2955
Community Member

It's 1 day since ticket has been submmited but there is no response from you. Be responsible. We're human, we are equal.  

Screen Shot 2023-03-02 at 1.45.27 PM.png

Hi Viet,

Please note that support requests are responded to in the order they are received. Kindly allow 24-48 hours for the team to follow up with you and assist you further.

Thank you,

Pradeep

Upwork
jenaimitra
Community Member

DEL

Hi Jenelyn,

Thank you for reaching out to us. when the client fails to pay for hours logged by the freelancer, any hours that aren't covered by Upwork Hourly Protection may be reversed. Please check out this help article for more information. When this happens, first an automatic notification is sent but the team will also be reaching out to you directly via email with more information about your specific account.

I can see that you've already raised a support ticket regarding your concern. You can access your support tickets here. Note that support requests are responded to in the order they are received. Kindly allow 24-48 hours for the team to follow up with you and assist you further.

~ AJ
Upwork
haseebmansoor
Community Member

I just got notification email that about refund to client

"You refunded $480 to CPC"

I don't refund any amount and it was two weeks ago earnings from client. 

This client accounts suspended last week and I report this earnings before he got suspended. I dont know why this amount is refunded back to client. This was actual service I was provided.

Hi Haseeb,

I can see that the team handling your case has reached out via email with more information and instructions on how to resolve the issue. Feel free to coordinate with the team by responding to the letter and they will surely assist you accordingly. You may also check this page to access the support ticket linked to your case.

~ Arjay
Upwork
gamaliel69
Community Member

Last week, I completed a website performance task for a client that involves manually clicking on certain section of the platform, a task the client is well aware of. It was completed successfully and the client was hugely satisfied with my work.

Yet suddenly, I got an alarming mail from Upwork yesterday informing me that I am suspected of using auto-clicking software in my work, suggesting that I am fraudulent. They asked me to provide details of my work, failure of which actions will be taken against me in two days or so. I responded with a detailed explanation and I even encouraged them to reach out to my client to further clarify and authenticate my explanations.

To my surprise however, my pending payments was automatically returned to the client within two hours and I am left wondering what to do about this. This cannot be right. 

Hi Gamaliel,

Unfortunately, when the client fails to pay for hours logged by the freelancer, any hours that aren't covered by Upwork Hourly Protection may be reversed. Please check out this help article for more information. When this happens, first an automatic notification is sent but the team will also be reaching out to you directly via email with more information about your specific account.

If your client agreed with your work as you mentioned, they can issue a bonus payment. 

~ AJ
Upwork
jimwell_cuerdo
Community Member

2 weeks ago, I completed a lead generation for 2 different clients and it was completed successfully.

Today and yesterday, I got an alarming email from Upwork informing me that I am suspected of using auto-clicking software in my work. I never used any auto-clicking software in my work and I don't even know anything about it.

To my surprise, all my pending payments were automatically returned to my 2 clients and I don't know what to do. It was 40 hours and 20 hours of work! 

Anyone help me please?

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members