🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Unauthorized refund
Page options
cecilia_marquez
Community Member

Unauthorized refund

Hi, I recently finished a contract with a client on upwork. Things went ok, client got what they asked and finished my contract. Today, a week after the contract was closed I receive an email stating “I refunded” the client money. I haven’t authorized such thing, all hours were under the terms of the contract and logged using the time tracker... I have no idea what just happened.

Please do excuse any possible mistakes, I am currently on mobile.
ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi Zahra and Muhammad Hamdoon,

Unfortunately, when the client fails to pay for hours logged by the freelancer, any hours that aren't covered by Upwork Hourly Protection may be reversed. Please check out this help article for more information. When this happens, first an automatic notification is sent but the team will also be reaching out to you directly via email with more information about your specific account.

Update: 

This thread has been closed from further replies due to its size. We appreciate your participation in the Community and welcome you to continue the conversation on this new thread.

Thank you!

~ Valeria
Upwork

View solution in original post

577 REPLIES 577

To understand you clearly, was the job paid as a bonus? did you log hours for the job using a work diary or Upwork time tracker?

I just used the tracker for some hours during those 3 days, and the rest of the hrs, manually. 

Everyone doing everything. That's the point. Without noticing you, they have refunded on their own but showed you refunded! What a thing! 

Did you enter the hours manually or did you use the time tracker? Only by using the time tracker is your money protected. If clients ask Upwork for a refund, they almost always get it, and freelancers are not consulted or informed before the money is refunded. It then becomes the freelancer's responsiblity to dispute the refund and get the money back. And good luck with that.

Thank you Peter, I think I lost the money then lol. But I will try to dispute the hrs that I DID use the tracker

Good for you. You did the work and you should get paid for it.

Hi kenneth, can i ask how to dispute the hrs ? We're in the same situation 

Hi there, it's like in my situation. Im not informed of giving the client a refund. How can i get the $25 refund back?

Hi Shania,

I have checked your account and it looks like you're already communicating with the team handling your case. A support ticket has been created with your concern and I highly suggest you continue communicating with our team through that ticket for updates and further assistance.

~ Arjay
Upwork
abolarint
Community Member

Hi, I'm in a similar situation. All my earnings from February were reversed on both hourly and fixed contracts. What can I do about this?

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

  

Hi Abolarin,

Thank you for reaching out to us. One of our team members will reach out to you directly via a support ticket to assist you further. You can access your tickets on this page.

~ Nikola
Upwork

Thank you!

How long can this take?

Open a ticket like you already have but do not expect to get any money unless you used the time tracker 100% correctly.

There are some fixed contracts that I completed months ago. Does this mean I can't recover the payment?

You can't. Looks like Upwork couldn't successfully charge the client's card.

that always happens. it's a joke and a horrible thing done upon freelancers.

not even tracked by app is protected, Upwork make lame excuses and will give you nothing at the end

californiapz
Community Member

The client set up a contract and funded it. He cancelled the contract in a few minutes (I haven't started the project yet) and requested the refund. If I agree to refund, is there any service fee charged on me (freelancer)?

Thanks.

Hi Yousheng,

As a freelancer, you’ll pay a sliding fee based on your total lifetime billings with a client. You may proceed and approve the refund request and nothing will be deducted from your earnings such as the service fee. I can see that you've communicated with our team and a support ticket has been created. Please continue communicating with our team through that ticket for updates and further assistance.

~ Arjay
Upwork

No, you won't have to pay the Upwork service charge.

elmansuri
Community Member

Just got scammed too.

and it is so disingenuous to label it as a "refund" rather than a "dishonor of commitment" or "unrealized gain due to Fraudulous activity"

. Does Upwork accept virtual credit cards etc?

I want to submit a ticket to directly discuss this with someone from Upwork to understand why Upwork has no liability in the matter  and what is the effect of this on my JSS and other questions. So moderators, if you are reading this.... .

Hi Muhannad,

Thank you for reaching out and I'm sorry to hear about this unpleasant experience. Please note that on hourly contracts when a client fails to pay for the hours logged by the freelancer and those hours don’t meet the requirements for Hourly Protection, the payment may be reversed. 

Our team will be reaching out to you via email with updates and more information. We seek your patience and utmost understanding.

~ Arjay
Upwork
tahar-h
Community Member

Hello dear community,

I encountered a really weird thing. After finishing a work from a client (Second time working with him), and got 5 star review from him, Upwork said that I refunded the full amount (That was in my pending balance). Can you tell me what is wrong? What to do?and whome to contact to receive my money back?

Best,

Hi Tahar,

I'm really sorry to hear about this experience. Please note that on hourly contracts when a client fails to pay for the hours logged by the freelancer and those hours don’t meet the requirements for Hourly Protection, the payment may be reversed. 

Our team will be reaching out to you via email with updates and more information. We seek your patience and utmost understanding.

~ Arjay
Upwork
autosymbol
Community Member

Hi everyone, hope you're all doing well.

Earlier today (5/17/22), I received a message from Upwork notifying me of "Refund given" in an amount of $19.43.

I performed 11 hours and 20 minutes of work for the client at a rate of $29/hr, so $19.43 is approximately 40 minutes worth of work refunded.

This was a bit surprising for me, as the contract was ended on the 11th last week, and I received a 5 star rating from the client. I reached out to the client, but haven't heard back yet. (In fact, I haven't spoken to the client since the 11th despite two other attempts at correspondence regarding a future project)

I've read a few threads where other freelancers experienced a sudden refund, although the circumstances were different in each case.

In my attempt to get to the bottom of this, I have a few questions about the case.

1. I'm quite sure that the work was performed under Upwork payment protection given my work history and top rated status. However, is there any way to check if a contract that has ended was under payment protection? And yes, the hours were tracked using the Upwork time tracker on the desktop app.

2. If there was an issue with the payment from the client, how would I be able to access such information?

3. Can further monies be refunded at this point? I had the rest of the money that seemed to be successfully paid transferred to my bank.

4. Is there any way that my specific case can be looked into?

I'm not trying to quibble or make a fuss over nearly 20 bucks, but this is a learning experience for me and insights here would help me moving forward.

Thanks!

Hi Luke,

I'm really sorry to hear about this unpleasant experience. Please note that on hourly contracts when a client fails to pay for the hours logged by the freelancer and those hours don’t meet the requirements for Hourly Protection, the payment may be reversed.

~ Arjay
Upwork
samsolutionhub
Community Member

Hi bojan!

In the case where by its an hourly job and the job was completed. And the hourly job was done using the manual time. The funds were in review until the 4th day before my client was suspended. Now I was due to receive the funds after using five days in pending, only for the client to be refunded. The client isn't even responding. And it's the highest job I ever had on upwork, because he needed that project in the next 5 hours. 

What can I do? 

Hi Samuel,

We truly appreciate you reaching out and I'm sorry to hear about this experience you had with the client. I can see that you've communicated with the team handling your case and support tickets has been created with your concern. I highly suggest you continue communicating with our team through those tickets for updates and further assistance.

~ Arjay
Upwork
f2c75a41
Community Member

Following a dispute, I want to withdraw my money from my Upwork account balance and refund it to my bank account.

I put up a deposit amount for a milestone taken from my account. How do I get this refunded as the freelance left and is no longer in Upwork and not doing the work?

However, I cannot find possible solutions on the Upwork website or in the billings and payments section.

Please let me know how I can solve this issue.

Hi Jorge,

We understand that projects don’t always go as planned. When you end a fixed-price contract with remaining funds in escrow, you can request an escrow refund. Your freelancer can dispute the refund request. If this happens, we will notify you by email and you can either accept or reject their response. Please take your time and read through this help article to be more acquainted with how the procedures work. Let me know if you need further assistance.

~ Arjay
Upwork
f2c75a41
Community Member

Hi Arjay,

There's a misunderstanding. See the screenshot below. I received a credit due to the ended contract. The freelancer has been banned from Upwork, I have no communication with him. However, I cannot find possible solutions on the Upwork website.

-Jorge

ahmetoguzozturk
Community Member

I've worked with a client hourly, and at the end, he said that he'll close the contract tomorrow. After that I got a message "refund given" without my permission or without a message. How can it happen, and why? He didn't even send me a message about it.

Upwork can refund your money without your permission, and without they or the client notifying you beforehand.

Hi Ahmet Oguz,

I'm sorry to hear about the unexpected refund that's been processed on your account. Please note that when the client fails to pay for hours logged by the freelancer, any hours that aren't covered by Upwork Hourly Protection may be reversed.

The team will also be reaching out to you directly via email with more information on how to proceed. We seek your patience and utmost understanding while we take care of this incident.

~ Arjay
Upwork
4486950d
Community Member

I have faced an issue. I have started an hourly contract with a client who has a verified payment method. After tracing 15 hours in the first week but I don't get payment due to an insufficient balance in client billing account. The work activity is 10/10 for all screen shoots Who will pay me for the services fee which I have worked on? What action will be taken by Upwork for this client?

Hi Umair,

I can see that you've reached out to our team for assistance and a support ticket has been created. Please give our team time to review your account along with your concern and one of our members will keep you posted with updates through that support ticket. We truly appreciate your patience and understanding. 

~ Arjay
Upwork
18c7b72c
Community Member

Hi, I worked 9 hours on a contract, logged my hours sent my finished work and, without warning, I received an email saying that I gave a refund that the client never asked me for and that I, therefore, never agreed to. Is there a way it can be fixed? Thank you for your suggestions. 

Hi Alix,

I'm sorry to hear that you got caught off guard about this refund that's been initiated. Please note that when the client fails to pay for hours logged by the freelancer, any hours that aren't covered by Upwork Hourly Protection may be reversed.

Since our team has already reached out to you via email, I highly suggest you continue communicating with them for updates and further assistance. You can also communicate with our team through this support ticket that's been created with your concern. We seek your patience and understanding while we address this incident.

~ Arjay
Upwork

Hi, it's just happened to me less than an hour ago. I received no complaint from the client, no communication at all since I sent the finished work and now the money in escrow just magically disappeared without any action from my part. 9 hours of work down the drain!!!

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members