🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Upwork Desktop Time Tracker - black screensho...
Page options
codebox-design
Community Member

Upwork Desktop Time Tracker - black screenshots

Hi there, about two weeks ago upwork app stopped getting screenshots. Its all black. I've checked the help article, even reseted the cache and its still not working. The app does not even give an option to test screenshots out. Screen sharing works in every other app. Im on windows 11 and windows defender/default antivirus. Upwork is already on the allowed apps list. Screen recording is enabled in windows privacy settings. 
Any ideas?

30 REPLIES 30
PradeepH

Hi Pawel,

Thank you for reaching out. I can see that you've already raised a support ticket regarding your concern. You can access your support tickets here . Note that support requests are responded to in the order they are received. Kindly allow 24-48 hours for the team to follow up with you and assist you further.

Thank you,

Upwork
jefawks3
Community Member

Pawel, were you able to get this resolved? I'm having the same issue with a MacBook Pro M2.

Hi James,

I'm sorry to learn that you're having issues with your desktop app. I can see that you've reached out to our support team and raised a ticket about your concern. Please allow our team time to review your case and you will be getting an update on this page once done.

~ Arjay
Upwork
amlisouski
Community Member

Same with me. Black screen on any Inteliji product (like PHPStorm). When ever inteliji app is active screenshot is black. 
MacBook Air M2

all ok on MacBook Pro M1

Hi Andrei,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I’ve escalated your community post to a support ticket. One of our agents will be in touch with you soon to assist.

~ Nikola
Upwork
alespero
Community Member

I have the same issue - Upwork app for mac, Macbook air M2, Android Studio screen is black.

Hi Alessandro,

Thanks for reaching out and sorry to hear you're also having this issue. We’ve escalated your community post to a support ticket. One of our agents will be in touch with you soon to assist.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
84e2fc39
Community Member

I have the same issue - Upwork app for mac, Macbook Pro Apple M2 Pro, WebStorm screen is black.

iloveall
Community Member

Hello, the same issue: MacBook Air M2 - WebStorm screen is black.

Screenshot at Jul 18 11-24-22.png

Hi Aleksandr,

Our team recently discovered that the problem is associated with having a new device equipped with an Apple M2 chip. If you are using one, a workaround as of now is going to any Adobe app's Preferences and disabling the GPU Performance. Though not the ideal solution, this approach would usually fix the issue and screenshots should function correctly.

Feel free to reach out if you have further questions.

~ AJ
Upwork
relucks
Community Member

Hello, the same problem with android studio after updating to Android Studio Giraffe | 2022.3.1

Macbook M2 max

relucks_1-1691522392853.png

Hi Nazar,

Thank you for reaching out and reporting this. Our team recently discovered that the problem is associated with having a new device equipped with an Apple M2 chip. If you are using one, a workaround as of now is going to any Adobe app's Preferences and disabling the GPU Performance. Though not the ideal solution, this approach would usually fix the issue and screenshots should function correctly.

Let us know if you still need further assistance after troubshooting from your end, and we'll look into that for you.

~ Arjay
Upwork
relucks
Community Member

Doesn't help

amlisouski
Community Member

Still nothing. Screenshot is black on most reecent app on Mac

Hi Andrei,

I am sorry to hear about the issue while tracking time. I see that the team has already reached you via a support ticket and shared a workaround. Could you please confirm if you have already tried the workaround mentioned in the support ticket? You can access your support tickets here

- Pradeep

Upwork
7c4d8743
Community Member

Same issue, black screenshots in JetBrains products (WebStorm, DataGrip) on Macbook Pro m2 pro

Hi Yaroslav,

Thank you for reaching out. I checked your account and found no contract yet that would track your hours. Could you please share a screenshot of the issue you're having so we can assist you further?

~ AJ
Upwork
gnizdor_viktor
Community Member

The same issue is on Macbook Pro m2 pro. WebStorm screen is black

Hi Viktor,

I'm sorry to hear this is also happening to you. Can you confirm if you've tried the workaround that Arjay shared here? If the issue persists afterward, please let us know, and we'll be happy to escalate the issue further.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
patelchirag25
Community Member

Hello everyone,

I hope you're all doing well. I recently purchased a new Mac M2, and I'm facing an issue with granting permissions to Upwork and PhpStorm for screen recording. Despite providing them with the necessary permissions, I'm encountering same difficulties.

I would greatly appreciate it if anyone could offer some guidance or solutions to help me resolve this issue. Your expertise and assistance would be invaluable.

Thank you in advance for your support!

Hi Chirag,

Thank you for reaching out and reporting this. Our team recently discovered that the problem is associated with having a new device equipped with an Apple M2 chip. If you are using one, a workaround as of now is going to any Adobe app's Preferences and disabling the GPU Performance. Though not the ideal solution, this approach would usually fix the issue and screenshots should function correctly.

~ AJ
Upwork
i_yakivchuk
Community Member

Hello, I have the same issue is on Macbook Pro m2 max. WebStorm, Android Studio screen it black.

be710cdd
Community Member

Hi there, I have the same problem with Macbook Air M2. How to solve this?

Hi Viktoriia,

I'm sorry to hear this is also happening to you. Can you confirm if you've tried the workaround that Arjay shared here? If the issue persists afterward, please let us know, and we'll be happy to escalate the issue further.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
jefawks3
Community Member

For anyone who comes across this. I have the same issue with IntelliJ IDEs with my Macbook Pro M2. I contacted support and gave them a lot of information, including log dumps. I even tried a few "workarounds" they suggested. After a while, they finally came back to me with: "Unfortunately, the issue you contacted us about is complex, and we are not able to repair it at this point."

So, if you can't resolve it, the best thing to do is let your clients (new and old) know about the issue and that support is aware of it.

Edit: I spoke too soon; not all of the support is aware of this issue. Maybe this topic needs to be moved to Known Issues.

WARNING AND BE AWARE!

This just happened to me.

UpWork denied my payment protection for a client who failed to pay and accused me of manipulating the keyboard and mouse. I had to ask for the evidence, and once I got it, I was told it was because there were too many repetitive screens, all blank screens, with high activity—I'm a developer, and of course, my IDE is full screen, and there is high activity.

I'm still appealing the decision, and the response from the Trust & Safety team is slow at best (24-hour turnaround).

UpWork needs to resolve this issue, and let their staff know about it.

Hi James,

I'm sorry to learn about this disappointing experience. I see you've been coordinating with the appropriate team about your concern and the issue you're experiencing. Please allow our team time to review further, and we recommend that you continue coordinating with them through an active ticket on this page or your email so they can assist you more efficiently.

We seek your patience and utmost understanding while we sort this out for you. Thank you!

~ Arjay
Upwork

UPDATE: Well, the person who reviewed my case still accuses me of fraud and does not want to hear anything I have to say, and I question if they even read the support ticket that explains the blank screen issue—I like to keep my IDE full screen. (Funny enough, the IDE will be blank, but any popup windows the IDE generates will appear; you can see it in the middle picture below).

blankscreens.png

The reasoning is that other screenshots in my work diary are just fine.

Screenshot 2024-02-09 at 11.33.21 AM.png

Of course, they are; the issue is solely with the IDE and not any other program. As a Full Stack Developer, there are days I'm just doing backend development, days I'm testing the front end, and days I'm deploying changes.

What is killing me is that the UpWorks tech team cannot fix the issue; I know this will come up in the future. They say my "fraud" will not affect my account now, but how long until it does? Why am I being punished and branded as a fraudster for an issue that UpWork has?

So apparently, UpWork has been fully aware of this issue and is refusing to help work with the IntelliJ Team in fixing it. I submitted a ticket with IntelliJ Support, and this is what they said:

Hi James,

Sadly, UpWork refuses to cooperate in reproducing this issue. Here is the answer I received a few months ago:

I understand you or someone you know is facing issues using the Upwork Time Tracker. Please tell the freelancers facing issues to contact us directly so we can assess and help them.
You can also refer to or share this helpful article Troubleshoot Desktop App.

We tested all the general approaches and could not find any reason for your issue. Sadly, I have no way to reproduce it on my side.

At this point, there is not much I can do. If UpWork development comes to us with a way to reproduce the issue, we will be happy to help.

Nadezhda Tarashkevich
JetBrains Support

This is beyond frustrating especially since they keep closing my tickets.

Hi James, 

I am sorry for the inconvenience this has caused. I shared your report with our team and one of our agents will reach out to you directly via a support ticket to assist you further. You can access your ticket on this page.

~ Nikola
Upwork
Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members