🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Upwork Ranking System
Page options
mohsin013
Community Member

Upwork Ranking System

Hi All, 

I am reaching out to seek your insights regarding a recent development that has left me perplexed. A few months ago, I was ranked 1st on Upwork for 10 services, and I held this position for a remarkable 8 months. However, upon checking recently, I discovered that I am not even in the top 100.

Throughout my time on Upwork, I have maintained a stellar record. All my projects have received nothing less than 5 stars, and I have never had any disputes in my career. However, I have noticed a significant decline in the number of project invites I am receiving. Just four months ago, I would receive an average of 5 invites daily, whereas now, they have dwindled to nearly none.

I am genuinely baffled by this sudden drop and would greatly appreciate any insights or advice the Upwork Community can offer. I remain committed to delivering top-notch service and contributing positively to the platform.

Regards, 

Fahad 

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I'm fairly confident it's not a merit-based system... 

View solution in original post

33 REPLIES 33
tjmisny
Community Member

Hi Muhammad -Almost every day someone in the forums makes a similar post about how their performnace on the site has dropped drastically in 2024.  Just know that you are not alone and it is not your fault!  

I understand, but dropping by 100 is something unbelievable. 

I am Expert Vetted, 100% JSS and through most of 2022, my profile was hidden 200 pages deep into the search results.  Upwork does this... and I have no idea why.  We are the most proven people in our fields, and yet Upwork wants clients to hire an amateur instead.  

celgins
Community Member

Freelancer profiles--even Expert-Vetted, Top-Rated and Top-Rated Plus profiles--are rotated in search results. I have seen no real logic to how or when rotations occur. When a profile is rotated, it seems to me that it remains in a particular spot for several months. Meaning--you ranked high for several months; now, you may rank low for several months.

Additionally, I believe certain niches or skill categories are getting more attention these days. Profiles not focused on those skill areas may not get as much attention.

With regards to your rankings, it appears your screenshots are several months old. Also, you used "Agencies" in your search filter, which many clients might not bother to use. Either way, here is what I see:

• When I use Keyword:"business plan" and "Agencies" as my only filter, you appear on page one. When I use Keyword: "business plan" and Location: United Arab Emirates as my only filter, you appear on page one.

• When I use Keyword: "pitch deck" and "Agencies" as my only filter, you appear on page two. When I use Keyword: "pitch deck" and Location: "United Arab Emirates" as my only filter, you appear on page one.

• When I use Upwork's pre-defined keyword filters (like you used in your 'Business Proposal Rating' screenshot): "business proposal writing," and "Agencies" as my only filter, you appear on page one. When I use the keyword filter "business proposal writing" and Location: "United Arab Emirates" as my only filter, you appear on page one.

It doesn't appear you've dropped much for your key skill categories, so it's difficult to determine what you mean by "sudden drop." As stated above, I think profiles stay well-positioned in search results for months, and poorly positioned for months.

I also have a theory about why many Expert-Vetted profiles are seeing huge declines in invites and search ranks, but I'm still reviewing search results data.

tjmisny
Community Member

I would be curious to know your theory, Clark.  My theory is that turning down invitations can essentially blacklist you.  Upwork denies that they do this... but this is the only reason I can think of.  

I was in a vacation where I replied my clients late for only one month. I think that is the prime reason why my profile declined. According to me you rank up for the following reasons:

- Being online all the time 

- Updating your profile with case studies 

- Continuous bidding 

- Client rating 

- Updating keywords regularly 

celgins
Community Member

My theory has to do with client-spend, the progression of AI/ML services, the promotion of AI by Upwork, and how the ranking algorithm analyzes these. I still need to review dozens or a hundred profiles and search results before I express an opinion. I probably shouldn't even use the word "theory" because it's really just speculation. Upwork will never provide the data/information we really need to understand what's happening.

Yes--I agree. Upwork has always said that declining invitations doesn't affect profile positioning in search results, but I think it does. Everything I've seen and heard over the past 3 or 4 years indicates a drop in search position when a freelancer turns down invites. To be honest, it makes sense. Part of the algorithm's job is to match qualified freelancers with relevant jobs and if a freelancer indicates they're not available or lack interest, the algorithm probably makes adjustments.

Dear Clark,

I acknowledge your observation regarding the outdated screenshots. However, it is crucial to note that I attained the number one spot without any form of filtering. For a continuous period of approximately 8 months, my ranking was consistently within the top three. My primary concern now is the significant decline in my current ranking. It is important to highlight that I have diligently updated my profile on a continuous basis. Furthermore, over the past two years, I have consistently maintained a perfect 5-star rating for all projects undertaken. Thus, the sudden drop in my ranking is a matter of considerable concern and warrants further investigation.

I'm fairly confident it's not a merit-based system... 

Yes, you are right and that concerns me a lot. 

Maybe I'm misunderstanding your evaluation of search results. Are you saying you appeared in the number one spot for 10 skill categories including business plan, pitch deck, and business proposal writing, using no other filters (e.g., talent type, location, JSS, etc.) for 8 months?

If this is true, I'm surprised you stayed in that position for so long.

I just conducted a search using "business plan" as the only search criteria and you appear on page two.

I dont lie I stayed there till November 2023. You are checking the status now. I never said I am currently top-ranked I lost the position and currently I think I am not even in the top 50. I have some permanent clients and they know about this.

Page two in an insult to me. I should have been the first 🙂

Just check my working samples you will have an idea about the quality of the work. Thank your message Clark means a lot to me 

Just be thankful you are not on page 200+ (which is where I was for most of 2022)

Like Clark, I am confused about your statements. So, you were on page one, at the very top for 10 skills, different categories, for 8 months straight? I look at both sides of the filters and I have never seen what you are describing, and where were the freelancers screaming about your special status? I'm sorry, I think there is a misunderstanding somewhere, because it does not happen.

Your profile is nothing special and lots of people have 100% JSS with a lot more earnings. I'm not being mean, I am trying to understand why you are making such claims.

With a stellar 15-year career and an unwavering presence in Upwork's top 3, I am your go-to freelancer for business brilliance.

I know you think this sounds impressive, but you're the top 3? No one holds any sort of top slot. There is no category. The top earner in categories changes all the time, as do other metrics. There is no way you were told you were one of the top 3 freelancers, even in your category. Yes, freelancers will see your profile, and have a response, but it's the clients you need to worry about. You have had success here, and you should show it in your profile, instead of posting numbers you can't defend.

Yes, I know there are freelancers who try to claim they have made the most money, or they are number one in a search, etc. but none of it is true. The searches have always rotated.

HI Jeasnne, I just wanted to bring to your attention a matter that has been concerning me, As you are checking the ranking now I have already said I lost my position and I was in top spot for 8 months. I am currently in the process of verifying the numbers and understanding the algorithm. I am confident that in the next two months, I will regain my position through my hard work and dedication. I have always enjoyed healthy competition, and this situation has only fueled my desire to understand the intricacies of the algorithm.

About "Your profile is nothing special and lots of people have 100% JSS with a lot more earnings. I'm not being mean, I am trying to understand why you are making such claims." I never said I am special but its not the job success I am Expert-Vetted, See the sample work, 99 five 5 ratings and am currently CEO/CFO of a Dubai based business consultancy company. Anyways, thank for your message. 

The public rating, stars and all, have had little to no impact on the JSS.  I am trying to understand your post, profile, and statements.  I have never seen anyone who has the top position consistently for 8 months in a search, on ten pages, again for eight months straight. I have asked you easy questions that you aren't answering. Why do you claim you are one of the top 3 freelancers, or were? I have never, ever, seen such rankings. I'm simply asking you about the information you posted. It's one thing to be proud of your work, and quite another to make statements you can't support. I was hoping you would answer my simple questions. I won't ask again.

When you search "Business Plan" Or any other service. Your ID comes first Also search top freelancers for business plan on Google. Upwork will show few profiles and there your id also comes first. I think this is the way you know you are at top. I reached that spot for 8 months straight and in UAE for more than 8 months. 

Google and Upwork do not share business operations.

I think this is the way you know you are at top.

Exactly. You do not know. Therefore, the whole thing about being number 1, in 10 different skills, at the top of each ten pages, falls apart.

I'm not saying you do not have skills; I don't know. From your profile, it would seem so, but as I say often, profiles can be misleading. I accept that you say you are a professional. What I don't accept is your statements regarding where you were in searches, for every skill, at the top spot for 8 months straight.

Wait, I just realized...I'm not sure if we are talking about the same thing. Are you talking about being listed on Google or somewhere else OUTSIDE of Upwork? If you are, then I don't know where you mean, or what the criteria, but it would explain your comments.

So, let me know WHERE the number 1... etc. happened. Was it on Upwork proper, through Upwork, or was it somewhere else?

This is inspiring 

lizablau
Community Member

You're still talking about freelancers being "rotated" in the search results like it's 1999! 

The days of fair and organic rotation are over.  It's not how this joint works anymore.  I'm not sure why you keep talking about "rotation" as it's misleading.

celgins
Community Member

I never used the terms "fair" and "organic"--nothing about this is fair. But profiles are rotated in search results.

lizablau
Community Member

No, they're really not anymore.  

I never said its misleading I just want to understand how it works so that I can improve my self

My response was to Clark, not you.

I apologize Lisa

You have nothing to apologize for, Muhammad!  

angelgel
Community Member

Hi, I'm an Expert-Vetted user and I'm experiencing this... what are your thoughts?

celgins
Community Member

Hi Angel,

I'm still playing around with search data, but when I search your main skill category "Facebook Ads Manager" with Location: Spain, Upwork shows you in position 1 on page 1. When I remove Location: Spain and search "Facebook Ads Manager" as the only filter, you appear on page 9.

The results were similar for another main skill category: "Google Ad Manager"  with Location: Spain, Upwork shows you in position 1 on page 1. When I remove Location: Spain and search "Google Ad Manager" as the only filter, you appear on page 6.

Both you and Muhammad F are part of agencies, and I sometimes wonder whether being an exclusive vs. non-exclusive member affects rankings. I'm not sure it does, but Upwork has never revealed all the factors affecting the search algorithm.

I am also Exper-Vetted, which has been a valuable experience for me. While it's nice to share this credential with others, I have found that the real value lies in the knowledge and skills I have gained through the process. It has been a rewarding journey and I am grateful for the opportunity.

Hi, Can you please check my Upwork account?

crart
Community Member

Not your fault. You obviously provide quality work and UW is not interested in quality but your money.

mohsin013
Community Member

I am not apprehensive about the competition; I am confident that I can reclaim my position. However, I believe Upwork should consider revising its rotation policy, as I have observed individuals with average work being prioritized in the top listings. Such a practice is not conducive to the best interests of the client.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members