cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Upwork Recruiter are you for real???

Community Guru
Katrina B Member Since: Jan 9, 2011
11 of 20

Bet that will be a hit on his/her JSS

"Fairness is giving all people the treatment they earn and deserve. It doesn't mean treating everyone alike-Coach John Wooden"
Community Guru
Olga Q Member Since: Sep 5, 2012
12 of 20

@Katrina B wrote:

Bet that will be a hit on his/her JSS

He's at 100% right now.

Community Guru
Olga Q Member Since: Sep 5, 2012
13 of 20

I received an invite from that same recruiter in the beginning of December. In my case, he suggested me to apply to (a totally irrelevant) fixed price job, when I clearly state in my profile overview that I don't work on fixed price jobs. He seems to lack something...

Community Guru
Julianne G Member Since: Oct 21, 2015
14 of 20

I seriously hope this isn't legitimate.  But something tells me it is.

There are lots of red flags here, but the one that stands out the most to me that is very telling of the platform in general is "Please direct all your messages to the client." 

Then what is the "recruiter's" job?  To send out a a job invite to random providers?  Doesn't UpWork already do this?  To me, this stinks of an automated system:

1. They are (reportedly) sent to providers who are clearly not a good fit
  2. Providers cannot respond to the "recruiter" with questions
  3. The job clearly violates the TOS, which the "recruiter" obviously didn't read

All these things tell me the that recruiter is a bot, or at best, an admin person with absolutely no skill or authority to recruit.  This is an HR function that encompasses many skills and actions.  Real recruiters find appropriate talent, field questions from clients about providers, and field questions from providers about clients/jobs. They must fully understand the job (as opposed to not even reading the job) and the skills required, and they must fully vet providers to make sure they are a good fit (as opposed to not even checking if the skill keywords match the ones the client requested). 

As I think Daniel said.. this doesn't seem much different than the recommend feature, which doesn't work either, except for the fact that this attempts to fool both parties into believing that there is a real live person actively attempting to put clients with appropriate candidates.  So basically, what they've done, is add a person's name to the recommend feature.  Good times, indeed.

Kosmas K Member Since: Jun 22, 2015
15 of 20

Hello Julianne

I have to tell you that I have contacted customer support and they confirmed that is not a bot. He is a recruiter working for upwork

Community Guru
Daniel C Member Since: Nov 21, 2010
16 of 20

"Then what is the "recruiter's" job?  To send out a a job invite to random providers?  Doesn't UpWork already do this?"

@Julianne,

I work on marketing systems called "nurturing sequences".  Basically, you setup a system that builds trust between the client and the freelancers.  This would be a typical cart abandonment system (assuming freelancers are products, and the listing is the cart).  Rather than having a new client abandon the platform, they say something like "Hey, I noticed that you were interested in so-n-so, and I wanted to follow up so that I can assist you with your purchase."  If they reply, they are talking to the actual representative, but they didn't write the initial email. 

The recruiters are real, however; this does not mean that the system is not automated.  If it was mostly-automated, then they would play a small role in client nurturing.  They might get a list of new clients (fulfillment order) and a list of suggested freelancers (available inventory), then spend a few minutes trying to connect the appropriate people together.

This is what happens you give an email or a phone number to a real estate site in order to view listings.  It's powerful stuff and it works.  But the quality is so low that it's just a numbers game unless they do it right.

Having a real person contact you make it feel more important so you don't ignore them like the random client invites that you get.

In short...  It may not be automated, but it would appear to be heavily systemized and partly automated at the very least.  Just because some processes are human doesn't mean that they aren't low value nanojobs.

https://www.upwork.com/blog/2015/12/the-four-trends-that-will-change-the-way-we-work-by-2021/

• Nanodegrees and nanojobs will become more common. The half-life of a skill is so short that Kasriel says workers can no longer specialize for life in only one thing. This is changing both the way we learn and the way we work. “If the need for greater specialized expertise is growing, it’s at least partly because the demand for those skills is changing more rapidly than ever,” he said.

Community Guru
Mary W Member Since: Nov 10, 2014
17 of 20

Earlier this week, I got a totally inappropriate job post from an Upwork recruiter.  I immediately declined the job, as it required an attorney which I am not.  Later the same day, after I had declined, a different Upwork recruiter sent me the same job.  Not sure why they bother...

Community Guru
Julianne G Member Since: Oct 21, 2015
18 of 20

Clearly a very personalized service.

Highlighted
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
19 of 20

Hi Kosmas,

Thank you for raising this and I apologize for the confusion. I am following up with our Project Success team to sort out this misunderstanding.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Community Manager
Garnor M Community Manager Member Since: Oct 29, 2014
20 of 20

Thanks for flagging this Kosmas. You're right, this job post should have never been recommended in the first place. We're going to review this submission and our overall process for this. 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS