cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upwork TIme Tracker not working

mckoy_shakira
Shakira M Member Since: Jul 31, 2017
1 of 13

I am having some issues with Upwork time tracking. It seems to not be logging my work hours accurately. I just started a job about a week and a half and some days I have this issue, because of that I had to stay logged in to make the extra time not showing up. 

But today It did not log over an hour for me and I really need this to be fixed. The only time I stop the tracker is to take breaks then I start it again.

I have attached a screen shot showing that it's 5 pm my time and I should have 8 hours and about 30 minutes but it's only showing 7 hours for today. Please, someone, assist me with this issue immediately.

Apparently, I can't attach a word format. But the info can be emailed when assistance is offered. 

mthornton-cpc
Community Guru
Melissa T Member Since: Dec 5, 2014
2 of 13

Shakira, is your work diary correct, but your reports overview incorrect? If so, that's normal. The report doesn't update in real time. As long as your work diary is correct you're fine. 

Why is your screenshot in Word doc format? You should be able to save the image file as a jpg and attach it. 

mckoy_shakira
3 of 13

The work diary is not showing the hours I worked at all. I just, like a few minutes ago, had to work ANOTHER hour so it can show 8 hours, (and an extra 10 minutes went over to Thursday because of UTC). I worked from 8 am -6 pm MST, took about 40 minutes break total and the right hours are not showing up. 

mthornton-cpc
Community Guru
Melissa T Member Since: Dec 5, 2014
4 of 13

Eww, in that case I don't have an answer for you. You're probably going to get the old clear your cache and reopen your browser thing, but other than that I've got no ideas. 

Wait, are you doing any work off your computer to make the app go idle - like conference calls or brainstorming with pen & paper? Back in the day the tracker could go dormant when it detected no activity (one of the drawbacks of the time tracker). 

mckoy_shakira
5 of 13

Yeah, every day I have stuff do download using a software provided by my client for a set period of time. during then I wait until the download is completed to start another. 

aocumen
Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
6 of 13

Hi Shakira, 

Screenshots are taken when you are actively working on your computer. The Upwork Desktop App doesn't track time for periods of inactivity when there are no keystrokes or mouse clicks. So you not working on your computer where you are tracking time can be a reason for missing segments.

Also, when reviewing your Work Diary, please make sure to toggle between the options on the Time Zone options - UTC, and your time zone - Mine (UTC-5:00). I checked and can see that you were able to track 8 hours and 30 mins when I select your time zone when viewing your Work Diary.Screen Shot 2017-08-31 at 11.01.50 AM.png

~ Avery
Upwork
andreasnyder
Andrea S Member Since: Aug 6, 2017
7 of 13

Thanks for the explanation, Avery.  I ask that Upwork reconsider how it tracks time.  I ended up on this article for the same reason as the OP.  I am reading through hundreds of pages of legal documents for my clients and may go for several minutes (or an hour or two) without many mouse clicks or keystrokes.  I sometimes take handwritten notes on printed documents.  I might comment on an electronic copy of a document or make notes in Word, which I assume kickstarts the timer.  But, again, due to the nature of some work, please reconsider how the desktop app tracks time.  Further, having the timer enabled even though the it's not logging hours seems to prevent the addition of manual time.  Just makes for confusion and inaccurate recordkeeping.  Thanks! 

kshah2
Kinjal S Member Since: Mar 4, 2020
8 of 13

We are having same issue while working on some of the important code, we need to spend more time in analysis and to understand code which upwork timer app dont count and from total working hours, generally 25% of time is not being counted because of less keyboard events and mouse activity.

@upwork team please change this behaviour of Timer app because by any chance if developer is working on personal project or let say he/she is away from computer then later they will delete those billed hours otherwise their client can raise the question of that ideal time but current setting of upwork timer app is resulting in huge loss while freelancers are doing analysis related work. Clients are not ready to enable manual time tracking option and in such case developer has to bear the loss? 

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
9 of 13

Kinjal S wrote:

We are having same issue while working on some of the important code, we need to spend more time in analysis and to understand code

How do you "analyse code" without touching the mouse or the keyboard for 10 minutes? Don't you at least scroll a little once in 10 minutes? 

karanpujara17
Karan P Member Since: Jun 28, 2017
10 of 13

Yes thats also the point. 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS