🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Upwork bidding and connect process
Page options
6b700d44
Community Member

Upwork bidding and connect process

I'm interested in understanding how the Upwork bidding and connect process works. Who sets the starting bids for the jobs - Upwork, the client, or the freelancer? I find it hard to believe that all four bids are set at 58 connects less than an hour after a job is posted. That seems odd! I understand that the connects might be set at 8, 12, or 16 depending on the job type, but is that determined by the job or does Upwork inflate the connects based on your primary niche? I hate to say this, but sometimes it feels like Upwork is more focused on making money off the freelancers by requiring them to purchase connects just to hopefully get their proposals seen, rather than helping the freelancers make money for themselves.

7 REPLIES 7
spectralua
Community Member

8-16 is required bid. 58 is boost. Boost unlimited. But minimal usefull boost always 51 connects more (bots have 50 free connects). 

Are you saying Upwork uses bots to boost a bid?

Hey Duane,

Thanks for bringing this up.

I observed a highly similar thing to you as well.

And I think it would be a good idea to test it.

My observation was this - there was a $30 job in the software niche that was on literally for 2 hours.

The top 3 bids are 59,58 and 57 and there was a trailing bid at 30.
60 connects * $0.15 = $9

10% service fee = $3

Freelancer expected outcome $18 (excl taxes)

So I was looking at it and thinking must be a fluke.

I looked at 10 jobs and it was interesting to me that all the connects were around 50 to 60.

I do not think a "Real freelancer" would boost 50 connects for a $30 job. 

It makes no sense

No. I think it is not Upwork owned bots. But Upwork welcoming bots. It is allow milking freelancers for more money. Without bots freelancers will waste an 10-20 connects for boost, with bots it is 50-100 connects average.

That depends on your field. I always boost to the top if I'm particularly interested in a project, and I've never come close to 50. It's usually 20-25. 

It is possible.

I watching jobs in realtime and applying asap. Trying to jump in at first 10 min. Each time i see boosted places already taken with at least 50 connects. 1-2 min is enough for bots. Then other freelancers applying with 51, 52.. After hour from posting boosting increasing for 80-100 connects. Sometime more but common is up to 100. This for my field, have no idea about others.

6b700d44
Community Member

Thank you everyone for your responses. 

As a relative newcomer to Upwork, it is frustrating trying to get work unless you choose to open the spigot and buy hundreds or thousands of connects.  I have been here for several months and have only gotten one job. I pay $14.99 a month to see bids and receive 80 connects. I am going backward.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members