🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Upwork is great, but it can do better in some...
Page options
errabbas
Community Member

Upwork is great, but it can do better in some scenarios

Hello everyone!

So.. I just started being active on Upwork recently. It's needless to mention, it's the best site for freelancing. Fortunately, I too fetched a couple of clients and I am really enjoying spending time here. 

But... In my humble opinion, Upwork can be a little more lenient towards freelancers. Why do I think so? read on!

I saw a job post for mobile app development that somewhat read - "need a mobile app developer for milk subscription app" for $250. 

Problem - I spent 4 connects to apply on this job and got an apt response from the client. After inquiring about the requirements, he adds, "the app will also have a grocery delivery feature where users can make one-time purchases" also!! Wow! If you aren't coming from a development background, then let me tell you this is an entirely new feature and the probably would take twice the time & efforts of the project description, the client ACTUALLY posted. 

I didn't want to do it anymore! The work suddenly is a lot for what the price tag was. But wait... I just wasted my four connects. Well, I know it's not a lot but waste is waste for me!

Don't you think Upwork should have a mechanism to tackle these clients too, who post a lot less in job descriptions but want a lot more?

EDIT: As I can see most people here are of the opinion that I should have negotiated with the client and I failed to maximize the opportunity. Here are some more points to it.

1. For the sake of keeping the original post short, I did not include the whole story. I assumed, I was able to deliver what I thought, but that wasn't true.

2. I tried to negotiate with the client but he was adamant and had his own stories to counter. Please see my reply to Martina P.

3. He was himself a developer, and he knew exactly what he was demanding.

14 REPLIES 14
martina_plaschka
Community Member

Abbas A wrote:

Hello everyone!

So.. I just started being active on Upwork recently. It's needless to mention, it's the best site for freelancing. Fortunately, I too fetched a couple of clients and I am really enjoying spending time here. 

But... In my humble opinion, Upwork can be a little more lenient towards freelancers. Why do I think so? read on!

I saw a job post for mobile app development that somewhat read - "need a mobile app developer for milk subscription app" for $250. 

Problem - I spent 4 connects to apply on this job and got an apt response from the client. After inquiring about the requirements, he adds, "the app will also have a grocery delivery feature where users can make one-time purchases" also!! Wow! If you aren't coming from a development background, then let me tell you this is an entirely new feature and the probably would take twice the time & efforts of the project description, the client ACTUALLY posted. 

I didn't want to do it anymore! The work suddenly is a lot for what the price tag was. But wait... I just wasted my four connects. Well, I know it's not a lot but waste is waste for me!

Don't you think Upwork should have a mechanism to tackle these clients too, who post a lot less in job descriptions but want a lot more?

No. It seems you entirely missed the chance to start negotiating with the client, explaining the additional cost, the total cost, what you would do for him, yada yada yada. You just might have missed a wonderful client that could have been really appreciative of your thoughtful response.

I never wanted my original post to be very long! For the sake of keeping it short, I did not mention I had a long chat with the client. I tried to negotiate and explained to him what the additional feature is too much to ask and the budget should be increased. He had his own stories to counter. This is what he said - "I hired a developer on Upwork earlier and he left off citing health reasons in between the project."
Disappointingly, he had 0 hires on Upwork.

Since he used the words "in-between", I immediately asked, what is the progress and how much work is left.

He replied back - "we need to start from scratch" 🙂

836408d7
Community Member

As a Web Developer myself, I can speak from experience.

Not everyone in the world has knowledge of these things, things that people use every day, that they take for granted, seem like no big deal. But we know that it goes a lot deeper than it seems.

You're on here to sell yourself and put across to the customer what you're worth. Your response there could have been one of educating the client a little, saying that it wouldn't be realistic to complete the job at the stated price then, explain why, and counter with a more realistic offer. If they then didn't go ahead, that's fine, someone else was willing to do the full job cheaper than you, that's the name of the game.

You're right, you've wasted 4 connects. But that's not on the client, that's on you for not maximising your opportunity. Getting the interview is the hard part, you had your foot in the door and you dropped the ball.

Your words make sense since I did not include in my post the full story. Would you please see my reply to Martina P.

I hope that shows, there are clients who exploit the platform too. Not just freelancers!

wlyonsatl
Community Member

Hi, Abbas.

One thing you should assume with potential clients before you have had any communication with them is that you will often know more about what they want you to do than they do, especially in low-priced jobs. That is not always true, but it's the right place to start in your assumptions about a potential new client.

Also, many clients, especially ones new to Upwork with low budgets, come to Upwork because they expect they will pay a lot less to an Upwork freelancer then they would have to pay in their local market. There is probably a freelancer for every budget on Upwork for many types of jobs, but if the client does not understand the work they are hiring for, they will often find out too late that their low cost is reflected in the low quality of the work done.

Thank you for the advice. It helps a lot.

However, the client was himself a developer and knew exactly what he was asking for.

The whole point I am trying to make here is, the platform is inclined towards assisting clients and not freelancers. But then again, this is how most freelancing platforms work if not all. More clients are fetching more freelancers for them, not vice versa.

Thank you for your kind reply 🙂

exactly

dsmgdesign
Community Member

A client like with that kind of price tag would likely not find anyone on Upwork to do the job. So, if they don't hire, you will get your 4 connects back. 

David S M wrote:

A client like with that kind of price tag would likely not find anyone on Upwork to do the job. So, if they don't hire, you will get your 4 connects back. 

No so.

Martina P wrote:

David S M wrote:

No so.

Correct. They had a beta test of it, but it never stuck.

James G wrote:

Martina P wrote:

David S M wrote:

No so.

Correct. They had a beta test of it, but it never stuck.

They had a beta test on select jobs. Even the beta test wouldn't have guaranteed connects would be returned. 

Well, I see the last time I had connects refunded was in June. That would be too bad if it's over. It's not something I really need as I don't use very many connects. Most of my Upwork projects are from repeat clients. But I thought it was a really good idea for the newbies. 

Thank you for the reply but as far as I know, that isn't the case.

We only get connects back, if the job was canceled by the client without hiring anyone. In most cases of the client not hiring someone, the job is left off hanging and gets expired. Unfortunately, there is no connects refund for the expired job.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

David S M wrote:

But once you've made the proposal, your connects are gone for good, no?

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members