🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Upwork is no longer viable...
Page options
vikram-malik
Community Member

Upwork is no longer viable...

With a heavy heart - and despite the fair amount of time I have spent here, I have to say that Upwork is not viable anymore. Burning connects by the droves, with ZERO results is just not worth it. There are practically no quality jobs anymore - and wasting excessive connects on jobs that are simply not going to be awarded (in most cases, to anyone) is an unforgivable waste of time, money, effort, and hope (yes, every proposal we place has a lot of hope attached to it).

As I recall, things started going downhill around November last year. But now, it is like a bottomless cesspool of terrible clients, pathetic jobs with grossly unrealistic expectations, and yet, an entire army of freelancers seemingly willing to give an arm and a leg for those jobs. It is unimaginably inexplicable HOW so many jobs are getting so many proposals when the cost to propose has increased tremendously. Take any category, "Design" or "Writing" for example, and you will repeatedly find most jobs having "20 to 50" or often "50+" proposals. If not outright impossible, that is highly improbable when proposing is so costly, and free members (of whom I assume are the majority, by far) get only 10 connects a month.

Something is just not adding up...I am already evaluating all my options; this is simply not working out. Neither is it something that one can really do part-time. Just sad...because this is a great way to work otherwise, as long as there is a regular stream of meaningful, well-paying jobs.

I have so many suggestions for Upwork:

1. Get rid of free members altogether - everyone should "pay to play".
  2. Thoroughly vet the credentials of freelancers for the category/categories they intend to participate in. Introduce or bring back pertinent tests that ratify their claimed skills.
  3. Attach a cost to clients for every job they post (that can be small & yet be refunded once the job is awarded).
  4.  Have a daily/weekly/monthly limit on the number of proposals that can be placed from a single account.
  5. If there are bots creating multiple free accounts for placing proposals, I am sure there is a way to identify and deal with them.
  6. Focus on bringing QUALITY clients to the platform, not "wannapreneurs". I feel this should be the highest priority.
  7. The use of AI is not at all as ubiquitous as is often assumed here, especially by prospective clients. These days, I notice a trend where it is as bad as "guilty until proven innocent" and not the other way around. Work on sending a message of reassurance on this front.
  8. 8 connects ($1.20) are simply too much, irrespective of the dollar value of the project. Many hourlies especially do not make sense to require 8 connects for proposing on them. I particularly mention this in the context of the extreme uncertainty around actually winning jobs, despite proposing. I feel the previous 2, 4, and 6 connects regimen was just fine. 

Ultimately, Upwork must realize that both clients and freelancers are equal stakeholders. Neither party can add any value to the platform without the other. 

5 REPLIES 5
PradeepH

Hi Vikram,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback and suggestions. I am sorry to hear about your experience and how you feel about the same. I will be sharing the suggestions listed in your post with the appropriate team. I will not be able to share the timeline for their review and the outcome of their decision. We announce in the Community in case of any changes on our platform. 

Thank you,

Pradeep

Upwork
isabeli
Community Member

Vikram, 

Working as a freelancer on Upwork has totally changed. There are many people who do not have credentials for quality jobs, and their rates are super low, it is very difficult to compete with them, since we have to pay everything we do 10% to Upwork, buy connects to be able to apply for possible jobs with more than 8 to 20 connects and then pay the taxes.

I don't agree with you that we all have to pay to be on Upwork, you are adding more costs and that is unfair.
Hopefully there will be more job opportunities for everyone.

kelly_e
Community Member

Vikram—Agree completely. Upwork's viability is definitely in question for me as well. If I want ZERO results for my good money, time, and heart, I can get that "on the outside," and for most of my self-employed career, I was "on the outside"... so after building happily in this walled garden for a long time, thinking Upwork and I were partners in success... I've been returning to building elsewhere.

To your excellent ideas, may I add my suggestions—

[Some of this could be controversial—I'm not really looking to have spitballs directed at me, I'm trying to give Upwork some thoughts. Big things have to happen to make big change.]

I sent this note privately to Upwork via several methods, but who knows if anyone got it. I've mentioned my wish for a suggestion box on the forum before, and since you've got one open...

Upwork, you charge freelancers more and more but you don't take care of the basics to make the site WORTH more and more. Are you desperate? Are these your last gasping breaths?

Automate finding and trashing duplicate listings. Automate finding and trashing listings with contact info in them... and go further, get rid of any links at all in listings, until a contract is in place. That takes care of many scammers, who hope to get in and out before you spot them. Be ruthless in banning scam posters, sockpuppet accounts, and other TOS violators.

Don't allow unverified client accounts. We get charged to connect with employers—charge them a tiny fee to connect with us, and make freelancers seem like they might have value. As it is, you devalue us first, before employers even get a chance to do so.

Find ways to encourage hires—
—Do you send an email for every proposal? Why not? What harm letting clients see the proposals individually before returning to the UW site?
—Do you send frequent-enough reminder emails during the next 30d? One on 2nd day (after which few hires are currently made) "32 Upwork freelancers are hoping to make YOUR job a great success!", one on 5th, one on 9th and 19th ought to perk up waning interest, maybe with randomly-selected proposals excerpted in them.
—Other...?

Don’t allow jobs by U.S. employers to be posted for under the U.S. minimum wage (which is low enough!). Should be easy enough to carry that through to other countries and their minimum wages, as well.

Cull lowest quality freelancers, so employers get a better experience. That seems hard but doing the hard work is what you’re here for. Even consider a max of daily proposals per account to slow the firehose. (Since freelancers have to be verified, this should hopefully not be able to encourage sockpuppeting.)

Think a LOT harder about making the algorithm work to get your good/ better/ best freelancers employed, so you keep your base of experts who are in it for the long haul, loyal and happy.

You need more clients, not more freelancers. Turn on the right spigot and turn off the other. I suggest hiring an excellent indie ad agency, such as [X - here I suggested an old friend of mine], to get more and better-quality employers flocking to the site. Nobody knows how to turn this morass into a miracle like my old friend [X] does, trust me. Tell him I said Hi.

Make the site work better for the people who PAY you, and who could evangelize about you and help you grow the company if you were worth the praise—the freelancers. It seems a lot like you don’t know that you are the product and we are the customers. When you are more valuable, we hand you money and say thank you for doing so!

You can carve out a quality niche—or you can drive Upwork into the ground, wringing little bits of money from a larger, but lower-end pool of ever-less-satisfied freelancers... and become the junk you used to differentiate yourselves from.

63959f4d
Community Member

Great Tips!

e5cf79eb
Community Member

You're totally correct vikram,  and i think it gets worst for the beginners. I don't think beginners should start from upwork they can really feel demotivated and disheartened. 

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members