🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Upwork put funds withdrawal block
Page options
iphone_d
Community Member

Upwork put funds withdrawal block

Hello everyone,

I worked with a client from august 8 to October 5 2019. Client allowed manual hours for the project. Client and Upwork approved and paid all weeks work and I got paid for my work which is good.

After 3 months of contract end (9th January, 2020), upwork notified me as follow:

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

Isn't it a loop hole in policy where clients can reverse transactions at any time and can get work done for free?

Is there any policy on upwork that indicates that approved & paid payment can be reversed as well after 3 months of contract end? 

Why I should refund?

I am sure no one can get refund from you unless you willing to refund him. So how a client can got refund?

Upwork hourly protection is valid while 10 days of security period after work week. Why it is applicable even after 3 months of contact end?

Its a matter of upwork and client, why freelancers are responsible?

Why freelancers are paying 20% fees if they are not secure?

Your thousands of earned dollars can be at risk because clients can reverse  transactions!!

8 REPLIES 8
petra_r
Community Member

Look up "Chargeback."

the client's bank has already taken the money back from Upwork, so now you need to help Upwork try and get it back for you.

As the client paid you, Upwork will take the money back from you if the rebuttal is not successful. The terms of service forbid chargebacks, but clearly the client has gone to the bank and issued a chargeback anyway. 

Dhaval C wrote:

Why I should refund?

If the rebuttal is not successful, you have no choice, especially if you want to keep your Upwork account.

wlyonsatl
Community Member

Dhaval,

Were all of the hours you were paid for entered as manual hours by you, rather than being tracked by Upwork's Time Tracker app?

Will L wrote:

Dhaval,

Were all of the hours you were paid for entered as manual hours by you, rather than being tracked by Upwork's Time Tracker app?

From what I understand, it is due to a customer chargeback.
However, if I am not confused, after three months, whether manual or recorded hours, the client should not be able to request a refund.
I'm right?

Maria T wrote:

Will L wrote:

However, if I am not confused, after three months, whether manual or recorded hours, the client should not be able to request a refund.

A chargeback is not a refund. Don't mix those up!

A client can "ask"  or "request" for a refund any time, but after the dispute deadline, Upwork doesn't do anything about that anymore, other than possibly try to mediate.

No disputes are possible after 3 months

A chargeback means the bank / credit card unilaterally reverses the money paid. At this point, they have already taken it from Upwork.

Because the hours were manual time, the freelancer has no protection.

Petra R wrote:

Maria T wrote:

Will L wrote:

A chargeback is not a refund. Don't mix those up!

A client can "ask"  or "request" for a refund any time, but after the dispute deadline, Upwork doesn't do anything about that anymore, other than possibly try to mediate.

No disputes are possible after 3 months

A chargeback means the bank / credit card unilaterally reverses the money paid. At this point, they have already taken it from Upwork.

Because the hours were manual time, the freelancer has no protection.

Blame bad English. Sorry! Robot Frustrated
I wanted to say that if it's not a chargeback, whether it's manual or recorded hours, a customer can't ask for a refund (after three months).

Maria T wrote:

I wanted to say that if it's not a chargeback, whether it's manual or recorded hours, a customer can't ask for a refund (after three months).

Yes, (well, sort off, the client can ask any time...) but here it was 100% a chargeback - that was clear from the part that was edited out for community guidelines.

@ will Yes alll were manual

Dhaval,

Manual hours and bonuses are never protected in any way by Upwork's assurance of payment protection for freelancers.

https://www.upwork.com/hiring/for-clients/how-to-manage-your-first-project-with-upwork-payment-prote...

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members