🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Upwork to paypal
Page options
ivavideos
Community Member

Upwork to paypal

A guy that is interviewing me is asking me if he can send me money to my upwork account so i can send money through paypal to somebody because he doesn't have a paypal account. He is offering to send me 200 dollars and i need 100 dollars to somebody. Can i do this? is this some kind of fraud?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
tlsanders
Community Member

No, you can't. And yes, it is.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
tlsanders
Community Member

No, you can't. And yes, it is.

ok could you tell me how he could trick me? if he sends the money first. i am just curious

thank you

re: “could you tell me how he could trick me? if he sends the money first. i am just curious”

He could use fraudulent funds, which could get clawed back. Meaning you would be left holding the bag. You would lose money.

Paypal is NOT a bank. Neither is Upwork. It is not like dealing with cash.

ALSO: Even if that guy is 100% on the up-and-up (which he is not), you still can’t do it because it violates Upwork TOS. You could have your account terminated for doing this.

pudingstudio
Community Member

Iva V wrote:

A guy that is interviewing me is asking me if he can send me money to my upwork account so i can send money through paypal to somebody because he doesn't have a paypal account. He is offering to send me 200 dollars and i need 100 dollars to somebody. Can i do this? is this some kind of fraud?

What kind of a job that might be?

Somehow you are being 'interviewed' for a job where you should behave as a bank, but without any liability?

How? I wanna!

tlsanders
Community Member

On a side note, you don't need a paypal account to pay someone via paypal. If the person he's trying to pay sends an invoice, he can just click a link and pay by credit card.

hoyle_editing
Community Member

This sounds seriously dodgy, the client does not even need to have paypal to pay someone else! and hes offering to pay double just for you to do it? 

That does not sound like freelancing, that sounds like attempted fraud/theft - I would immediatly report everything to Upwork and not look back!

j_rains
Community Member

I first hand learned when the word PayPal is brought up in conversation to just completely shut that though down right away, I was lucky and received a temporary suspension, I could have easily been closed out. Don't even entertain the idea.

Ok got it. thank you for your help!

VladimirG
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Iva,

I apologize for the late follow up on your post. Could you please click on my photo > select Message and share the job post and client details, so I could take a look? The service this client is requesting isn't legitimate and I'd like to take a closer look. In the meantime, please review these resources, especially tips for recognizing and avoiding questionable jobs.

~ Vladimir
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths