Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upwork wants me to pay them money

researchediting
Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
21 of 50

Katie A wrote:

What's wrong with discussion on changing the TOS?  Why not advocate FOR the freelancer instead of against them?  

There's nothing wrong with such a discussion, any more than there's anything wrong with discussing amendments to the US constitution. There may be something unrealistic, if not wrong, about expecting immediate agreement, or not expecting alternative readings of the situation.

Sharing information about how the platform works, and how that is dependent on how banking and credit work, is not advocating. It's sharing information. And if you have not seen the many strenuous criticisms of and arguments against Upwork policies the forum regulars here have offered over the years, you're not paying attention.

katie_zimpel
Ace Contributor
Katie A Member Since: Aug 23, 2016
22 of 50

If you're tired of all the people throwing "hissy fits" then why come on here?  To feel superior about your knowledge of the TOS or to actually help freelancer's in their business?  Because a lot of you are not helping.  

gilbert-phyllis
Community Guru
Phyllis G Member Since: Sep 8, 2016
23 of 50

Katie A wrote:

If you're tired of all the people throwing "hissy fits" then why come on here?  To feel superior about your knowledge of the TOS or to actually help freelancer's in their business?  Because a lot of you are not helping.  

I both offer and receive help here. I never feel superior about my knowledge of the ToS, only about my ability -- which sometimes takes a bit of resolve -- to stay calm and learn. Happily, not "all the people" throw hissy fits. Many come with questions about how to handle situations that are vexing, puzzling, dismaying, disappointing, surprising and/or infuriating them. The ones who genuinely want insight and support always find it. The ones who are actually seeking validation of their own viewpoint and are not interested in other perspectives that may shed light, often wind up fussing at and about forum regulars who are simply offering dispassionate information and advice.

katie_zimpel
Ace Contributor
26 of 50

LOL.

joansands
Community Guru
Joan S Member Since: Mar 18, 2019
26 of 50

Katie - Stop me if I am wrong, but I don't believe you have answered the questions about the job you are incensed about. It was an hourly job, right? So, did you use the time tracker and did you make sure to enter memos about the work you were doing? If yes - you have Upwork protection. It sounds as though you had a problem with tracking and that might be why you are having problems now. 

wlyonsatl
Community Guru
Will L Member Since: Jul 9, 2015
26 of 50

No one will every know what you LOL'd, Katie.

Please come back to the board when this is all resolved so we can understand how this happened and what you think can be done to avoid such a situation.

katie_zimpel
Ace Contributor
27 of 50

I LOLed because Will L made the most delightful and professional and positive knock knock joke. 

joansands
Community Guru
28 of 50

But, Katie, you still haven't said anything about the tracking you did for the job you are having a problem with.

a_lipsey
Community Guru
Amanda L Member Since: Jan 23, 2018
29 of 50

Joan S wrote:

But, Katie, you still haven't said anything about the tracking you did for the job you are having a problem with.

Joan, the OP did stipulate at some point in this thread that the client responded and said it was a mistake and was working with Upwork to address it. 

joansands
Community Guru
30 of 50

Then, Amanda, why did Vladimir post Upwork payment protections?

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS