🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Urgent: Issues with Client Project on Feasibi...
Page options
mohsin013
Community Member

Urgent: Issues with Client Project on Feasibility Study

Dear Members,

I hope this message finds you well. I am reaching out to share a concerning experience I've encountered with a client project recently, and I'm seeking guidance on the best course of action.

About two months ago, I was approached by a client on Upwork to undertake a feasibility study, a task in which my agency specializes and holds a reputable position, ranking in the top 3 for such services. Initially, everything seemed to be proceeding smoothly. However, from the outset, the client's behavior has been increasingly problematic.

Despite our best efforts to maintain professionalism and adhere to project protocols, the client has continuously treated my team as if we were their employees rather than independent contractors. They have demanded to preview the content of the report before any research has been conducted, a practice that undermines the integrity of our process.

Moreover, the client has been consistently adding new requirements to the project scope on a daily basis, often accompanied by terse demands for immediate responses. Despite our attempts to communicate our boundaries and the agreed-upon project scope, the client's behavior has only escalated.

Today, the situation reached a breaking point when the client informed us that their client (acting as an intermediary) is dissatisfied and expects daily updates. It has become apparent that the project's scope has become increasingly vague and unmanageable due to the constant additions and changes.

Given these circumstances, I am seriously considering canceling the project. However, before proceeding, I would like to understand the potential consequences of such an action. Considering the client's inability to finalize project requirements after two months and their unreasonable demands, I believe cancelation may be the most appropriate course of action to protect the integrity of my agency's work and resources.

I would deeply appreciate any insights or advice the Upwork community can offer regarding the potential ramifications of canceling a project under these circumstances.

Thank you for your attention and support.

Sincerely,

Fahad

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
bbdebb52
Community Member

You appear more professionally skilled and courteous than the client, Fahad. Consider him a bad apple (a lesson to learn from) and cancel the contract. Discuss this with your team on what went wrong and whether any red flags were ignored. I don't think he's worth more time and energy. You are an expert-vetted freelancer with 100% JSS, so you opt to have clients on the same level. 

I had a potential client today. We had a 15-minute meeting, and he offered a contract but withdrew it half an hour later with no reasonable explanation. This type of behaviour is offputting and reflects a lack of reliability. What did I do afterwards? Nothing.

I didn't bother asking why he had changed his mind or what I could do to make it right because I don't have time for such nonsense. I know what I can give and provide, and that's why I value and seek high-quality clients because the experience is on an entirely different level. We, the freelancers, are in control, and that's what distinguishes being a freelancer as opposed to a traditional job where the employee has no other choice but to suck it up and deal with it. I just wish more freelancers would understand this concept and apply it. 

You've got this buddy 👍

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
spectralua
Community Member

Without money? Cancel is easiest way. Explain shortly then close contract yourself. Client able to leave bad feedback (will drop JSS) but not must. You can remove feedback then.

Or you can continue. You already see how it will move.

The milestone has been activated, and the funds are in escrow. However, it has been more than a month, and he has yet to finalize the content. In our initial meeting, he indicated the need for the study for Oman, then Global, followed by Kuwait. Now, he is informing us that he requires the study for Jordan. His rationale is that it does not matter as all countries are in the same region. This reasoning is perplexing to me, as each country possesses its own distinct characteristics. Consequently, I find myself having to restart the work every time.

I mean if you dont want to waste time anymore and will forgot about job done already (for free).

Such client will add more countries and your works will be unlimited.

As option you can start dispute because additional jobs adding with fixed price contract. It is hard way.

My choice in such cases: cancel contract with full refund. Option available asap and no client confirmation needed. I already wasted time and wont waste more and more.

Thank you for your suggestion. Money is not important to me. I was only concerned about my reputation 

bbdebb52
Community Member

You appear more professionally skilled and courteous than the client, Fahad. Consider him a bad apple (a lesson to learn from) and cancel the contract. Discuss this with your team on what went wrong and whether any red flags were ignored. I don't think he's worth more time and energy. You are an expert-vetted freelancer with 100% JSS, so you opt to have clients on the same level. 

I had a potential client today. We had a 15-minute meeting, and he offered a contract but withdrew it half an hour later with no reasonable explanation. This type of behaviour is offputting and reflects a lack of reliability. What did I do afterwards? Nothing.

I didn't bother asking why he had changed his mind or what I could do to make it right because I don't have time for such nonsense. I know what I can give and provide, and that's why I value and seek high-quality clients because the experience is on an entirely different level. We, the freelancers, are in control, and that's what distinguishes being a freelancer as opposed to a traditional job where the employee has no other choice but to suck it up and deal with it. I just wish more freelancers would understand this concept and apply it. 

You've got this buddy 👍

Thank you so much Bashar

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members