Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using social media accounts with clients

188a7ee4
Kristina D Member Since: Aug 10, 2017
1 of 14

Hi Upwork Community, 

I'm new to freelancing and I specialize in social media marketing. I was wondering how everyone handles connecting accounts to their social accounts. I'm pretty cautious when it comes to sharing my social information, epecially my Facebook profile. Do you use a social media management tool such as Hootsuite and a different email for freelance work? 

Am I overreacting when it comes to sharing my email or personal Facebook profiles? Any feedback would be helpful. 

Many thanks, 
Kristina 

tlsanders
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
BEST ANSWER
2 of 14

When I did social media work, I used Hootsuite, but for convenience rather than security. I had all of my accounts (personal, for my own business, and client accounts) in one Hootsuite account and managed a large number of business pages from my personal Facebook account. I never encountered any problems (and am not sure how you could, since clients wouldn't have access to your account), but I didn't "friend" clients (except a small number I actually became friends with over the years). 

View solution in original post

188a7ee4
Kristina D Member Since: Aug 10, 2017
3 of 14

Gotcha. Thanks Tiffany. I guess I was concerned about using my personal Facebook profile because that would be giving the client my personal email which is my first and last name. Again, I'm not sure if I'm being overly paranoid with being concerned about using my personal email. I'm very new to Upwork, so I'm not sure what is of the norm when it comes to sharing info with clients. 

Thank you for your response! 

Kristina 

pandoraharper
Community Guru
Pandora H Member Since: May 11, 2010
4 of 14

There is a difference between sharing your "personal" social media accounts, and sharing your "personal" Email and Skype accounts.

First, there no requirement that you share you social media accounts, EVER, with clients. And personally, I'd never want to share "private" social media accounts with clients, but I do have a professional Facebook page, that has no private info at all.

There is no rule that you can't share social meida accounts with clients, so long as you do not put said account links on your Upwork Profile, which is a violation.

Now, to address your comment about email (and Skype if you use it).

From a professional perspective, giving a client your "personal" email is not appropriate. You should set up an alternative email that you use just for clients. I'd recommend Gmail, because other Google apps might come into play, and if you need to use Google Apps with a client, your already set up.

Skype is fine too, if the client likes to have audio chats.

Finially, it's highly recommended that you not share Skype ID with clients unless they ask during the Interview Phase, and that you do not give a client your email address until AFTER they hire you.

tlsanders
Community Guru
5 of 14

@Pandora H wrote:

From a professional perspective, giving a client your "personal" email is not appropriate. You should set up an alternative email that you use just for clients.

How on earth would a client ever know what else you were using a particular email address for?

pandoraharper
Community Guru
Pandora H Member Since: May 11, 2010
6 of 14

@Tiffany S wrote:

@Pandora H wrote:

From a professional perspective, giving a client your "personal" email is not appropriate. You should set up an alternative email that you use just for clients.

How on earth would a client ever know what else you were using a particular email address for?

Edit: Have you ever seen some of the crazy aka stupid/lame/unicorn pink/cutesy email adresses people use? I'd bet half of the freelancers here have at least one of those, and it's NOT an address you want to give to a client. And trying to explain to new freelancer what is, and is not professional, is like herding cats.

I doubt they would, Tiffany. But I like to keep my personal life seperate  - not to mention, I prefer to have clean Inbox's. and don't want to mix Client emails + Upwork Notifications + Google Notifications+ Team Notifications + PM Site Notifications with my Personal inbox, which is used for well ah..personal stuff like uh..banking.
prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
7 of 14

Kristina, go ahead and set up some alternative email accounts that you use just for Upwork projects. That way you don't need to provide clients with your prime email address.

Set up a professional Facebook page and don't give clients your personal page info.

sivavranagaro
Community Guru
Vesna M Member Since: May 15, 2012
8 of 14

I don't think it's a good idea to reveal private life to strangers. Be it related to work or not. Unless your social accounts are more or less empty and show nothing at all.

9 of 14

@Vesna M wrote:

I don't think it's a good idea to reveal private life to strangers. Be it related to work or not. Unless your social accounts are more or less empty and show nothing at all.

I'm confused about how this involves "revealing your private life to strangers" (I'm quoting Vesna here, but she's not the first to say this sort of thing)

If your Facebook page is public, strangers can see all of your information any time they want--complete strangers all over the world can find you through search, or because a friend of a friend commented on your post or whatever.

If your Facebook page is restricted to friends, that doesn't change because someone has your contact information.

sivavranagaro
Community Guru
Vesna M Member Since: May 15, 2012
10 of 14

@Tiffany S wrote:

@Vesna M wrote:

I'm confused about how this involves "revealing your private life to strangers" (I'm quoting Vesna here, but she's not the first to say this sort of thing)

If your Facebook page is public, strangers can see all of your information any time they want--complete strangers all over the world can find you through search, or because a friend of a friend commented on your post or whatever.

If your Facebook page is restricted to friends, that doesn't change because someone has your contact information.

I just don't trust anything on internet is truly private.
Someone from friends might take a screenshot and put it outside. Someone might make a fake identity and ask you for friendship, and you accept it. Facebook might change their settings, or something, or have a bug, and get your private content public. Lastly, there are people who work as a maintenance, and if person A reports something from your content, they have access to it, although your profile is private. That means, dozens of people or more have access at any time. Anything and anyone are hackable. 

Edit: oh, and what just happened, I scrolled on my tablet and finger accidentaly clicked on someone and asked for friendship. I was surprised to see that person on my list when I know I didn't ask them to be friends, nor they did me.