🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » VAT not approved
Page options
80fcc6d9
Community Member

VAT not approved

Hello,

Does anybody already encountered issues with upwork about not accepting a completely legal and legit VAT number ?

It's been 1 week I'm trying to enter my VAT number that they'll always disaprouve. 

I start feeling they want to steal this VAT from my contracts as basically they will collect a VAT they'll send to nobody. It's an hidden fee.

Thanks for sharing your experience with me.

4 REPLIES 4
g_vasilevski
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Victor,

I would like to confirm that we remit your VAT payment to your government through the Mini One Stop Shop (MOSS) mechanism instituted by the EU.

Regarding your VAT number, you can verify the validity of a VAT number by entering it in theVIES database. Let me know if it verifies in the database but not on Upwork. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

Hello Goran,

Thanks for your answer.

According to this article you collect the VAT when a freelancer doesn't enter a VAT number. Then I wonder how you know which country to send the VAT back as you don't know about the company the freelancer  is using.

But this is not my problem here, my VAT number won't get accepted even though it's completely legit in the VIES system. I also sent a proof with apostille of the ownership of the company.

Knowing that the principle of reverse charges is the main way of doing international business, I really don't understand why my VAT number won't get accepted except to collect an illegitimate VAT fee on the 20% you already take ...

Again, it feels like a hidden fee.

Hi Victor,

Our team will reach out to you via ticket as soon as possible and will assist you further with adding your VAT number.

Update, our team is waiting on your follow up on your ticket with the number 30369987, you can access your tickets from this Link. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork
yankog
Community Member

It is certainly not shown or mentioned when they show the projected contract fee. In Bulgaria it's pretty much illegal to offer (consumer?) goods without explicitly mentioning VAT-incl. price. Maybe this here does not legallistically qualify.

Anyway, I would normally not work with someone who hides information beforehand, then asks more money on payday. But Upwork is a big player and is in the position to abuse that.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members