🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » W2
Page options
ashley-barreto
Community Member

W2

Hello,

I am a freelancer who worked last year from October to December. I have not worked anymore since.
Therefore, I made less than 900 dollars.

So I would like to know if I Would be receiving a W2 form? If not, then what form would I be receiving?

I am going to be filing my tax return and would like to know as soon as possible please?

Thank you
ACCEPTED SOLUTION
tlsanders
Community Member

If you mean from Upwork, you won't be receiving any tax forms. Upwork only issues 1099s if you earn $20,000 or more and have at least 200 transactions through the platform in a calendar year.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
tlsanders
Community Member

If you mean from Upwork, you won't be receiving any tax forms. Upwork only issues 1099s if you earn $20,000 or more and have at least 200 transactions through the platform in a calendar year.

ang696
Community Member

I am in a similar situation as the OP and would like to know some basics of how to file as a freelancer.  I've only ever worked as an employee for companies and am not sure if I need to list each client or just my overall earnings...   TIA

Angela S wrote:

I am in a similar situation as the OP and would like to know some basics of how to file as a freelancer.  I've only ever worked as an employee for companies and am not sure if I need to list each client or just my overall earnings...   TIA

No, you don't need to itemize income by client. Be sure you report it all, though, to avoid any discrepancies between what you report receiving and what clients report paying. IME some clients issue 1099s and some don't. (None of my UW clients do, I'm talking about off-platform clients.)

Thank you for your response

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members