Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Waiting for first upwork project

mairanoor
Muddassar M Member Since: Sep 17, 2015
1 of 4

Dear All,

I have submitted round 25 proposals which i am confident to do realy well, but not getting positive response. I started submitting proposal from last week, Only five are rejected and twenty still waiting for reply. I am prepared even to do free work to prove my self but do not any forum to do that. Please suggest that i can i get my first project. 

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
BEST ANSWER
2 of 4

Muddassar,

Please don't do free work on Upwork.

You don't make money doing free work, so it's kind of pointless. You would only be working with clients who are willing to violate Upwork's rules against asking contractors to free work. Those aren't the kind of clients you want to work with.

Your profile is actually pretty good. If your proposals are similar to your post here, you may need to work on your English language writing skills, or focus just on working for clients whose native language is the same as your own.

Getting your first job can be a challenge. It is easier to get hired after you have a good job history established.

Spend more time on your proposals. Use this forum to study the topic of proposals and best practices for writing them.

View solution in original post

mairanoor
Muddassar M Member Since: Sep 17, 2015
3 of 4

Preston H,

Ok i will work on my englisth language skills and will go for english language tests within next week. Thanks for advice.

blastofflabs
Community Guru
Steve B Member Since: Jul 1, 2015
4 of 4

Muddassar:

I think part of the problem is your title: Data Entry Operator, and your hourly rate.  You are selling yourself a bit short as a lot of your skills are at a higher skill level.  I recommend you reflect your I.T. skills better in your profile, and charge a higher rate maybe $10/hour.  Sometimes you need to bring your rate down to get the first job but at $3 you are saying to clients that your skills are not very valuable.  But MS-Access, Visual Basic, and IT skills are valuable.

Good photo on your profile, as Preston mentioned your profile is not bad.  You might work on the formatting a bit and emphasize your more valuable skills.  

I think you would be well served to come up with at least ten portfolio items.  It doesn't have to be beautiful, just show work you've done, or the TYPE of work you've done, with a short note.  

Finally, if you can take more tests that shows you are "in the game", that you are willing to go the extra mile and are not just taking the easy route. 

hth

Steve B. 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS