Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is "job success" really?

jessicasimko
Community Guru
Jessica S Member Since: Dec 4, 2015
1 of 2

While this hot topic of JSS scores continues to boil over at the deaf ears of Upwork, let's talk about what job success really is...

Upwork would like the world to believe that job success is:

1) Public feedback (totally agree)

2) Private Feedback (totally disagree since not sharing it but expecting you to improve is simply malicious)

3) repeat and long term clients - (agree) 

4) closed contracts (totally disagree - this is clients responsibility PERIOD)

so - only 2 of those actually are fair AND indicate job success.

What about these REAL items that DO indicate job success or non-success? 

1) Fixed rate jobs that get ADDED work put on, because the freelancer did a great job and the client added milestones which means MORE work because they were SUCCESSFUL in the past work. This is evident in the fact that client paid over the agreed upon fixed rate? I think so!

2) Bonus payouts - Why do people give bonus payouts? Probably Several reasons so make a drop down box for giving bonuses that gives the option of "freelancer did great job". 

3) Disputes. Why aren't disputes included? If you want to punish a freelancer - dock the JSS for disputes LOST (only - no penalty for winning, remember, clients aren't Gods...)

4) Suspended accounts that are resolved but initially the fault of the freelancer 

In the real world, "going above and beyond" indicates real job success. Not chasing contracts to be closed or punishing for feedback you won't share. So..show who goes above and beyond.

So, let's say everyone starts at 100% and if you have all 5 star public feedback with nothing else you have 100% job success score.

-Bad public feedback docks your score

- Disputes you lose docks your score.

- Suspended accounts for valid reasons docks your score

-Long term contracts slightly pads your score because it shows you can work long term...but doesn't necessarily show you are doing exceptional work.

-added milestones beyond initial job adds to your score (when payout is more than initially agreed)

-repeat contracts add to your score

- bonus payouts add to your score 

So..now we can have people with some/lots of bad feedback and such in the 70s..80s...  Good solid freelancers around 90-100. And then...you can have exceptional freelancers with maybe 110% job success. Or 120%...all based on the things that really show success and going above and beyond means you deserve more than 100%.  Why shouldn't a freelancer who gets lots of bonus payouts , added milestones, repeat contracts not show the world that he or she goes above and beyond? Then clients know who the truly exceptional freelancers are without hurting everyone else. 

Thats is one way to do it. The other way is to keep it maxed at 100 but use the factors above and not the things that are totally out of the freelancers control.

d_lidwell
Community Guru
Dawn L Member Since: Sep 3, 2015
2 of 2

@Jessica S wrote:

What about these REAL items that DO indicate job success or non-success? 

1) Fixed rate jobs that get ADDED work put on, because the freelancer did a great job and the client added milestones which means MORE work because they were SUCCESSFUL in the past work. This is evident in the fact that client paid over the agreed upon fixed rate? I think so!

Added milestones over a certain period of time do positively count toward JSS. That's how long-term fixed rate contracts are determined. Most of my open contracts right now fall into this category, since I only work fixed-rate and several of my clients have added milestones over the last 3-4 months to give me more work. After a three month period (I believe), they are viewed as long-term contracts and help to cushion your JSS should you get bad feedback on a gig.

@Jessica S wrote:

3) Disputes. Why aren't disputes included? If you want to punish a freelancer - dock the JSS for disputes LOST (only - no penalty for winning, remember, clients aren't Gods...)

4) Suspended accounts that are resolved but initially the fault of the freelancer 

Again, these two things are included. Remember, though, the algorithm works on a 6-month, 12-month, and 2-year cycle, so the disputes and suspensions may not show up 2 weeks after they occur (this part I could be totally wrong on, but I'm 100% sure that suspensions and disputes do get factored into the JSS).

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS