cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What should we or oDesk do? Is that a new feature I am missing?

Ace Contributor
Md. Mahadi H Member Since: Nov 14, 2014
1 of 7

Lets first see the image I attached or follow the link...
**edited for Community Guidelines**

This job post says
**edited for Community Guidelines**. When I first saw this, I thought Oao...Is that a new feature to advertise freelancers themselves to get jobs? I scrolled down and found there are more of it. At least 4 to 5 of it, the same post. Then I realize its a spam and definitely its advertisement. I flagged three of them myself as spam and advertsing.

But unfortunately, the following morning I found them again. I was shocked. If it is still there what is the meaning of flagging? What should we do or oDesk do to remove such spams or self advertisement? The first tought came to my mind again "Is that a new feature to advertise freelancers themselves to get jobs"?. Is that what I am missing?

Looking forward to hear more on this issue. Thank you for reading and for your valuable reply.

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
2 of 7

Hi Md. Mahadi,

Thank you very much for reporting this. I will make sure this report reaches our Team and appropriate actions are taken against the user who posted it. Users are not allowed to use their client accounts to solicit work.

Also, note that we had to edit your post and remove identifying information.

Thank you for your understanding and cooperation!

~ Valeria
Untitled
Ace Contributor
3 of 7

Hi valeria

Here is another one. So you see the number is increasing. I think its a time to think about it seriously and take necessary actions. Sorry didn't find another way to let you know about it.

Thanks for understanding...

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
4 of 7
Md. Mahdi:
Yes, those posts ARE advertising and they are always inappropriate. ODesk has set up an entire massive website designed to help freelance contractors get jobs and earn money. But it must be done in the right way and posting a job listing that is actually an advertisement for one's skill is not the right way to do that. It wastes the time of the contractors looking for jobs the right way, and it wastes the time of the person who incorrectly posted the listing.

In almost every case this happens out of ignorance. These posts are usually created by people who are new to oDesk and didn't read enough directions. They think that oDesk works like some other website, perhaps, where one can create posts like that.

Anyway, thank you, Md. Mahdi, for flagging these types of listings. I always quickly flag listings like that myself, and in my experience, after I flag a listing like that, it usually disappears from the job listings section fairly quickly.

One quibble I have with the flagging drop down menu, however, is that the best option for flagging self-promotional resume posts like this is to call them advertising. I think some people might hesitate to use this label. Because it is not what we generally think of when we think of advertising. And that label seems to be meant for something else. Also, the "posted in wrong category" flag does not seem quite right, either, because that strikes me as something I would use to (for example) point out that a writing job accidentally got filed in the graphic arts section.

So it really would be nice if there was an inappropriate flag label just for this type of instance, something we could use to easily indicate that a posting in the jobs section is actually a "resume" or "looking for work" or a "contractor's self-promotion"... Or something. I am not sure what the best wording would be, but it would be nice to have something specific, because this is the most common type of inappropriate job posting that I see.
Community Guru
Darrin O Member Since: Jan 20, 2015
5 of 7

I agree that the flagging options need to be improved.  In addition to the two categories Preston gives, I also sometimes use Spam, because it usually isn't clear how or why new "client" accounts get set up to post junk jobs.

In the big picture, it's an oDesk quality control issue.  I still pretty green, but it sure is a waste of my time to also see ads that were clearly intended to be a private message to a freelancer, or ones with descriptions that are just the title repeated.  I don't know if that's a new problem or an old one, but it ought to be addressed.

Either oDesk should improve the flagging, or they should make clients jump through more hoops when it is clear they are posting rubbish.

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
6 of 7

re: "see ads that were clearly intended to be a private message to a freelancer"

It is actually very tricky and non-intuitive to send a private invite job to a specific contractor.

I think it is done using the "Contact" button that a client sees when they click on a Contractor's name in their team members list...

As a client, I have invited specific contractors to work on projects a couple of times, and I'm not sure I ever did it exactly right. I can tell that I have personally posted jobs in the general forum as public jobs and then sent a link to the job to a specific contractor, not because I wanted to waste the other contractors' time, but because I couldn't figure out how to do it the right way.

Ace Contributor
7 of 7

@ Valeria

Its really nice to hear from you and as you assured to to take actions about this issue. No problem with editing. I will be more carefull next time. Just wondering why the word "flagging" has been edited. After all its a word used by oDesk itself.

@Preston

You are always great to explain anything elaborately. I agree that there is something with the flag level that oDesk ccan work with to mak it ppropriate. Sometimes I hesitate when I want to flag a post thinking which one is appropriate. I think adding "OTHER option with manually typing the case as it is" would help to define the category properly. Though it will take some extra seconds but you will agree that when I will think a category for post at the same time someone else will think it as differently. In either case as a freelancer I just would be happy if there is no such job post which are spammy or inappropriate. Another thing I just want to say that sometimes the clients are not ignorant but some freelancer are so desperate to get jobs that they think of it as a alternative way.

@Darrin

Thank you Darrin to raise another good thing. I usually dont apply myself to a job post when it is posted specially for someone indicating names. But I saw some freelancers still apply to those posts. Definitely its a waste of time. I dont know how clients account works but I think thay can hire directly the freelancer they want. Why wasting times of others?

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS