Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When a client asks for links to work

kathy1010
Community Guru
Virginia F Member Since: May 14, 2017
1 of 8

Hi, guys. What do you do when a potential client asked for links to your work. For more than half of my work, I don't have a clue where it ends up. For others, I know the blog or website, but my work doesn't have my name on it. Besides, I don't feel comfortable saying, "Go to XYZ's site and take a look at the blogs there."

What's the best way to handle this. 

Thanks.

bobafett999
Community Guru
Prashant P Member Since: Sep 29, 2015
2 of 8

@Virginia:  This is not direct answer to your question, but you may want to create a website and write somethings.  There are many free website builders (weebly, Wix) and you can do it yourself.  It does not have to be pretty, all you need it is for sending links to articles you have written so that the buyers can see your writing style etc.  If you can write an e-mail, you can create a website on your own.

kathy1010
Community Guru
3 of 8

Thanks, Prashand. But what's the difference between that and my just attaching word document copies of my writing? What am I missing?

bobafett999
Community Guru
Prashant P Member Since: Sep 29, 2015
BEST ANSWER
4 of 8

Well in a way nothing, but:  It looks more professional.  They can read it wherever with whatever device and you an also have a short interestig bio.  They may get to know you.

View solution in original post

kathy1010
Community Guru
5 of 8

Hmmmm. I like this. Tag my best work to a website. That genius. Thanks a lot. I'll do that.

yitwail
Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
6 of 8

VIrginia, you probably know this already, but if you're going to put the site in your profile, then the site must not contain any contact info or form to abide by Upwork ToS (although I'd think there should be an exception for a link to your Upwork profile).

Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
7 of 8

Virginia, I use website pages as samples all the time, though that's not bylined content. In fact, when I'm talking to a potential blogging client, I will typically send web pages as samples rather than blog posts, since blog posts are usually ghostwritten. 

I very rarely allow a client to use my byline, but it's never been a problem--I've never had a prospective client question whether the work was actually mine or ask for something bylined. 

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
8 of 8

edited - misunderstood...

Smiley Happy

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS