Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where can I see client name?

Community Guru
Richard W Member Since: Jun 22, 2017
11 of 23

@Preston H wrote:

Remember:

None of the other freelancers applying to the job have the client's name.

Nobody is using it.

Au contraire. As mentioned above, freelancers can often find the the client's name in feedback from previous hires. And, given the number of sources (including Upwork) that recommend using the client's name, I'd be amazed if no one is doing it.

Personally, I don't go looking for the client's name in feedback. But occasionally a client gives their name in the job description, and then I do address them by name. It seems unfriendly not to.

Jason A Member Since: May 3, 2019
12 of 23

"Au contraire. As mentioned above, freelancers can often find the the client's name in feedback from previous hires. And, given the number of sources (including Upwork) that recommend using the client's name, I'd be amazed if no one is doing it."

Ah, but au contraire to you, Richard.

I have used your tactic several times only to learn that the name I saw in the reviews was not the name of the person who posted it. So I ultimately look like a fool. Upwork needs to make a client name clear and apparent if it's going to suggest we address them by name. It's downright poor practice to force your freelancers to hunt and peck for such an appraently crucial detail. 

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
13 of 23

Jason A wrote:

It's downright poor practice to force your freelancers to hunt and peck for such an appraently crucial detail. 

It is not "a crucial detail!"

I doubt many, if any contracts are won or lost because of the use of the client's name on the proposal.

Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
14 of 23

Jason A wrote:

"Au contraire. As mentioned above, freelancers can often find the the client's name in feedback from previous hires. And, given the number of sources (including Upwork) that recommend using the client's name, I'd be amazed if no one is doing it."

Ah, but au contraire to you, Richard.

I have used your tactic several times only to learn that the name I saw in the reviews was not the name of the person who posted it. So I ultimately look like a fool. Upwork needs to make a client name clear and apparent if it's going to suggest we address them by name. It's downright poor practice to force your freelancers to hunt and peck for such an appraently crucial detail. 

Jason,

The "tactic" you mention was neither claimed nor endorsed by Richard. He appears to be noting a likely phenomenon.

The management of client accounts can pass from hand to hand. So yes, client history is pretty unreliable if your aim is to be courteous.

Upwork doesn't have to do anything, except perhaps abandon its silly (as it stands) advice.

For both use of names and general length and tone of a proposal, I follow the style of the RFP.

Best,

Michael

Karen B Member Since: Apr 12, 2019
15 of 23

I look at the client's feedback, and often can find their name there, and I prefer to use their name in my bids.  

Karen Joy G Member Since: Jan 7, 2019
16 of 23

So, how are we going to address clients since ive read from somewhere that a proposal letter that starts with a "Dear Sir" or a "Dear Maam" goes straight to the bin.

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
17 of 23

Karen Joy G wrote:

So, how are we going to address clients since ive read from somewhere that a proposal letter that starts with a "Dear Sir" or a "Dear Maam" goes straight to the bin.

I just write "Hi" and launch straight into my proposal. No need for any "Dear XXXX" unless the name is shown on the job post in which case I write "Hi John" or whatever.

Khaled A Member Since: May 28, 2017
18 of 23

Thank you.

This is best way for using Hi on cover letter.

Community Leader
Shahzad A Member Since: Feb 25, 2015
19 of 23

Dear Suhaib C,

You can go to the client's job history, and see if any freelancer gives feedback comments to the client by saying the name. Otherwise you cannot see the client's name before submitting the proposal. Best of luck in the future.

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
20 of 23

I don't care about a client's name even when I can see it.

I don't get paid based on a client's name. I get paid because a client (regardless of their name) sends me a hire offer for a real contract, to do work that I know how to do.

Clients whose names mean nothing to me and can not be searched on the web are more likely to be profitable to me than clients whose names are instantly recognizable and which, when googled, lead to impressive-looking websites set up by Fortune 500 companies. Clients providing names that fit into the latter category are usually scammers offering fake names in order to trick newbies.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS