cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why are my Earnings still pending

Aniruddh J Member Since: Mar 29, 2016
61 of 73

@boshoffirene wrote:

Upwork is not a financial institution of any sort.........Upwork is not bound by any particular banking laws or practices. 

No. As per the guidelines, no institution is allowed to hold funds of an Indian citizen regardless of their business nature.

@boshoffirene wrote:

The holding period is to ensure payments etc. are not made fraudulently. 

So, why not do it when the client places money in the escrow? Why they have to do it when the client releases the money? 

Community Leader
Diego I Member Since: Jul 6, 2016
62 of 73

Hello, I have some pending payment without availability date, its been on pending since last Friday. The client told me it had some issues with his bank but he would resolve that on Monday 3th, but it still show no Date. 

Should I contact the client? or maybe some from upwork can take me to the right direction. 

Thanks. 

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
63 of 73

Hi Diego,

It looks like there were some issues with the client's payment method so the payment didn't clear. Once the client resolves those issues, the payment will be processed and you will see the date when the funds become available.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Community Leader
Diego I Member Since: Jul 6, 2016
64 of 73

@Valeria K wrote:

Hi Diego,

It looks like there were some issues with the client's payment method so the payment didn't clear. Once the client resolves those issues, the payment will be processed and you will see the date when the funds become available.

I will talk to the client then. Thank you.  

Community Guru
Jonathan H Member Since: Jun 19, 2019
65 of 73

Irene B wrote:

Upwork is not a financial institution of any sort. The holding period is to ensure payments etc. are not made fraudulently. It is a security safeguard. Upwork is not bound by any particular banking laws or practices. 

That may be so - (and please understand, i am fine with the system - i was aware of it very early on so it is what i expect, in fact it is much quicker than getting payments in the 'real FL world with 60-90 day waits).

However, i dont really agree with it/the reasons given - security period??? for what? when you buy products in store OR online, do the stores hold your payment for a week before releasing your purchase? no of course not! Furthermore, payments should be well and truly clear by the point the client releases funds - this is the modern digital world, funds are transferred between banks instantaniously - is Upwork still using snail mail and writing cheques?

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
66 of 73

Jonathan H wrote:

Irene B wrote:

It is a security safeguard.

However, i dont really agree with it/the reasons given - security period??? for what?

Fraud, hacking, extortion, blackmail, other shenanigans best not mentioned to avoid people getting ideas.

Community Guru
67 of 73

Petra R wrote:

Jonathan H wrote:

Irene B wrote:

It is a security safeguard.

However, i dont really agree with it/the reasons given - security period??? for what?

Fraud, hacking, extortion, blackmail, other shenanigans best not mentioned to avoid people getting ideas.

So why are the same "safegaurds" not used by ALL online retailers - imagine Amazon insisting on a week long "safeguarding" policy before sending your delivery? 

If anything Upwork has far more time to 'safeguard' our earnings than other online businesses, as it is holding the money for a period of time before the funds are released. clients pay with a credit/debit card just like anywhere else on the internet so i fail to see why Upwork needs the special precautions. 

As previously stated, im not really bothered by it, but it still makes no sense to me!

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
68 of 73

Jonathan H wrote:

So why are the same "safegaurds" not used by ALL online retailers - imagine Amazon insisting on a week long "safeguarding" policy before sending your delivery? 

I could give examples but I don't think it's appropriate. Suffice to say the "triangle" Upwork - Client - Freelancer is not the same as the triangle Amazon - Seller - Buyer, nor are the potential amounts involved.

Let's just say the biggest amount I am personally aware of that would have vanished without the security period was in excess of $ 45,000.

Community Guru
69 of 73

OK, Fair point if you are talking such figures - though i suspect anyone that is really bothered by such wait times would be concerned with significantly lower figures than that! Maybe even lower than your average Amazon transaction!

Rachel G Member Since: Oct 21, 2016
70 of 73
Petra you don't have to be condescending you are on a help forum...if it annoys you that people want help then don't go on it and reply or just give the advice and that's it.
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS