🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Help me understand my low success rate.
Page options
Muhammad Tariq S Community Member

Why did my JSS decrease?

Job success score on Upwork drastically decreased from 100% to 60%

I am worried about my job success score on Upwork. It has drastically decreased from 100% to 60%, even though I have not received any negative reviews or cancellations on my profile. I am putting in my best efforts and maintaining my quality of service. Please review my profile and check if there are any miscalculations.

Recently, I ended two contracts myself because both contracts were completed, but the clients did not end them. I am concerned that this may have affected my job success score. One of the contracts was fixed price, and the other was hourly. Since the latter was inactive for a long time, I ended it and marked it as completed. Both contracts were completed, but the clients did not end them.

Could you please fix this issue and let me know if there is anything else I can do to improve my job success score?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Luiggi R Moderator

Hi Muhammad,

Thank you for your message. Your Job Success Score can change for a number of reasons, even without recent activity. Your best JSS score will be displayed based on the rolling windows when it is calculated. Sometimes, new contracts are added that impact your JSS. Other times, old activity is aged out.

For example, a contract will no longer count in your six-month JSS window once it is six months and one day old.

Your JSS can change because:

• You’ve received poor public or private feedback from one or more clients
  • You’ve received very positive public or private feedback from one or more clients
  • A higher-value job is added to your JSS and it outweighs lower-value jobs
  • Past jobs are no longer considered because they fall outside the time frame
~ Luiggi

View solution in original post

498 REPLIES 498
Dustin S Community Member

Im taking any jobs I can find. Most PM or Operations jobs are not responding, they are simpy a waste of credits so far. 

Jeanne H Community Member

I understand needing a job, but by taking mystery shopper, etc. it takes away from your real skills, especially with so few jobs, because it really stands out.

A lot of jobs are a waste of connects, but vetting make it a lot easier. Heavy vetting is necessary for the client and the job.

Dustin S Community Member

I waste so many connects. I had to start taking anything I can get. Nothing else is working for me. 

I understand needing work, but if it's not working, then you need to reconsider your work here, and see if there are better ways to market, or better platforms and options for your skills. Do some investigating and learn about options. Upwork is only a platform listing jobs. There are many other options in freelancing. Be creative and think way outside that box.

Mahmoud A Community Member

Hi, 

I have finished three jobs and currently have one in progress. For two of the completed jobs, I finished the milestones, but the clients didn't end the contracts. I messaged them twice, but received no response for more than a month, so I ended the contracts myself. The third job was ended by the client.

Now, I see on my profile that only 50% of my jobs are marked as successful. I have completed all three jobs and received payment, so why is my success rate 50% and not 100%, or at least 75% if the job in progress is counted?

Rahul B Community Member

Mahmoud, 

from my personal experience I am sharing this, try not to end the contract from your end.  if they are not responding have patience or leave that space open. Because if they end they get to see the review page first.  Alternative option is bit difficult for clients.  

from here I am not able to see your profile. But I believe your private score or rating was poor. 

Next my suggestion will be to focus on some quick and small gigs in your filed to achive the score higher.  

I know it feels frustrating at this point. But my friend with time, it grows.

Best wishes. 

Saad A Community Member

Hi, My job success score was 100% for the past 14 weeks and suddenly it dropped to 66% and then I got another 5star and it increased a bit to 76%. I wanted to know why was it suddenly dropped even though im actively working on projects and I'm also applying for newer jobs?

Jigar D Community Member

When I completed my last project on upwork that time i had 80+ success score in my profile. After that it decrease to 75 and now I have 67 success score. Without doing any work and i got 5 star rating still reduce success score. Upwork commission charge is very high. Upwork should understand how success score is difficult to maintain and increase success score. Upwork should fix it. It is unfair and I am very unsatisfied with upwork service. 

Will L Community Member

One explanation for the drop in your JSS is that the most recent client left very negative private feedback for you. You can never see this feedback.

Another possible explanation is that an older good rating from a previous client dropped out of your JSS calculation.

There is no reason to expect Upwork will change its JSS calculation to any significant degree or that any freelancer will ever be able to identify the various constituents in that calculation.

Mohamed Hichem B Community Member

Hi all

Today I realized that I have lost my top rated badge, because my jss droped to 86%

Ain’t no reason why that happens to my jss, my client didn’t give me neither bad rate nor bad feedback, so why my jss droped ? Upwork are you sheeting on me ?

It’s my right to know why my jss droped, this is a lie or a bad joke, and this is not serious at all, this happens to me after more that 11 years with upwork, I am very mad at this, I want either a report for that or get back my 100% jss and my top rated badge, I still work with my client, and I will ask him whether or not he left me bad reason why he closed the job

That’s very bad Sir Upwork, you lied and sheet on me!!

Take a deep breath.

The client left the feedback, not Upwork.

How did Upwork harm you? They don't give the feedback.

Private feedback is likely what dropped your JSS. You can't see and will never know what is in your private feedback, but it is likely that is what dropped your score. There are other factors such as amount of jobs, and the rotation every six, 12, and 24 months, but the JSS is updated every two weeks.

Clients often don't want to look like they left a bad review and will do the stars thing but leave honest feedback privately. Your JSS of 85% is not that low, and you should be able to recover with just a few jobs.

Here is the link to information on the JSS.

Hi Jeanne and thank you for your reply

I am sorry, but no and no and no, my client didn't leave me bad private feedback, just simply because he is still working for me on a new full time contract, also he increased my rate from 4.85 stars in the first 2 contracts to 5 stars in the last one, I don't believe that my client left me bad private feedback, because if he did, do you think that he would work with me again, and he is really happy with my work, so something my be wrong, do you advice me to ask him about this ? because believe me I will.

Thank you.

Did you read the information in the link I gave you? It doesn't sound like it. There are multiple reasons your score can go down, but the most common cause of your JSS dropping, is poor private feedback. Clients will give you 5 stars, while being honest in private feedback. If you are still working with the client, and no feedback has been left, then no, the client didn't leave you poor feedback, because they didn't leave feedback at all.

You have other jobs. If you read the link, one or more of those reasons is why your score changed. Again, the most common cause of the JSS dropping is poor private feedback. If you read the link, you will know.

Leave your client alone. If they haven't left feedback, it can't be them. Your other clients can certainly give you poor private feedback.

Hi Jeanne and thank you again for your reply.

I know what I did those last 2 years, that's why I wonder why my jss goes down, I say it loud and high, my client, or any other client, didn't left me poor feedback in private nor in public, otherwise he wouldn't start a new contract with me, and wouldn't give me 5 stars instead of 4.85 in the first 2 contracts.

I don't know what happened, and upwork doesn't say anything about it, it's not good as upwork is no more a marketplace, it's like a country now with millions of freelancers.

Is there a way to ask for the reason why my jss goes down ? because I am sure this is unfair !!!

Regards

Hi 🙂

Guess what, my jss jumped to 89%, nothing has changed in my profile, no new contract, no new feedback,

Can somebody explain this to me please, what's goin on with my jss to decrease from 100% to 86 and go to 89, I also hesitate to apply for the vetted badge cause of this too.

Thank you

Aliyu H Community Member

Hello moderators,

My account's JSS hasn't really been updated accurately lately. I've not had any bad review in months and by bad reviews I mean anything less than 5/5 job rating. Yet, my JSS drop from 100% to 88% and has refused to go up ever since.. as Evaluation is today, I would kindly request that my account is thoroughly checked to figure out if this is some sort of technical error. I've been missing out on jobs because of this JSS. Please help check it out.

PLEASEE.

Hayat
Will L Community Member

As has been discussed on this message board hundreds of times, in the calculations of your JSS your clients' public ratings for you are less important than their private ratings (which you will never see).

Salina P Community Member

My JSS has decreased from 100% to 78%. I didn't get why this happened. I have completed 2 jobs; one was completed with a 5-star review and another was ended by Upwork. They also sent me a message explaining why this happened; they said, "We have blocked your client's account." So, please let me know what I can do now, as it is a big problem. 

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

Luiggi R Moderator

Hi Salina,

I’m sorry to hear about your score drop, but we're afraid that we won't be able to comment on an individual score or how specific contracts affect it. Your JSS can change because:

- You receive poor public or private feedback from one or more clients.
- You receive positive public or private feedback from one or more clients.
- A higher-value job is added to your score and outweighs lower-value jobs.
- Jobs you completed in the past are no longer considered because they are outside the score's time frame.

You can find more information under the "Why did my JSS change?" section in this article. Additionally, please know that if one of your clients has been previously flagged (or has been suspended for Terms of Service violations), their feedback will not count against your JSS
~ Luiggi
Abdullah J Community Member

I have recently increased my job success with very difficulty from 23 to 71%. But last night i saw my job success has decreased to 66%. This is not fair UPWORK. I need Justice. Please help me.

Luiggi R Moderator

Hi Abdullah,

Please know that your Job Success Score is calculated on rolling windows, and the highest score in this rolling window is your Job Success Score. Many factors go into your JSS calculation, including public and private feedback given when the contract is closed, the dollar weight of the contract, etc. We won't be able to share information about any specific feedback, but you can check the explanation of how JSS is calculated here.
~ Luiggi
Saweera B Community Member

Hi dear Upwork community, today my job success will down 100% to 78% decrease. I complete my jobs with 5 star review with my clients and today I see my JSS is 78% what's the issue with my profile.

And I also see JSS increase and decrease terms in this term Upwork support team asks we will increase and decrease half of the 6 to 12 months progress like that so now my job success is 97%+ and please tell me when Upwork community resolve this issue.

Thanks.

Upwork Community and Support Team.

Nkechi Lilian E Community Member

Hi, Can my job success score be removed from my profile dashboard and stats for now because it keeps reducing instead of Increasing. The highest it has been was 65% but even after completing my last project with a 5 star rating, it reduced to 45% instead of Increasing. Kindly help me to remove the job success score from public display pending when it will increase. Regards 

Pradeep H Moderator

Hi Nkechi,

I’m sorry to hear about your Job Success Score drop, but we're afraid that we won't be able to comment on an individual score or how specific contracts affect it. Factors such as private and public feedback, the dollar weight of the projects you've completed, and the long-term relationships with your clients can have an impact on your overall score.

I regret to inform you that there is no option to hide your score from your Upwork profile but you may want to check this article to learn more about the JSS displayed on your profile and how you can improve them.

- Pradeep
Vikram K Community Member

Hello Upwork Team,

I hope you are doing well.

Subject: Job Success Score Decrease from 100% to 81%;

I checked my profile's Job Success Score 2 to 3 days ago, and it was 100%. However, it is now showing as 81%. Could you please look into this matter and provide an explanation for this decrease? 

Thank you for your attention to this issue.

Best regards,

Vikram

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members