🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Why do these questions exist? Only #4 makes s...
Page options
jpb555
Community Member

Why do these questions exist? Only #4 makes sense? What answers do they expect?

You will be asked to answer the following questions when submitting a proposal:

1. How do you know when your writing has been successful?
  2. What formats are you comfortable writing in?
  3. How do you incorporate feedback and edits into your work?
  4. Describe your recent experience with similar projects
6 REPLIES 6
celgins
Community Member

The client chose to include those questions and they will see your answers at the beginning of your proposal.

All four questions can be relevant, but it depends on what's being written. In this case, the client probably chose questions related to writing even though the questions may not be applicable to the writing assignment.

If you want to see how Upwork defines those questions and possible answers, click here.

the-right-writer
Community Member

Clients don't know what to ask, so they use Upwork's suggestions.

If I really want the job, I will fill out the silly questions, because some clients are good, but not knowledgeable about hiring. However, I think I have answered those once. I'm not going to answer basic questions unless there is a very good reason for it.

If you are a writer, write something if you really want this job.

kkears
Community Member

I've wondered the same -- I have a document saved of canned responses for these question so I can quickly paste them in when needed. 

celgins
Community Member

I agree with Jeanne--the questions can be silly, especially depending on the type of writing expected. I think some clients just want to sound smart and inquisitive, so they use Upwork's suggested questions.

However, I always recommend answering the questions since your responses are shown at the beginning of your cover letter. When the client opens your cover letter, your answers to the questions are shown at the top. If a freelancer chooses not to answer the questions or provides nonsensical answers, the client sees it first and must scroll to reach the actual cover letter. I haven't been on the client side in a minute, but I think it is still setup that way.

Unless they changed policy in the last five days, you are correct.

Yes, if you are going to apply, you have to answer those questions. For some freelancers, it is a dealbreaker.

spectralua
Community Member

It is good firewall for bots. Simple bot will never answer to questions, Chatgpt can do. Also answers show if you read them.

But one question is enough. I dont like stupid many questions there, look like stupid client also will be hard to work with.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members