cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is it impossible to end a contract and NOT leave feedback for the Client?

c0nsilience
Ace Contributor
Benjamin H Member Since: Mar 12, 2015
1 of 19

I don't understand this...

Upwork is an engaging platform and I've been utilizing it since it was oDesk.  Even though I recognize that some things are slightly skewed in favor of a client, why is it possible for client's to choose not to leave feedback, but we cannot?

To be blunt, sometimes a client really is from hell, and we'd just like to close it down and move on, focusing energy on projects that are worthwhile.  However, we have to leave feedback as freelancer's.  What's up with that and why is that not required of client's?

Thanks!

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
2 of 19

@Benjamin H wrote:
why is it possible for client's to choose not to leave feedback?

It isn't.

Whoever closes the contract, be it client or freelancer, has to leave feedback. The other party (be it client of freelancer) can do so, but does not have to.

c0nsilience
Ace Contributor
3 of 19

Ah, I see.

Thanks for the info!

This widget could not be displayed.
4 of 19

@Petra R wrote:

It isn't.

Whoever closes the contract, be it client or freelancer, has to leave feedback. The other party (be it client of freelancer) can do so, but does not have to.

This is not a good feature. There are a lot of clients whose profiles show a pattern of not leaving feedback for whatever reasons. I try to avoid those clients. Even good clients sometimes have a team member who does not know how to handle the contract well. The freelancer cannot do more than ask for closing the contract. If this does not happen you can only close it yourself and leave feedback and the client does not leave a feedback then. And this will harm your JSS if you have several clients with no feedback. Upwork should install a mechanism that forces both sides to leave feedback. I would not care about this if the freelancer would not be punished with a decreasing JSS for clients that do not leave feedback.

petra_r
Community Guru
5 of 19

@Margarete M wrote:

@Petra R wrote:

It isn't.

Upwork should install a mechanism that forces both sides to leave feedback.

How would you do that? Send the army to the client's offices?

c0nsilience
Ace Contributor
6 of 19

Yeah, it's a tad ridiculous.

Here's a good example of when it would be nice to be able to end a contract and not leave feedback:

When a client pauses a contract for no reason whatsoever and you've sent the work over, so you're squared up and all that's really left is to end the contract.  However, you don't because you know that you won't rate this client highly and once you've left them less than favorable feedback, it will prompt/motivate them to leave you less than favorable feedback. 

Unless it's a fixed-price project, it's not like you can file a dispute on them, all the while your JSS is negatively affected because some nitwit refuses to unpause a contract.

I'm 100% certain that there are bad freelancers on Upwork.  Likewise, there are top-notch freelancers that work their tails off and still manage to have a bad client squeeze through the cracks every now and again.

Since Upwork dervies their income from fees generated by freelancers, you would think it would be in their best interest to side with the freelancer, if they are going to be biased at all.

C'est la vie!

vladag
Community Manager
Vladimir G Community Manager Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
7 of 19

Hi Benjamin,

Please note that the scenario you have mentioned doesn't apply to contracts on Upwork. Upwork's feedback system

is double-blind, and your client won't see your feedback until they have left theirs, or after the ability to leave feedback expires.

Untitled
8 of 19

@Petra R wrote:

@Margarete M wrote:

@Petra R wrote:

It isn't.

Upwork should install a mechanism that forces both sides to leave feedback.

How would you do that? Send the army to the client's offices?

Instead of sending the army to the client's office (if he has one) there are different options: either punishing the client (for example that he cannot place new job offers or that he has additional costs) or rewarding him for good behaviour with some kind of refund. As soon as the client's wallet will be affected he will be keen on leaving feedback. This would be a much better solution than punishing the freelancer with a decline of his JSS for something that is not his/her fault. Or if what I suggested is to complicated it should never affect the freelancer's JSS if the client does not leave feedback.

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
9 of 19

Just to clear up any confusion... Upwork does not have an army. Not does it command any other group of armed operatives, such as a police force or militia.

If it did possess such a resource, presumably their first order of business would be to go after the scammers. The continuing high level of scammer activity is proof enough for me that Upwork has no army.

petra_r
Community Guru
10 of 19

@Margarete M wrote:
Or if what I suggested is to complicated it should never affect the freelancer's JSS if the client does not leave feedback.

The occasional one does not affect the freelancer, only if there is a pattern or an higher number of them.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS