cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is it so difficult to get a client to close a contract

Community Guru
Suzanne N Member Since: Aug 15, 2012
1 of 23

I had a client who was suppose to be a one week to two week trial. They hired myself and one other. They gave me one hours work, and the other gal has not worked at all. This was two months ago. The client communication is like pulling teeth. I have to keep sending messages till she finally answers. Last week I finally got an answer that this was a slow time of year and she would most likely not have any work for me till January. We also discussed the trial offer being closed and the amount we agreed upon if they continued to keep me and she agreed to start the new contract at the new rate.

Original Contract states in writing on Upwork that I was hired for a trial and I would have more money at end of contract. 

Anyways a week to two weeks later I still have new contract and I send another email at beginning of week through basecamp as that is how she specifically ask me to contact her. No reply. (I really get aggrevated when someone does not communicate) I send an email through Upwork today asking if she would close the contract and the contract had been paused by Upwork. I get an answer but she tells me to close it.

Well my frustration with this whole thing is it takes her a week to answer anything if at all. Now it will be another week, before I can get her to close the contract. I did send a note and ask her nicely could you please close the contract and leave appropriate feedback and that I looked forward to working with her when  work picked up again, but as it has been it will be a week to two weeks before she closes the contract if it all.

How the heck do I handle this? I am to the point I don't care if my JSS is hit, but I have done my part with this job. I did the work she ask. She even discussed the new contract. I have this all in writing in email and on Upwork. I have just gotten so frustrated that the last few contracts this year have been bad communication and scoop creeps. I have to be punished for what they do which is not fair. I don't expect Upwork to change anything, but I am venting. 

I have had less trouble with new clients off of Upwork then I have with new ones this year.

What the heck would you do in this situation?

Community Guru
Jean S Member Since: Oct 22, 2007
2 of 23

Me...I would close it during a 2 week period where I have some excellent feedback so it won't affect me and then I'd move on and probably never work for her again.

Community Guru
3 of 23

Jean I am not sure what you mean you would close it within a two week period where you got good feedback. 

I can't get her to reply to email. I highly doubt she is going to leave feedback. That is what is so frustrating. I would close it if I thought she would she would give me feedback. But trying to get her to reply to an email is like pulling teeth.

I think I got it. I do long term contracts so a two week period when I got good feedback isn't going to do diddly for me.

Community Guru
4 of 23

@Suzanne N wrote:

Jean I am not sure what you mean you would close it within a two week period where you got good feedback. 

I can't get her to reply to email. I highly doubt she is going to leave feedback. That is what is so frustrating. I would close it if I thought she would she would give me feedback. But trying to get her to reply to an email is like pulling teeth.

I think I got it. I do long term contracts so a two week period when I got good feedback isn't going to do diddly for me.

Well the thing is she is not going to close it so you will have to. Pick the right time to do it so it will not affect your JS score. Close it when you have another contract that will be closing soon or has just closed during the two week period between the JS score update. 

Community Guru
5 of 23

That is the problem I have one other contract. It is a long term contract. I have no other contracts closing soon and again, I will reinerate I do long term jobs, so even if if I pick up another client soon it is not going to close soon.

I am to the point I am not really wanting to take any more clients on Upwork. I have to constantly worry about the clients behavior and getting punished for it.

I have all the emails that state it was a two week contract and that she was going to hire me for more (which I don't want to work for her again) but also that they had no work until January in an email. I also have in the notes she wrote tonight and told me to close it.

But I guess no feedback is not going to damage me to much or I hope or hopefully if she does give feedback she will give me decent feedback. But I would prefer she closed it. For one if I close it and left the feedback I really would like to I may end up with poor feedback.

The sad part is when she communicated she was great at it. I got paid for the hour I did. But I could not get her to answer me for a week at a time. The other thing that is weird is she had me answering her (she ask me to through Basecamp (that is not the weird part) but her last name was different there then on Upwork. The other thing is if I search for the business name it is a man's name. She hired me through email which is odd for what I do but I figured it was fine I was doing some photo edits and Wordpress stuff. It really did not take a phone call for it. So I am concerned about ending up with my JSS dropping more because of a client.

Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
6 of 23

I'm about to close my 7th contract in 2 weeks from people going MIA. lol

I have one on hold, and the guy told me last month that the business was shifting the marketing to content this month and asked me to hold off. It's only the third, but now I'm stuck leaving it open for another month, and it's been a month already, so I'm sure this will start affecting me soon.

Community Guru
7 of 23

@Suzanne N wrote:

That is the problem I have one other contract. It is a long term contract. I have no other contracts closing soon and again, I will reinerate I do long term jobs, so even if if I pick up another client soon it is not going to close soon.

I am to the point I am not really wanting to take any more clients on Upwork. I have to constantly worry about the clients behavior and getting punished for it.

I have all the emails that state it was a two week contract and that she was going to hire me for more (which I don't want to work for her again) but also that they had no work until January in an email. I also have in the notes she wrote tonight and told me to close it.

But I guess no feedback is not going to damage me to much or I hope or hopefully if she does give feedback she will give me decent feedback. But I would prefer she closed it. For one if I close it and left the feedback I really would like to I may end up with poor feedback.

The sad part is when she communicated she was great at it. I got paid for the hour I did. But I could not get her to answer me for a week at a time. The other thing that is weird is she had me answering her (she ask me to through Basecamp (that is not the weird part) but her last name was different there then on Upwork. The other thing is if I search for the business name it is a man's name. She hired me through email which is odd for what I do but I figured it was fine I was doing some photo edits and Wordpress stuff. It really did not take a phone call for it. So I am concerned about ending up with my JSS dropping more because of a client.

I agree Suzanne...I worry myself to the point of being sick about these clients who do this. They don't understand how damaging what they are doing, can be to us. I would just leave it for now and not worry about it. One way or the other it will get closed. I am just trying to think of ways to limit the damage.

I took have clients where they are all chatty and nice....until. And then they go silent. Drives me crazy. 

They only thing we can do is try to figure out ways to limit the damage. Heck around here it could stay open for 6 months or more so if you can wait til something is closing that's the only think I can think of.

Community Guru
8 of 23

I guess this is what I do leave it alone and maybe she will respond and close it.

She was very chatty when she hired me then went silent on me sigh.... I am  not sure what is with the clients this year. It seems like there is a whole new breed out there.

Thank goodness the ones I have off of Upwork aren't so flakey, albeit I don't have to worry about a JSS score off of Upwork.

Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
9 of 23

"She was very chatty when she hired me then went silent on me sigh..."

I get a lot of "I have sooo much work for you." And I just think OK. I don't know why they feel compelled to say this. It's ok if they need a one-off. I get it. But wow they all say it.

Community Guru
10 of 23

Jennifer,

I would have been ok with I need someone every once in awhile, but this gal hired two people for this job. The poor other gal got no work and I got an hour. If they didn't have much work and slowed down in Dec. till Jan. I would have been fine. But please communicate with me.

I am a client as well and I communicate with my freelancers. I expect the same from clients.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS