cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is the job open when client already hired someone?

Andrie A Member Since: Oct 12, 2015
1 of 16

Client Activity on this Job

Hires: 1

Proposals: 43

Interviewing: 2

Seing the above stats on job post. Why not just close the job to avoid unecessary connects being used? Smell fishy.
Cat Tongue Cat Tongue Cat Tongue

I come from Elance, when the project have been awarded, should not be able to send any proposal. 

Community Leader
Sebastian N Member Since: Sep 22, 2015
2 of 16

That can have different reasons.

Some clients hire multiple freelancers and set up an early milestone for some testing. Then they continue the contract with the freelancer that delivered the best results. (Not all clients do that, some require samples for free - which you shouldn't do)

Other clients need to hire multiple freelancers because their projects are too huge or because a freelancer doesn't have all skills required to finish the whole project on his own but enough expertise in one specific part of the job and the client doesn't want to miss out on hiring him.

// edit: I just noticed that too, Nichola L Smiley Very Happy Also no need to apologize!

Ace Contributor
Lana Elizabeth B Member Since: Apr 11, 2016
3 of 16

Honestly, I thought it was a bug. 

Doesn't it make more sense for the client to just open up two different job postings if they need two different people, instead of having a situation where my proposals feed is full of these so-called active candidacies for jobs where the hiring is clearly over?

I don't see why a client would ever have to miss out on working with somebody if they wanted to, just because they hired somebody else for one specific gig; it's pretty easy to invite freelancers to a new job posting if they are truly interested in working with that person. Plus having things set up this way could, as you said, inadvertently encourage a spec work environment - and that's bad for everybody. 

Still getting used to the Upwork platform after Elance, and I just find this feature annoying… It's not very user friendly when I have to scroll through all these old candidacies that are classified as open for no reason before I can find my current opportunities. 

Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
4 of 16

There could be various reasons, but sometimes a client will leave a job open, because he or she is leaving his/her hiring options open, and might want to hire someone else for the same job. For example, a client who has a translating job that involves thousands of words - more than one translator could handle - will often hire more than one freelancer, which on Upwork shows as a 'hire'.

And by the way, it is the same on Elance; a job does not automatically get closed when a client hires a freelancer.

Edited to add: Apologies Sebastian, our posts crossed!

5 of 16
Thanks for the answers.

So what different it makes it the job post that specifically stated "hires more than one freelancer”?

I can see the purpose on leaving the job open for a complicated job. But for a 'simple' one like converting a .jpg to vector?

Only to get a notification that the job is closed when the project is finished successfully? Lol
Matt K Member Since: Jan 11, 2016
6 of 16

I think it's just a scam to burn up Connects.  You can only upgrade to one extra batch per month, they then sell them at $1 each!  

The system is obviously designed to NOT close up jobs, even when a contract is accepted and the job in progress. 

7 of 16

Is there any way that a client can add a contractor even after the job have been awarded?
Maybe an option to open the job again in case there's an issue with the current contractor?

One thing I've learned is to triple check if Hires: is still 0 / have not reach the number of required contrator in the description.

Sometime, While I'm typing my proposal etc.. Submit my proposal to find out that the client already hired someone. LOL   Bad luck, not because the job is still open tho.

I'm pretty sure there's a better way to handle that kind of situation. On Elance, even tho I have typed the proposal, when I press submit, it will just show an error that the job is no longer available if I remember it correctly.

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
8 of 16

Hi Andrie,

Yes, the client can choose to keep a job posting open or can re-open a closed posting. Some clients need to hire more than one freelancer for a job.

~ Valeria
Untitled
9 of 16

What is the different for a job posting marked with "Needs to hire x Freelancers" and those without one?

If the option is available, why not forcing them to used it instead? When a job is marked "Needs to hire x Freelancers" it's understandable if it is keep open. The client already know how many contractors they need.

Woudn't it be best if they choose not to marked the project with "Needs to hire x Freelancers", the job post closed automatically when it's awarded.

Manpreet S Member Since: Mar 31, 2019
10 of 16

I am trying but I can't understand the reason to keep a job open after hiring. A freelancer should atleast be notified with a pop-up message saying "Client has already hired someone but you're still free to submit your proposal". This is more plausible than keeping it in a blind spot. It looks nothing more than a way of making freelancers spend their connects for no reason.

A pop-up message seems very reasonable and required.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS