Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

another hour wasted with a scammer

mfmaxwell
Community Leader
Fernanda M Member Since: Apr 10, 2016
1 of 11

one hour interview just to tell me at the end "we don't use Upwork for payment. We use upwork only to find people who could assist us". 

*****BLEEEEP*****

Why do people think Upwork is the classifieds section!!!!!

mthornton-cpc
Community Guru
Melissa T Member Since: Dec 5, 2014
2 of 11

Ugh, that suuuuuuuuuucks! So awful when everything seems legit and then *bam* it all goes south. 

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
3 of 11

Fernanda,

thank you for telling us about this.

That is very disturbing and very inappropriate.

I don't think you did anything wrong here. But I think an hour interview is way too long.

You will be better off if you develop strategies for moving interviews into official contracts more quickly.

When I hire contractors, I either skip the interview phase altogether or spend no more than 5 minutes doing an interview.

I think an hour-long interview almost always means scam or client getting free work/free consultation.

mfmaxwell
Community Leader
4 of 11

@Preston H wrote:

Fernanda,

thank you for telling us about this.

That is very disturbing and very inappropriate.

I don't think you did anything wrong here. But I think an hour interview is way too long.

You will be better off if you develop strategies for moving interviews into official contracts more quickly.

When I hire contractors, I either skip the interview phase altogether or spend no more than 5 minutes doing an interview.

I think an hour-long interview almost always means scam or client getting free work/free consultation.

Totally agree. From now on I'll start my interviews with "Greetings, first of all I would like to make sure this interview is intended for a freelance job done through the Upwork platform" 

yitwail
Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
5 of 11

@Fernanda M wrote:
Totally agree. From now on I'll start my interviews with "Greetings, first of all I would like to make sure this interview is intended for a freelance job done through the Upwork platform" 

Out of curiosity, what sort of hiring history did this 'client' have? Bet you it was either 0 hires, or a very low hire rate. Those are the clients to be especially wary of.

6 of 11

@John K wrote:

Out of curiosity, what sort of hiring history did this 'client' have? Bet you it was either 0 hires, or a very low hire rate. Those are the clients to be especially wary of.

Yup. I only accepted because it was specifically targeted to my country. 

mtngigi
Community Guru
Virginia F Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
7 of 11

An especially compelling reason for vetting all clients who come to this site. We all get vetted, why not the clients as well?

tlsanders
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
8 of 11

@Virginia F wrote:

An especially compelling reason for vetting all clients who come to this site. We all get vetted, why not the clients as well?

Probably because they want the clients to come here. Since they have hundreds of other ways to find freelancers without the hassle, few are likely to hurdle artificial barriers to choose this one. 

lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
9 of 11

I talked about this in the Coffee Break section but I once wasted a good hour with a guy who was either delusional or a scammer. I was stupid and didn't get the URL before taking a Skype call. He proceeds to ask me employee style questions like "what inspires you to write" and "what are your strengths" HUH?? 

So he shows me his site and tries to convince me that it's getting millions of visitors a month. Look at the site, do some searches, nope. No monetization on it, so no income. Then he tells me he needs me for 5-6 hours a day. I'm already annoyed and I say to him "umm, you realize that's almost $400/day just for me on a site that doesn't look like it's making any money?" He gets annoyed now with me and we had a very uncomfortable closing.

I see him post every once in a while on here. Says he needs 10 freelancers for an Android site that gets millions of visitors a day. I have no idea if he cheats freelancers, but no way is he paying my rates to anyone 5-6 hours a day.

This widget could not be displayed.
10 of 11
This widget could not be displayed.

@John K wrote:

@Fernanda M wrote:

And posting a new job offer for another language nearly every day... 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS