🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » appyling for work
Page options
rpeck2000
Community Member

appyling for work

I am frustrated. I am English, born and raised. I now live in France, but tgat doesn't change my nationality and therefore my skillset as a writer and editor of English texts. So, why am I unable to even apply for some projects, even when a nationality is at most a 'preferred' option? I've only just moved to France and never had this issue before when applying for jobs in the US or Australia. Why doesn't Upwork recognise my nationality rather than my place of residence? Or even better, why can it not let clients decide whether someone's profile fit the job, rather than place of residence or nationality? Some of the best editors of english I've worked with have all been from countries where english isn't their first language!
4 REPLIES 4
petra_r
Community Member

Rosemary P wrote:
I am frustrated. I am English, born and raised. I now live in France, but tgat doesn't change my nationality and therefore my skillset as a writer and editor of English texts. So, why am I unable to even apply for some projects, even when a nationality is at most a 'preferred' option?

Because it is "location" - not "nationality"

Nationality doesn't come into it at all. (Nor should it, that would be clear discrimination)

And why are you "unable?" (except for US and UK only job posts which you don't generally see to apply to them anyway?)

Which was kind of my point... where I live should also have no bearing on whether I fulfil the skillset. This is supposed to be an international site. I have worked on it for five years. I have worked with clients all over the world and never been blocked from applying for anything until today. I have tried this morning to apply for jobs and received a message saying I need to change my address to apply. I can't change my address. It is where I live now. It is where I pay tax now. Why should anyone living in France/Spain wherever be ruled out of applying for work they are qualified for because they don't live in an english speaking country? Location is clearly just as discriminatory as nationality. My ability to do the work for a client in Canada or Australia is not impacted by my location and I was never stopped from applying for work in the US, Canada, Australia or anywhere else whilst I lived in the UK. So why can I not apply for them now?

Rosemary P wrote:
 I have tried this morning to apply for jobs and received a message saying I need to change my address to apply. I can't change my address. It is where I live now. 

That's because you haven't completed your current / new address. You only have "France"

It would be the same if it just said "Italy" or "Great Britain" - you need to complete it. Nothing to do with your location, everything to do with your profile not being complete.

Edited to add: I can see you now completed your address, which should fix the problem with not being able to apply. 

When I put in my address originally I had put in all the details, so why it
then seemed to show that half of it was missing I don't understand. As you
say, I have now changed this and do seem to be able to apply for things
again.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members