cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ask inquiries to client before placing proposal

sefremiadou
Sofia E Member Since: May 18, 2017
1 of 12

Hi, I am new here, and I would like to know how I can ask for clarifications about the job to client in order to place a right economical proposal. All the job descriptions that I am interested in are not detailed enough. Thank you in advance

vladag
Community Manager
Vladimir G Community Manager Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
2 of 12

Hi Sofia,

Please note that you can't communicate with clients before submitting a proposal. You can include all the question in the proposal, outlining that you'll be able to specify your rate once you have more information about their job scope and requirements.

Untitled
sefremiadou
3 of 12

So,

I click to "submit a proposal" I leave the 5$ at bid check box and then I write  my questions and that I will give him my proposal after he answers at the cover letter box?

vladag
Community Manager
Vladimir G Community Manager Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
4 of 12

Hi Sofia,

If there aren't enough details in the job description for you to at least bid a ball park figure and get an idea about the job scope, please flag it and our team will review and ask the client to provide additional details. 

Untitled
sefremiadou
5 of 12

I am confident that at least for my speciality ( engineering), freelancers should be able to post inquiries underneath the job description to client. It is almost imposible to give any economical proposals without knowing the designing codes or the square meters and the shape of the structure that we should design. You mean to "**bleep** it as inappropriate"?

gerrys
Community Guru
Gerry S Member Since: Nov 23, 2014
6 of 12

You get 60 (free) connects per month.

An application costs 2 connects; that's 30 applications.

The 2 connects is the "cost of doing business".

Without that, NOTHING would get done because every job posting would be flooded with nonsense questions / proposals (because it would cost nothing to do so).

Personally, I consider clients who won't prepare a proper job proposal and / or want to "chat" (versus an "interview" with an agenda) as not worthy of consideration. 99% of the time these clients will also have a "poor" history: low hire rate; spamming invites; etc.

It's not all bad; consider "poor job descriptions" as a good indicator of problems down the line.

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
7 of 12

Sofia, you can't ask questions BEFORE submitting a proposal because there are horrible pests who would abuse the privilege. It is not your fault. It is not Upwork's fault.

Not all job posts are meant for you. If a job doesn't have enough information for you, and you don't want to ask questions in your proposal, then leave it for other freelancers.

Many freelancers have the ability to work with clients who don't know how to write good job proposals. If that's not your thing, that's okay.

mrgam
Ace Contributor
Vicente G Member Since: Dec 30, 2009
8 of 12

I find most of the replies here to be a reflection of the bias of this platform in favor of the client (keep them on board as much as possible) and against the freelancer (dime a dozen, hungry for work multitude). The most practical though is Vladimir G's "please flag it and our team will review and ask the client to provide additional details."

But, if Upwork can hire frontliners to warn or remove proposals that are deemed sub-quality; why can't frontliners be also hired to evaluate job postings from clients? (I had two of mine removed last month. First time I asked why? I was informed that such explanations were confidential! How on earth would I know whether I made a mistake or not?)

Attached are two files of exchanges with Upwork supporting my observations. They can be beeped out, but, at least read them.

Aside from paying 2 connects for the honor of applying to job postings, Vladimir G's proposal is suggesting that freelancers do Upwork's duty to keep the job postings reasonable for freelancers to be able to make a responsive proposal, instead of wasting time asking for clarification. It seems like this situation promotes the consumption of connects and it works against the freelancers while pampering lazy clients that tend to waste more of everyone's time.

Consider a proposal that says "more details to follow". Why should this job posting be allowed?

aocumen
Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
9 of 12

Hi Vicente, 

There are times that some clients do not have enough time to post enough details about their job, but would need to start vetting freelancers for their project. While this may be counter-productive to some freelancers, other clients use this as a gauge of whether or not their freelancers are the right fit for their job - Are they asking the right questions? Are they reading between the lines? 

As you have experienced, we have procedures in place if the team sees that the job posted needs more information to help freelancers assess whether they are the right fit for the job. But I'll make sure to share your sentiments with the team to help improve on these processes. 

~ Avery
Upwork
mrgam
Ace Contributor
Vicente G Member Since: Dec 30, 2009
10 of 12

If this is accepted as a legitimate reason, why not make a policy for it?

Then, the freelancer is aware of this and  Upwork should not charge the freelancer for any connects. Charging should only be made when a bid is made; not when clarifications or questions a re asked by the freelancer because the client encourages him to do so.

An imaginative client is certainly better to have than a lazy client, don't you think so?

In as far as my two disallowed proosals were concerned; I do not think that the client purposely gave scant information because all that data extraction or conversion needs is the source file and the results template. How much more creative can a freelancer make a proposal to do a very simple job?

In fact, I have suggested before to Upwork that PDF conversion job postings be required to provide a sample of the PDF or something similar to it and the results template, so that the freelancer can prepare a sample and present it to the client without having to waste time asking for clarifications. Wouldn't that save everyone time? The Upwork frontliners would not have to think when they see the sample and the template. Those would be sufficient for the client and freelancer to agree on a proposal submitted.

Let's keep things simple! No convoluted alibis, please.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS