🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » do I get paid to invite freelancer to join th...
Page options
ad76ab66
Community Member

do I get paid to invite freelancer to join this website

do I get paid to invite freelancers to join this website and how to do that? 

11 REPLIES 11
petra_r
Community Member

Abdul Fatir H wrote:

do I get paid to invite freelancers to join this website

No, obviously you don't.

Upwork is literally drowning in freelancers and the very last thing it needs is more of them.

ad76ab66
Community Member

It is different that they don't but I would disagree having more Freelander is a problem for Upwork it is actually better for them to have more freelancers as a business. 

Abdul Fatir H wrote:

It is different that they don't but I would disagree having more Freelander is a problem for Upwork it is actually better for them to have more freelancers as a business. 

Evidently, Upwork doesn't agree with you, because there's no referral programme. They already attract droves of freelancers without having to pay any incentives.

Well, thank you all for answering my questions.

That has been the practice to share some incentive and that also helps motivate the workforce. For example, many companies give dividends when you buy stock, Amazon, on the other hand, has never paid a dividend. It's all about values nothing wrong or right. 

kinector
Community Member

Abdul, I'm very curious now. Where did you get this idea from?

It is very normal practice, you bring people as a reference and you get paid. The most expensive commodity on earth is knowledge and contacts. 

Abdul:
You are completely correct.

And Upwork DOES have strong incentive programs to bring in new clients.

In fact, Upwork has a program through which freelancers who bring in new clients can pay zero fees. That can add up to significant money in a freelancer's pocket... paying zero fees rather than 20% or 10% fees.

https://community.upwork.com/t5/Freelancers/0-fee-when-you-bring-your-own-client/td-p/387330

The key is to understand that paying clients are indeed a valuable, much sought addition to the Upwork platform. They are new customers. That is different from freelancers, who Upwork values, but does not need to do anything to incentivize to come to the site beyond the many perks that Upwork ALREADY offers its freelancers.

petra_r
Community Member

Abdul Fatir H wrote:

It is very normal practice, you bring people as a reference and you get paid. 

If you bring clients. Clients are valuable and much needed.

When Upwork already has far too many freelancers and the vast majority of new freelancers never earn a single Dollar (mening they don't contribute to Upwork's revenue), it would be ridicuous to offer any incentive to bring more of something there is already far too much of.

People are desperately trying to get into Upwork. People PAY to get onto Upwork. With everyone trying to get into Upwork, why would Upwork pay? The mere idea is bizzare if you understand the marketplace.

Ultimately, the answer to your question is still "No!"

ad76ab66
Community Member

I don't even know you all are from Upwork or just other users like me, in that case, I am wasting my time :-). The way I see responses here sounds like you are the decision-maker which is most likely not the case. From my perspective, if you bring someone and they do generate revenue what is wrong with that for Upwork to motivate them and reward to bring people?  

I do not have anyone to bring but just got in the discussion because I think most reply above is saying something else. 

Example: You bring person XYZ, she/he generates $5000 in a year, that's $1000 take for Upwork, why not give whatever to the person who brought a performer. 

Abdul Fatir H wrote:

I don't even know you all are from Upwork or just other users like me, in that case, I am wasting my time :-). The way I see responses here sounds like you are the decision-maker which is most likely not the case. From my perspective, if you bring someone and they do generate revenue what is wrong with that for Upwork to motivate them and reward to bring people?  

I do not have anyone to bring but just got in the discussion because I think most reply above is saying something else. 

Example: You bring person XYZ, she/he generates $5000 in a year, that's $1000 take for Upwork, why not give whatever to the person who brought a performer. 

Abdul, I get your question and why you'd have some interest. While some businesses may need a referral program, Upwork doesn't. Ultimately they do what they need. So there's your answer. 

petra_r
Community Member

Abdul Fatir H wrote:

Because this wouldn't improve Upwork's bottom line by a single Cent.

If you didn't bring some person to Upwork, one of the absolute glutt of freelancers already bidding on every project would be generating the $ 5000 instead. They would not generate money that would, were they not there, not be generated.

Statistically it is also far more likely that the person you refer gets rejected (most are) or, if they do get accepted, never earn a single Dollar (as is the case for the vast majority of new freelancers).

Under the circumstances, the very last thing Upwork would want to do is pay people to bring more of something there is way too much alreay. That would be completely bonkers.

Abdul Fatir H wrote:

From my perspective, if you bring someone and they do generate revenue what is wrong with that-

Same as above: Additional freelancers do not generate additional revenue.

Additional clients do. 

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members