🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » hit victim
Page options
aab09314
Community Member

hit victim

Good afternoon, I was the victim of a scam by a company through the platform, help me.

10 REPLIES 10
sofia2008
Community Member

Can you provide more details so people can try and help you?

I performed a service for the sharethough company, in the end I was ordered to pay $130 in fees in order for me to receive my payment. I paid $130 and they didn't release my payment. I would like to know how this case will turn out?

Hi Mateus,

Thank you for reaching out to us. Could you please click on my name and send me a PM with more information about the contract and the client you are referring to?

Please know that a real client will never ask you to give them money to start working, cash a check for them, work for free, or provide your personal information. I also encourage you to let us know if a TOS violation has happened by using the Flag as Inappropriate option throughout the platform. You can learn more about user reporting here.

Additionally, feel free to check this help article and this thread to help you stay safe on Upwork. 

~ Nikola
Upwork
pgiambalvo
Community Member

If you used the time tracker correctly, you might fall under payment protection. If not, you will not get paid anything.

I got the job done on time, but I'm feeling deeply cheated as I paid $130 in fees to get paid for the work I did.

I have screenshots of me talking to them, and I have proof that I paid that fee.

You need to read the TOS. You can never send or receive money outside the platform. The only way for you to "pay a fee" to a client is to violate TOS, which they prey on you for not doing your homework and learning what the rules are. Read the scam warning blog from Wes to stay safe. And then go re-read the TOS. 

You should not have paid that fee and you will never get it back. But like I said, if you used the time tracker correctly, Upwork might pay you for those hours, but since you violated the ToS, probably not.

Doesn't look like there was ever a contract.  So not covered. 

r2streu
Community Member

Never, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever pay a client. If they pay too much, you can choose to refund. But the TOS states that ALL payments are to be made through the Upwork system--which doesn't actually allow YOU as the freelancer to pay the client unless it is as stated above (refund). 

This is a good lesson for the real world: Whether on Upwork or not, there is no such thing as a legitimate client who will ask you to send them money in order for you to get paid. 

It also sounds as if you could use some time going over the Upwork TOS and help documents to get a better feel for how things work on this platform. If used correctly, Upwork can help protect you--but you HAVE to use it the way it's designed, which means understanding how to take on and execute new contracts. 

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members