🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » i am in intermediet level but when going to a...
Page options
33f1638e
Community Member

i am in intermediet level but when going to apply for jobs its asking for huge ammount of connects

hello there, 5 days ago i shifted to expert level by my own dicission,then after 2 days i also get back on my intermediete level by own.from then when i am going to bid for any jobs its charging too much connects,

i dont know whats the reasons.if shifting expert level is the cause please give back my intermediete level.i already get back but still now its happening.please someone help me.

thank you very much.best wishes for you.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
wlyonsatl
Community Member

Upwork says the algorithm that determines the amount of connects needed to submit a proposal is based on the perceived value the algorithm assigns to each project - a very hard task even for a very smart algorithm.

I have seen no evidence of each freelancer's expertness level being a factor in assigning the initial number of connects needed to apply, but we may have no way of knowing whether it is happening. We do know that the number of connects needed can take into account existing proposals and the associated connects, which would mean the algorithm's calculation is dynamic and can change as more and more proposals roll in.

Connects have become an important new source of significant revenue for Upwork, so we can expect them to continue to find ways to milk this particular cow.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
wlyonsatl
Community Member

Upwork says the algorithm that determines the amount of connects needed to submit a proposal is based on the perceived value the algorithm assigns to each project - a very hard task even for a very smart algorithm.

I have seen no evidence of each freelancer's expertness level being a factor in assigning the initial number of connects needed to apply, but we may have no way of knowing whether it is happening. We do know that the number of connects needed can take into account existing proposals and the associated connects, which would mean the algorithm's calculation is dynamic and can change as more and more proposals roll in.

Connects have become an important new source of significant revenue for Upwork, so we can expect them to continue to find ways to milk this particular cow.

feed_my_eyes
Community Member

In addition to Will's comment, Upwork has said that the number of connects can be raised or lowered according to the "demand" for a job, so it's entirely possible that difficult, complicated jobs that require experts - and therefore get fewer bids - require fewer connects to apply, whereas simple jobs that get hundreds of proposals can cost 16 connects. I believe this is intended to encourage more freelancers to apply to jobs that have too few bids, while discouraging them from applying to jobs that already have too many bids.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members