Did you mean: 

job open

lascap_01
Community Guru
Pascal S Member Since: Mar 23, 2016
1 of 14

Hi All

my client is not responding as i ask him to end a job

so i am wondering how long will it stay open?

what can i do to make sure he leaves a feedback?

thanks

tlsanders
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
2 of 14

Jobs that hang open for a long time hurt your JSS, so you don't want to let that happen.

You can't make the client leave feedback. You can only request that he close the job and explain that having the job pending open creates a black mark on your Upwork profile. If he closes the job, he'll be forced to leave feedback.

If he doesn't close the job you can do so yourself, but in that case the client will not be forced to leave feedback. He will, though, still have two weeks in which he can enter feedback, so you will have the opportunity to request that he do so after you close the job.

pcvasconcellos
Ace Contributor
Patricia V Member Since: Aug 3, 2016
BEST ANSWER
3 of 14

Hi Pascal!

I have recently posted a similar question here in the community and what some people suggested (and worked for me) was writing to the client again and explaining that if a job is left open but innactive for a long time, it might end up affecting my JSS in a negative way.

It took literally 5 minutes for him to close the contract and give me a great review!

Just be friendly, be clear, and it should turn out all right.

Now, if he still doesn't respond, I believe closing the contract yourself is better than leaving the job open indeterminately. Apparently closing a contract every once in a while will not harm your JSS.

Good luck!

View solution in original post

tlsanders
Community Guru
4 of 14

@Patricia V wrote:

Now, if he still doesn't respond, I believe closing the contract yourself is better than leaving the job open indeterminately. Apparently closing a contract every once in a while will not harm your JSS.

Good luck!

That's true. Actually, closing a contract never hurts your JSS. The reason for that concern is that too many contracts without feedback hurt your JSS, and when you close the contract yourself there's no way to ensure that you get feedback. But, the occasional job without feedback won't do any real harm as long as you have others with good feedback.

m_roganovic
Community Leader
Marina R Member Since: Sep 30, 2016
5 of 14

This is the same question I had. 

I have had a contract for three weeks now. It was supposed to be a trial period of two weeks. I've done the hours in the first week, some hours in the second week, and haven't heard from the client since. 

I sent him an email last night, no response. 

How long is "a long time" before the open job starts damaging my JSS?

tlsanders
Community Guru
6 of 14

That is one of the great unanswered questions around here. It's more than a couple of weeks and less than a few months, but unfortunately we don't know exactly where that point falls. I try to close contracts that have been inactive for three weeks or more, unless I know that there is more work coming.

In your situation, what you might want to do is wait another week or so and then send the client a message and say that because inactive contracts can hurt your ratings, you'd like to close the contract if he isn't going to have any more work for you in the immediate future (but, if you otherwise liked the client, tell him you'll be happy to start working again under a new contract if and when he's ready)

I've had clients re-up work when I sent that message and others who closed the contract but came back and opened a new one later.

m_roganovic
Community Leader
Marina R Member Since: Sep 30, 2016
7 of 14

Okay. 

Thank you so much, Tiffany. 

I'll contact him again soon, then. 

mthornton-cpc
Community Guru
Melissa T Member Since: Dec 5, 2014
8 of 14

Yep, I agree with Tiffany. I've had clients who have been great during the project, clear communicators, loved the work, and then they disappear when it's done. In those cases, I've reached out twice - the first time I ask if there's anything else needed on the job, happy to help, otherwise we can close it (and if it's a new client to Upwork I send the link to the client help section that shows how to end a contract and leave feedback). The second time (if I don't hear back), about a week later, I reiterate that I'm happy to work with the client again, but since this job is wrapped up we should close it. I let the client know that I'll close it in about a week or so if I don't hear back. Then, when I close the job, I send a third message confirming that I closed it and would love to work together again in the future. I space these out so that there is a job with feedback in my history between the ones I close myself. 

Sometimes a client gets their job finished and has no other reason to be active on the platform. When that happens it results in dormant jobs that were completed successfully... right up to the point where the contract should have been ended and feedback left. 

lascap_01
Community Guru
Pascal S Member Since: Mar 23, 2016
9 of 14

Thanks guys

It looks like once again i am facing another degradation of my JSS and once again it's not under my control

because my client is not responding for any reason, the job went well as far as i am concerned and i think of the same from his side..

this situation is getting more and more anoying.

😞

versailles
Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
10 of 14

@Pascal S wrote:

It looks like once again i am facing another degradation of my JSS and once again it's not under my control

This will not cause any degradation of your JSS because you don't have a pattern of jobs without feedback. A job without feedback every now and then won't impact your JSS. I have some of those and I never saw any negative impact.

Your current JSS is definitely not due to clients not leaving feedback.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS