🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » logged time to wrong contract, too late to ch...
Page options
jdmooney381
Community Member

logged time to wrong contract, too late to change

Hi, I logged some manual time to the wrong contract. This was a week ago, and UpWork will not let me delete the wrong charges or add the right ones. What is the right way to fix this?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
colettelewis
Community Member

I would contact both clients, explain your error and refund the one and ask the other to pay you as a bonus.  But I have flagged your post so that a moderator can help you. 

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
colettelewis
Community Member

I would contact both clients, explain your error and refund the one and ask the other to pay you as a bonus.  But I have flagged your post so that a moderator can help you. 

AndreaG

Hi James.

I'm sorry to hear about what happened. I would agree with Nichola on this, the best course would be to communicate with both clients in order to correct the situation.

~Andrea
Upwork
ericaandrews
Community Member

I definitely agree with Nichola's idea - brilliant idea, actually!

However, I would prioritize issuing the REFUND to the client that was unjustly charged right away before they become anxious/concerned and possibly file a 'dispute', which could turn a good working relationship ugly quickly.  Even if that client has not noticed the error yet, send them a message bringing it to their attention and letting them know you are taking immediate action to correct the issue by issuing a refund on your own rather than waiting for UW to resolve the issue. 

I actually think it might make that client think very highly of your integrity and trustworthiness if you are pro-active, admit the error, and correct it voluntarily.  

Personally, I would probably refund the mis-billed amount + a little 'extra' from previous earnings from that client, if possible, to apologize for the accounting mistake and the inconvenience caused.  It costs you a little now but is often a good investment in the 'long game' of maintaining a good relationship with the client.

The other client may or may not pay for that time through a 'bonus' - they are not really 'required' to, and I would 'ask' nicely but not pressure, because it wasn't their mistake, after all.   Hopefully, they do pay, but if not, your priority should be on protecting your UW reputation and trustworthiness by refunding the client who was unjustly charged first and as quickly as possible.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members