🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » manual time vs time tracker?
Page options
27976d7e
Community Member

manual time vs time tracker?

Is it better to add time manually or just use the time tracker? Whilst working on hourly contracts. I am worried that I might forget to turn the time tracker off.  Are there any options in the UpWork app that might remind you that it is on? Thank you.

8 REPLIES 8
anna_babicheva
Community Member

Manual time is not protected. When working on hourly contracts ALWAYS use time tracker. You can set it up to notify you about how long you're working on this particular task. 

Thanks, tracker it is.

mfaisalashfaq
Community Member

Using the Upwork time tracker should always be your first priority as it protects your work hours. The time tracker takes a snap of your screen every few minutes so if you have sound ON on your system then the screen capture sound should remind you that it's still on. 

Great thanks.

NikolaS

Hi Julian, 

I would like to remind you that manual time does not qualify for Hourly Payment Protection. Before you can bill for manual time, your client must enable the option (they can disable it at any time, too). So be sure to talk to them before you work any manual hours to ensure they are willing to pay you for that time. You can find more information in this help article

I would also like to let you know that you can turn on notifications on the Desktop App to let you know if the tracker took a screenshot. This can help you know if you have a Time tracker turned on in the background. Here is a screenshot for reference. 

~ Nikola
Upwork
27976d7e
Community Member

Thanks, for the advice. I hear the tracker clicking away as well. I added a manual in the past, but was always careful to confirm hours with the client.

lysis10
Community Member

Tracker always! Follow payment protection rules too always! If you walk away and forget to turn it off, it will turn off automatically after 10 mins of being idle. Done it a few times myself. It looks like it's on (the green switch is on) but it stops tracking time.

27976d7e
Community Member

Excellent. Thank you.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members