Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

no notification for unread messages...again

bc94
Community Guru
Reem H Member Since: Feb 8, 2017
1 of 21

Hi all, 

so recently I posted this thread about receiving an email of unread Upwork messages that did not display any notifications when I logged in from a laptop and I was told it was because when I opened the email it marked the notification as "read". fair enough. 

but then last night my client sent me a short message at 4 am my time, I was asleep and it wasn't too important anyway, again no notification whatsoever. I replied when I manually checked my messages on the site when I first logged in today (no emails or nothing at this point so far) then a few hours later I receive an email of an unread Upwork message and it was that same one.

now I have been on Upwork (browsing jobs, visiting the forum..etc) for hours now and I just thought I'd check my messages just in case and there WAS a new message sent more than an hour ago! no notification from the app, the messages tab didn't display any unread messages, nothing in the email....againI WAS active on the site for hours before and during the time it was sent.

Really Upwork?!

samrat3
Community Guru
Samrat C Member Since: Jun 1, 2016
2 of 21

Hi Reem H,

Based on the time you mentioned, it seems Upwork was down for scheduled maintenance for 3 hours. Not sure though.

bc94
Community Guru
3 of 21
Hi Samrat,

it still doesn't explain the huge delay, and today's messages.
kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Valeria K Community Manager Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
4 of 21

Hi Reem,

You have your notifications for unread messages set up to be delivered to you once an hour. You may want to switch that to "Immediately" if you want to receive emails about unread messages sooner. Go to Settings> Notification Settings in order to change that.

Screenshot_15.png

~ Valeria
Upwork
bc94
Community Guru
5 of 21
Thank you Valeria , I changed it

I hope that works. I received that email many hours after the message was sent (I even replied before I got the email)

and what about today's messages? I WAS online and no notification of any type was displayed.
kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
6 of 21

Reem,

It's because you have this box checked. If you are online and active, notifications won't be sent.

Screenshot_16.png

~ Valeria
Upwork
bc94
Community Guru
7 of 21

I was referring to the sound/notification the Upwork app displays on screen as well as the number of unread messages displayed over the Messages tab

the box has always been checked and I did get notified in the past while I was online (sound/notification from the app and a number displayed on the messages tab)

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
8 of 21

Reem, are you referring to desktop notifications? Could you please check if your Desktop App is set up properly to send those notifications. By clicking on your name at the bottom of the App and goigng to Settings> Messages. You may also need to restart the App to refresh it.

Screenshot_18.png

The message counter also shows only unread messages, so if you had a message room open and there were new messages, they won't show in the counter.

~ Valeria
Upwork
bc94
Community Guru
9 of 21

Oops! sent it too quickly

Edit: Yes Valeria the desktop notifications used to display and now they don't (not the last couple of times at least) and I didn't touch the settings at all.

here they are anyway 

messageapp.PNG

I am also taking about the number that is usually shown here before you open the unread messages

upmessage.PNG

Again both used to work normally before and I didn't change any settings (except for the one you suggested)

bc94
Community Guru
10 of 21
Yay it works again! (client just messaged me and both are working normally again)

Valeria I don't know what you did, but thank you Smiley Happy
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS