Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

non worked hours

swhite31
Ace Contributor
Sherry W Member Since: Feb 12, 2016
1 of 4

Hi

I am just curious to know if anyone else has had this happen to them. I had a client the other day request an interview which I accepted. Now I had my hourly rate per what Upwork suggested because of my experience in this field. First of all he offered me an hourly wage of 1/3 of what I had sent proposal for and second he wanted me available for 10 hours a day 6 days a week but I would only get paid for the 2 or 3 hours of acutal work. I thought that was a bit much to ask at such a low pay so I counter offered and he said if he could fit me in he would but I never heard back from him. Was this the right thing to do? I hate to turn down a job but I was not going to be tied to my computer for 50 hours a week with no pay for the majority of that time.

Sherry White

yitwail
Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
2 of 4

Sherry,

Asking for 1/3 the rate you proposed is one thing, insisting you be available 60 days a week while only paying you for 3 hours or less a day is absurd. You wouldn't be much worse off if you were an indentured servant.

Sandra T Member Since: Nov 26, 2014
3 of 4

@Sherry W wrote:

I hate to turn down a job but...

Don't think of that offer as a job but slave labour and you're perfectly fine Smiley Happy

boshoffirene
Community Guru
Irene B Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
4 of 4

You are well within your rights, Sherry. After all, that time you would be available to the client with no pay involved you could actually be doing something else that DOES pay...or if not....fiddle in the garden, walk the dog, go have a coffee, etc. Point is, you could spend that time much more productively.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS